Temp in a nano

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a 8 gallon nano for my sons room and I'm having some issues with the temp in the tank. It's running in the low 80's all the time. My house ac is always running at 70 (it's florida, lol) but for some reason I can't get the tank temp down to the 78 degrees I want it to be. It's not like I can hook up a chiller to this baby tank. I have no problems keep temp in check with my 220 (go figure) Is anyone else having issues with temp in there nano? Am I missing something here? The heater does not even come on, so not sure if the led light is doing this. May need to raise it a bit. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

boxer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a small fan blowing over the surface of the water will help. It will also make the water evaporate faster tho.

OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considered that, thanks. the little thing evaporates more water than I thought so not really a prob filling back up. Thanks again. Anybody else..

OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where's my nano peeps at? Anyone having or had the same issue?

OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I don't even have the heater on. There is a glass top that I have taking off most of the day.

alpineroush

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heaters do fail and leak heat into aquariums sometimes. Thats why i take mine out. I would look up your pump and the amount of heat it produces. 8g is not a lot of water any heat source could heat quickly. What lights are you running.

OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There led lights that came with the tank. 6 white and some half *** blues. I stuck my hand under the light and it's giving off some heat so between the pump and the lights I'm sure it's the problem. Just not sure the best way correct it the thing is tiny... Gonna try a small fan at the surface of the water first and take the heater out completely. The tank is not that old but you never know with heaters. Here's a pic of the light.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1399320096.727568.jpg

I just bought the tank from this guy on CL so it has some algae issues as well but it's getting there.

alpineroush

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 of those on a 16 and no heat issues. Look at the pump check water temp with another thermometer.

OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok just checked with my other thermometer and getting the same results. Gonna try a fan, it's driving me crazy. I got this tank for the clean look of it and really don't want to clog it up with stuff all over it but we'll see.

OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just pulled the heater out and it hasn't been ''on'' in a couple of days but it felt awfully hot for not being on. Time will tell.

Ladysaber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I unplugged my heater on mine today. I "iced" my tank down today and set the heater to 65.. It came on when it was at 77. So, it's been unplugged and I'm going to leave it that way. Thankfully, the sea ponies don't care about the slightly higher than average temp.. They became more active once the tank temp was back down to 74.

OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I unplugged my heater on mine today. I "iced" my tank down today and set the heater to 65.. It came on when it was at 77. So, it's been unplugged and I'm going to leave it that way. Thankfully, the sea ponies don't care about the slightly higher than average temp.. They became more active once the tank temp was back down to 74.

Mine has been acting that way too. Never comes on, on the set temp. I think that's the problem. Pulled it out and we will see. Thanks

Ahora0803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having such a small body of water with the reef system could cause you trouble in the long run. I would recommend if you have the money/space upgrading to at least a 20 gallon for your nano reef. I believe you'll see more success and it'll be even easier to keep stable water parameters for fish and coral.

OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having such a small body of water with the reef system could cause you trouble in the long run. I would recommend if you have the money/space upgrading to at least a 20 gallon for your nano reef. I believe you'll see more success and it'll be even easier to keep stable water parameters for fish and coral.

This is very true and i was aware of the challenges of keeping such a small reef system. That sort of drove me to buy such a small tank. I'm relying on water changes and a good salt mix to cover my changes in water perimeters. I found that the problem is the heater itself. It was coming on even when it was turned as low as it could go. This tank will not be my first go around as I have a 220 running as well. Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

Ladysaber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Reefer said. I have a 150g, a 90g, and this 10g nano. My issue is a faulty NEW Eheim heater. It's coming on when fully calibrated and turned to the lowest heat point. Easiest thing for me to do to "chill" this tank is to use a bag of ice cubes. It's been working like a charm, but since it's an early summer, I don't have a need for the heater right now. I'm planning on returning the Eheim and getting another new one. I've always had luck with them, but I figured since it arrived along with my shattered JBJ tank, it can't hurt to exchange it. Lol

And honestly, I don't need to ice the tank down. It's just easier to do that than run a nano chiller on it. The corals and ponies are not bothered by the 77 degree temp, but they are more comfortable and more active at 75.

OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Reefer said. I have a 150g, a 90g, and this 10g nano. My issue is a faulty NEW Eheim heater. It's coming on when fully calibrated and turned to the lowest heat point. Easiest thing for me to do to "chill" this tank is to use a bag of ice cubes. It's been working like a charm, but since it's an early summer, I don't have a need for the heater right now. I'm planning on returning the Eheim and getting another new one. I've always had luck with them, but I figured since it arrived along with my shattered JBJ tank, it can't hurt to exchange it. Lol

And honestly, I don't need to ice the tank down. It's just easier to do that than run a nano chiller on it. The corals and ponies are not bothered by the 77 degree temp, but they are more comfortable and more active at 75.

I would deff return it. It's been two days with no heater and temp is stable at 78-79 degrees and I'm happy with that. All fish look happy and the one coral that's in there does as well.

Back