Territorial clownfish

puffer_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve had 2 clownfish in my tank and every fish I’ve tried to put in there they have died and I’m pretty sure they killed them maybe just the black one she’s kinda aggressive. I know they can be territorial if I put them in a breeder net for a bit and add another fish to the tank would that make them less territorial or is there another way to do it, or should I just let them be the only fish in the tank. It’s a 20 gallon Waterbox.

03E14529-C6DC-4065-9D6A-9A518FA6AB63.jpeg 8C7D18E4-4196-42B1-B1F1-0937402F0DEE.png

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Change up the rock work sometime helps bc ur resetting what they claim as their "territory" and make new addition easier.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
puffer_reef

puffer_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Change up the rock work sometime helps bc ur resetting what they claim as their "territory" and make new addition easier.
The only thing is this was my first reef tank and I kinda put way to much epoxy on the rocks so there’s no way to change the scape

Upvote 0

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah looks like your rocks has some hiding spots but not a lot. The 2 fish you tried are also have lower survival rates in your tank - the YWG needs a lot of caves on the bottom and can be very skittish to bullies. the 6line is a free swimmer that also needs a lot of caves, in a 20G although some people had success, these 2 fish really would do a lot better in a bigger tank, esp if you have two clowns roaming the tank. there's just not enough room. These probably added stress to the new additions and weakened them causing their demise.

In a 20g you have room for 1 more fish at most since the clowns are naughty. Maybe try a smaller gobie - neon, or orange dot. Or a less "free swimmer" fish like a basslet/royal gramma that doesn't require a lot of free swimming space and will just claim its little corner of the tank and can defend/stand up against the clowns.

Doesn't hurt to try the fish net too when you do decide to add more.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
puffer_reef

puffer_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah looks like your rocks has some hiding spots but not a lot. The 2 fish you tried are also have lower survival rates in your tank - the YWG needs a lot of caves on the bottom and can be very skittish to bullies. the 6line is a free swimmer that also needs a lot of caves, in a 20G although some people had success, these 2 fish really would do a lot better in a bigger tank, esp if you have two clowns roaming the tank. there's just not enough room. These probably added stress to the new additions and weakened them causing their demise.

In a 20g you have room for 1 more fish at most since the clowns are naughty. Maybe try a smaller gobie - neon, or orange dot. Or a less "free swimmer" fish like a basslet/royal gramma that doesn't require a lot of free swimming space and will just claim its little corner of the tank and can defend/stand up against the clowns.

Doesn't hurt to try the fish net too when you do decide to add more.
Okay cool thank you for the information!

Upvote 0

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back