Tank upgrade, when can I add some LPS??

taylorn13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I just upgraded my 10 gallon to a 20 gallon innovative marine peninsula. Not sure what kind of start you would call this (if there even is any), but I basically used all the same rock in my 10 gallon (i kept them submerged and oxygenated during transfer) as well as filter media. I do have an extra bottle of beneficial bacteria just in case anything decided to crash on me, but everyone seems happy. Corals have all opened this morning (xenia is open but very angry as expected. I do only have soft corals and have kept them for about 3 months now without any casualties, so I wanted to get into some easy LPS, but not sure when to add one. I’m thinking about maybe getting like a $10 duncan or $20 blasts, just to see if my tank would be suitable, but with this whole upgrade, I’m not sure how to go about it anymore. If anyone has any experience or advice for this situation, it would be greatly appreciated!

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would give it a week or so just to make sure everything stabilizes out and no problems creep up. After that, add away! (I would say to get an acan...but I might have a bias)

OP
OP
taylorn13

taylorn13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to wait a week after this upgrade for my water params to get more stable, but I usually run at about 0.02ppm phosphates, 5-10ppm nitrates, 0 nitrites, 0 ammonia, 420ppm calcium, 9dkh alkalinity, 8.0pm, 1.025sg, and 78°f temp. My magnesium kit just ran out, so that is the only param i cannot give.

OP
OP
taylorn13

taylorn13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would give it a week or so just to make sure everything stabilizes out and no problems creep up. After that, add away! (I would say to get an acan...but I might have a bias)
Are they good beginner lps? I thought they were one of the harder ones to keep, but if they’re not I’ll definitely have to get one soon!!

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I just upgraded my 10 gallon to a 20 gallon innovative marine peninsula. Not sure what kind of start you would call this (if there even is any), but I basically used all the same rock in my 10 gallon (i kept them submerged and oxygenated during transfer) as well as filter media. I do have an extra bottle of beneficial bacteria just in case anything decided to crash on me, but everyone seems happy. Corals have all opened this morning (xenia is open but very angry as expected. I do only have soft corals and have kept them for about 3 months now without any casualties, so I wanted to get into some easy LPS, but not sure when to add one. I’m thinking about maybe getting like a $10 duncan or $20 blasts, just to see if my tank would be suitable, but with this whole upgrade, I’m not sure how to go about it anymore. If anyone has any experience or advice for this situation, it would be greatly appreciated!
I'd just give it a couple of days. Adding a butt load of bacteria and rock from a previous system is more than enough.

LPS are easy but diverse so many times it's not as easy as high flow/higher light for SPS, lower flow/lower light for lps, depending on what LPS you keep. I'd be more concerned about the flow/light placement for the specific lps you plan on keeping. I run an all LPS tank and have owned most everything except for cynarina, acanthos, and alveopora.

Duncans are indeed hardy but some can be fidgety to start. It takes them a while to become completely complacent. You'll hear many say they are the canary in the coal mine which has been the case in my experience. Blastos can also be fidgety. I've had some that only tolerate full shade and others that can take 75-100 par. You will have to play around with placement in the beginning to see where the best locations are.

The easiest LPS to care for imo are acans, chalices, cyphastrea, and favia.

OP
OP
taylorn13

taylorn13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd just give it a couple of days. Adding a butt load of bacteria and rock from a previous system is more than enough.

LPS are easy but diverse so many times it's not as easy as high flow/higher light for SPS, lower flow/lower light for lps, depending on what LPS you keep. I'd be more concerned about the flow/light placement for the specific lps you plan on keeping. I run an all LPS tank and have owned most everything except for cynarina, acanthos, and alveopora.

Duncans are indeed hardy but some can be fidgety to start. It takes them a while to become completely complacent. You'll hear many say they are the canary in the coal mine which has been the case in my experience. Blastos can also be fidgety. I've had some that only tolerate full shade and others that can take 75-100 par. You will have to play around with placement in the beginning to see where the best locations are.

The easiest LPS to care for imo are acans, chalices, cyphastrea, and favia.
Here’s a pic of my current tank set up. I can move the flow around the tank and I also have a power head just in case i need extra flow. I ideally want to keep a bunch of euphillia, but I want to make sure my tank is suited for lps. My lfs sells duncan’s for about $10 a head, so if it dies on me i won’t be extremely sad lol. But if you have any recommended places for flow/light for keeping euphyllia in my tank, I’m all ears. I am familiar with the medium flow/light, but I always like to hear it from people who have successfully kep euphyllia. I also use a current orbit marine light.

image.jpg

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a pic of my current tank set up. I can move the flow around the tank and I also have a power head just in case i need extra flow. I ideally want to keep a bunch of euphillia, but I want to make sure my tank is suited for lps. My lfs sells duncan’s for about $10 a head, so if it dies on me i won’t be extremely sad lol. But if you have any recommended places for flow/light for keeping euphyllia in my tank, I’m all ears. I am familiar with the medium flow/light, but I always like to hear it from people who have successfully kep euphyllia. I also use a current orbit marine light.

image.jpg

I wouldn't glue it to start. Duncan's are harder than others as I mentioned. However, once they find their right spot, they grow real quick. Tbh, the duncan would do fine in most of the lower rock positions on 75% of the right hand side of the tank. I'd glue the duncan to a rock and move it around to each one of those spots for 5 days minimum until you see where he opens up and reaches out the most.

Duncans like medium flow. They need to move a little. Duncan's can take a little bit of light so anything between 50 - 120 par is good.

Euphyllia's are also very diverse in what they prefer. Hammers tend to prefer lower-medium flow but can take some light. Frogspawns prefer slightly lower flow than hammers depending on which specie you have (wall or branching). Torches like higher flow and can also tolerate a lot more light.

OP
OP
taylorn13

taylorn13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't glue it to start. Duncan's are harder than others as I mentioned. However, once they find their right spot, they grow real quick. Tbh, the duncan would do fine in most of the lower rock positions on 75% of the right hand side of the tank. I'd glue the duncan to a rock and try out each one of those spots for 5 days minimum until you see where he opens up and reaches out the most.

Duncans like medium flow. They need to move a little. Duncan's can take a little bit of light so anything between 50 - 120 par is good.

Euphyllia's are also very diverse in what they prefer. Hammers tend to prefer lower-medium flow but can take some light. Frogspawns prefer slightly lower flow than hammers depending on which specie you have (wall or branching). Torches like higher flow and can also tolerate a lot more light.
I will definitely try that out. Thanks for all the help!!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 11.1%
Back