Thank You reef2reef

ReefPit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept aquariums for twenty years. Started with goldfish and it all evolved from there. Like most here, it was never just pouring water into a bucket. We intuitively, or eventually, just learned it is more than that and our passion for this chemistry just kept us entrenched.

Fifteen years ago I purchases a book, yes, an actually hard copy real book on salt water aquariums (read little of it, not sure where it is now). I knew even then that one day I would end up here (reefing), and now here I am.

It all started two years ago with a green spotted puffer, Mr. Number 6. His name reflects the number of green spotted puffers that it took me until I finally figured out the necessary deworming process, which ended up being a combination of two different drugs.

Number 6 lived and I then began the process of moving from brackish to marine.

From there most of you know the story. Lights, scrubbers, variations of mechanical filtration, UV and time matches on…..

It’s a small 40 gallon breeder, but its location is perfect! Right in the mix of my home. It is visible from the kitchen, family room, and couches all around it. It gets a bit more natural light than I would like, and consequentially three of the aquariums sides are blacked out.

So yes, good old algae.

Across from this tank, on the floor, is a 75 gallon tank with two turtles and a Pleco, who likely needs to be rehomed (started at 3”, now over a foot:-(. No algae in this tank, Alfred, named after Batman’s butler by my kids, and Alfred keeps this tank algae free.

In my blossoming reef tank Number 6 did not allow for a clean up crew. I test parameters weekly (use excel to record and monitor depletion/additions, etc.) and have been using RODi since the beginning (filters changed methodically). The aquarium location does not help, it’s a sun room extended from our kitchen. I have shades on the seven windows and this helps, but they stay open for at least 8 plus hours as I maintain plants, so maybe this helps with PH!

As my vision progresses, now my grow lights are suspended some 12” above the aquarium, I’m metering kalkwasser controlled by a dosing pump connected to a PH meter and also adding a couple capfuls of Seachem Reef Complete weekly to keep calcium up along with adding some magnesium with a higher chloride ratio to my weekly 5% water changes.

Six weeks ago I brought Number 6 back to the LFS. I loved him and the decision was difficult, but he ultimately would not fit where I am heading.

So now I have a 4O gallon mixed reef, with a functioning cleanup crew!

No sump as I currently want to exhaust all HOB options. LOL, which is beginning to look a bit congested to say the least, but I prefer not to invest in a siphon overflow until I have decide on my next step.

My current decision is to remove all tanks and go to 170+(To go bigger, I need to consolidate to make this work), but I don’t want to put it in my finished basement. So I’m reviewing first floor options….. need to support some ~3,500 lbs located perpendicular to floor joist, but there is only one place and I need to structurally vet this.

I have made many mistakes, will make more. I have learned that in this hobby, patient and consist benefits progress.

The PAR meter is still out on rental at my LFS, until then, I keep light percentages conservative and try to place corals in their right elevations. Low, mid, high, etc.

To all those at reef2reef, I apreciate all of your investments and sharing. Much love for how much you have all shared.

To the outer reef and beyond brothers.

Ps

When I finally decide where I am going, I will begin the build thread.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back