Texas Holey Rock?

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is Texas Holey Rock reef safe? I have quite a bit from my cichlid tanks, and while I don't plan on using it exclusively, I would like to use it as a base rock. Does anyone have experience with this? Isn't Marcos Rocks basically the same thing?

20180910_113414.jpg

20180910_113423.jpg

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that the only limiting factor? Anything I should be worried about chemically?

You have to be concerned with the composition of the rock and what could leech out that is potentially harmful to your tank.

I recently asked the same question about volcanic rock. It is extremely porous and I thought it might provide lots of surface area for nitrifying bacteria. My concern was what metals might be in the rock which could cause harm to the tank and it's inhabitants.

I set up a test tank and took a chance. So far, no issues; just a normal tank cycle. My next step is to add inhabitants... something hearty, like damsels.

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont think it would harm the tank (but of course i dont know anything about its creation or what it has been exposed to) but you really want to have every bit of rock as porus as possible as we need to use it as a filter. if fresh water it would not matter as much but salt water you would kick yourself later and then have to pull it and replace later

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to be concerned with the composition of the rock and what could leech out that is potentially harmful to your tank.

I recently asked the same question about volcanic rock. It is extremely porous and I thought it might provide lots of surface area for nitrifying bacteria. My concern was what metals might be in the rock which could cause harm to the tank and it's inhabitants.

I set up a test tank and took a chance. So far, no issues; just a normal tank cycle. My next step is to add inhabitants... something hearty, like damsels.

I suppose that since I've been using the rock in my freshwater tanks that it may have already either leeched everything out, or absorbed some things from the tap water, but the tap water has been pretty clean everywhere I've been. I plan on using the MarinePure blocks to assist in the bio-filtration, and I have a lot of dry rock already, so this would just be filler rock helping to support the aquascape itself, and not depended upon for any other function.

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, sounds good as i dont think it would be a problem
i would plan on getting an RO/DI unit or some way to get that quality water as you will not want to use tap water on a salt tank. Dont get me wrong, you can but sooner than later you will try and find out why your water parameters wont stay stable and the tap water would be at least one of the problems.

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, sounds good as i dont think it would be a problem
i would plan on getting an RO/DI unit or some way to get that quality water as you will not want to use tap water on a salt tank. Dont get me wrong, you can but sooner than later you will try and find out why your water parameters wont stay stable and the tap water would be at least one of the problems.

I'm looking at a 4-stage water saver right now. I will not be using tap water on this build.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caribsea Texas Holey Rock
This rock is sourced from Texas and is an ideal rock for African Cichlid aquariums. The rock has various holes for hiding and can be used to create big rockscapes in the aquaria.

Features:

• Reef-Safe Aragonitic calcium carbonate „
  • Highly porous
  • Lots of holes make this rock ideal for hiding
  • „Helps support pH
  • Super clean - no unwanted pests!
  • Smoother structure over traditional base rock
  • Great for marine, reef and African Cichlid aquariums

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This rock is sourced from Texas and is an ideal rock for African Cichlid aquariums. The rock has various holes for hiding and can be used to create big rockscapes in the aquaria.

Features:

• Highly porous
  • „Helps support pH

Yay!

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Features:

• Highly porous
  • „Helps support pH

Where did you source this information?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call Jake at River City Aquatics in Austin. He has a very large display tank with some very nice pieces of this. Ask him or his staff if they have any issues.

Timfish1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much THR are you using in those tanks?

Roughly 1/3 maricultured live rock and 2/3 local texas honeycomb rock. Total amount of rock is roughly 2/3 lb per gallon. Some rock is drilled and PVC pipe is used to assemble some of the structures.

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Features:

• Highly porous
  • „Helps support pH
I would agree with all this except the highly porous line, unless they mean the giant holes that go through the rocks are the porous part. This rock is dense eroded limestone.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had never heard of the stuff. I find it interesting that this is the only post I could find using the brand name Caribsea with Texas Holey rock. I was more interested in geological information on the rock but the internet is useless for finding real information anymore.
It has gone from having the best set of encyclopedias in the world at your disposal to having a complete comic book and **** collection.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back