That Random Nano!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I struggled with high alkalinity and low pH in the eel tank. My solution was switching salts as I was using IA all for reef which has really high alkalinity.

I’m guessing your pH isn’t that low as pH meters are always losing calibration or breaking. My job spends many many thousands on top range water quality meters and despite that the pH is always broken.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some cowrie spam now he’s in the tank :)
03A0D133-9966-4AC4-B3D6-1969141F917C.jpeg

923B7D10-6F06-4A16-8018-94810A0D6A9D.jpeg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning before lights on :)
E6B6CB13-7127-40E8-884A-FF41AC12427D.jpeg

I love having inverts like this guy as they’re so unusual and when you look in the tank you just see the most alien like creatures haha.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And here’s another late night FTS :)
I have just sat and removed the two stickers that were beneath the ocean project one, the only big reason I kept the ocean project one is because I like the look of it.
C21CC9F4-DE61-44FB-BF5C-07EFFE5446F4.jpeg

Im thinking of bumping the fish number to get a bit more activity in the day, what unusual fish do you guys like?

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already gave you a couple so my only other thought is a waspfish but I don’t know if they’ll eat your current stock and they won’t add much action.
I never thought this would be hard to figure out haha, there’s both so few but also so many fish out there

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, after thinking for a bit I’ve had a thought of maybe trying out a pipefish in this tank. I know Dragonface Pipes can tolerate much higher flow like what you get in SPS reefs but the downside is their max size of 8 inches. What do you guys think I should do in terms of pipefish?

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sean Clark and I were speaking briefly about the looks of the fish we eat and I said the uglier the better cuz salmon and tilapia aren’t pretty but tasty…..not sure I can say the same for these three….though I wonder…..

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, after thinking for a bit I’ve had a thought of maybe trying out a pipefish in this tank. I know Dragonface Pipes can tolerate much higher flow like what you get in SPS reefs but the downside is their max size of 8 inches. What do you guys think I should do in terms of pipefish?
I like the idea of you getting a pipefish. @sdreef I think had one, and of course, it’s a big tank with high flow areas and large fish. Don’t know much about them though

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS has a couple in their big display. Seem to do well and I imagine flows pretty high.

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of you getting a pipefish. @sdreef I think had one, and of course, it’s a big tank with high flow areas and large fish. Don’t know much about them though

In addition to dragon face, I've had both blue stripe pipefish and currently have a Janss' pipefish. The blue stripes are smaller and more readily available. Both species have handled the flow well and both have readily accepted frozen food. The Janns was captive bred and quite small initially. I grew him out in the refugium for several months prior to adding him to the main display. He frequents the overhangs of the rock work. As he's increased in size, he swims out openly with more frequency. Approximately 12 cm.

1676430960897.png

Here's an old picture with the bluestripe
1676432221246.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to dragon face, I've had both blue stripe pipefish and currently have a Janss' pipefish. The blue stripes are smaller and more readily available. Both species have handled the flow well and both have readily accepted frozen food. The Janns was captive bred and quite small initially. I grew him out in the refugium for several months prior to adding him to the main display. He frequents the overhangs of the rock work. As he's increased in size, he swims out openly with more frequency. Approximately 12 cm.

1676430960897.png

Here's an old picture with the bluestripe
1676432221246.png
The Janss and Blue Stripes were both pipes I was considering if they will work well (I am lucky enough to be able to supply pods weekly into my tank most of the time although winter can be hard to get them from LFSs).
What are your thoughts and which one would be best do you think?

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And a quick cowrie update!
He’s plowed through that sponge which I’m glad about as the sponge was just collecting cyano anyway.
71F89AB2-FB88-4EB8-8F15-6F4AA8E12F3E.jpeg

And also a frag update!
The two Acro’s seem to be starting to encrust over their plugs and should be ready in a few weeks to try in my larger tank. The Seriatopora caliendrum frag is also doing rather well but the Seriatopora stellata frag isn’t doing too greatly (As expected - the large frag I have isn’t doing well either).
image.jpg

image.jpg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my large frags are doing well and growing rather well!
Here’s just a few of my most notes ble ones that are showing improvements :)
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

And remember that Tenuis I started back from one polyp… Here she is today! 2 large polyps and a third is on the way :D
image.jpg

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Janss and Blue Stripes were both pipes I was considering if they will work well (I am lucky enough to be able to supply pods weekly into my tank most of the time although winter can be hard to get them from LFSs).
What are your thoughts and which one would be best do you think?

Personal preference and availability. Their care requirements are very similar. The blue stripes are smaller, but surprisingly strong swimmers. Both pipefish ate pods to a significant degree until they had grown sufficiently to consume larger food so supplementing with pods will help.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back