Tank upgrade and moving anemone rock

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am upgrading from a 40 breeder with sump that is well established to a 110 gallon total volume system. I’ve used a completely different salt for this new system because I’ve been using my other brand for a very long time and not that happy with it. This new tank I used Tropic Marin bio-activ.
Ok so my question is: I’m transferring live rock from current system to new system. I’d like to move the anemone rock and as many inverts as I can to the new tank. I was planning on moving some of the smaller rocks today that don’t have corals on them but do I need to wait until the tank is cycled (which should be pretty quick with all the live rock?) to move the anemones? Do they need a cycled tank, I o ow corals do not. Still have to move my lights but can’t do that until I move my anemone rock.
As always, thanks for your help!

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s less about being cycled and more about developing a mature biome, which will happen more quickly with the transferred rock. I assume you are adding a bunch of new dry rock? What I’ve found is that the new rock will go through the ugly phases and can drive up phosphates and silicates initially. My anemones don’t seem to like that environment…..tough to say for certain how it will go as it depends on a lot of things.

OP
OP
Doglips56

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No new dry rock. I’ve been cycling the new rock for several months. I’m borrowing a par meter because my new tank is significantly deeper than my current tank and I’m adding t5’s as well. At first I’ll just be using my LED’s and will add the t5 for a couple of hours a day (non dimmable). My nems are pretty fussy and will close up when irritated but after a few days they figure things out, I just don’t want to shock them

Back