The Angel Lovers Thread

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nothing special. Good food and water quality. I feed sponge, nori, and various frozen foods. As I understand it regals need sponge and algae or else they get constipated. It has taken a few months for the scarring to fade.

I believe it was a biota and it was eating well when I got it but I have no idea how it got the HLLE. My LFS contacted me when someone brought it in and it was otherwise healthy.
Great job. Beautiful fish.

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when I first got this regal it had pretty bad HLLE scars but look at it now!
Then:
IMG_2774.jpeg

Now:
IMG_3620.jpeg
IMG_3624.jpeg
Whoa! What a picture! Is this cleaner wrasse and Regal both from Biota? I'd love to share this picture on our social media with a photo credit to you. - Felicia

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing special. Good food and water quality. I feed sponge, nori, and various frozen foods. As I understand it regals need sponge and algae or else they get constipated. It has taken a few months for the scarring to fade.

I believe it was a biota and it was eating well when I got it but I have no idea how it got the HLLE. My LFS contacted me when someone brought it in and it was otherwise healthy.
Are you offering sponges as such, or sponge based foods? It's for this reason that 20 years ago they were considered impossible to maintain, luckily the hobby has come a long way.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you offering sponges as such, or sponge based foods? It's for this reason that 20 years ago they were considered impossible to maintain, luckily the hobby has come a long way.
Both. I happened to have sponge in that tank before hand and though that’s long been eaten I get it on rocks in my sumps which I can add in. But also feed a lot of the SFB angel and butterfly food.
Whoa! What a picture! Is this cleaner wrasse and Regal both from Biota? I'd love to share this picture on our social media with a photo credit to you. - Felicia
They are, though I got the Regal from another hobbyist who bought it from you. As with all your fish and corals they took to my tanks immediately and you can always use my photos!

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both. I happened to have sponge in that tank before hand and though that’s long been eaten I get it on rocks in my sumps which I can add in. But also feed a lot of the SFB angel and butterfly food.
That is a great feeding job, would you mind posting a photo of the food you offer to your regal angel when you can?? Thanks in advance.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a great feeding job, would you mind posting a photo of the food you offer to your regal angel when you can?? Thanks in advance.
It’s not anything special. I just got the hikari angelfish food and I don’t like it. It just falls apart leaving only the worms for my fish to eat. SFB Angel and Butterfly works a lot better for me. I’m sure there are better brands but hikari and SFB are available and relatively cheap. Then I feed two sizes of mysis every other meal and the occasional Marine Cuisine. Next they get two sheets of nori a day. I have a big foxface that eats a ton of it so I need to give two.

Finally if I have more natural food I give it that. Sponges are my favorites but caulerpa, and even corals that are overgrowing. Just trying to give a good variety.

IMG_7232.jpeg

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not anything special. I just got the hikari angelfish food and I don’t like it. It just falls apart leaving only the worms for my fish to eat. SFB Angel and Butterfly works a lot better for me. I’m sure there are better brands but hikari and SFB are available and relatively cheap. Then I feed two sizes of mysis every other meal and the occasional Marine Cuisine. Next they get two sheets of nori a day. I have a big foxface that eats a ton of it so I need to give two.

Finally if I have more natural food I give it that. Sponges are my favorites but caulerpa, and even corals that are overgrowing. Just trying to give a good variety.

IMG_7232.jpeg
Thanks, I wasn't sure what "SFB" meant but thanks to the photo I remembered that food, pretty good vdd but I have struggled to get it again, good selection of food, are you using any dry food?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I wasn't sure what "SFB" meant but thanks to the photo I remembered that food, pretty good vdd but I have struggled to get it again, good selection of food, are you using any dry food?
Occasionally pellets or flakes but I prefer frozen. ONs formula one flakes and pellets. One reason I don't is foxfaces go bananas for pellets for me and its hard to feed the other fish.
I also prefer more small feedings to a few large when I can. I know not everyone can though.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A trusted guy recently offered me this adorable little multibarred angel, it's a shame I had to pass up the opportunity as I have an Eibli angel with internal parasites which I'm treating in my hospital tank, I also have my main tank in autopilot as some improvements are needed. It would be irresponsible of me to buy it right now but I have to admit it was a bummer having to let it go.
Screenshot_20230705_113827~2.jpg

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never truly appreciated this species until I got one of my own.
0D1C5ACE-5A5E-4F92-BD3F-F49BA0BFAA72.jpeg
B23D16ED-351B-43F4-9BAE-708CF0D6E336.jpeg
9ADB5E04-66F1-4562-80C7-8DE269C829A9.jpeg
Yours is beautiful!!
I honestly was shocked they did not win that recent poll. To me they are unquestionably the prettiest angel and one of the prettiest fish.

Last edited:

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never truly appreciated this species until I got one of my own.
0D1C5ACE-5A5E-4F92-BD3F-F49BA0BFAA72.jpeg
B23D16ED-351B-43F4-9BAE-708CF0D6E336.jpeg
9ADB5E04-66F1-4562-80C7-8DE269C829A9.jpeg
I'm convinced that they lose touch when they are in FOWLR tanks, although they are still one of the most beautiful fish of course. However in a reef tank they are brilliant and spectacular fishes.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone had success at all with bicolor?

FOWLR not reef btw
Bicolor angelfish may refuse to taste some foods in the beginning but most of the time there is not much problem feeding them, only when they get to a new tank and lose their shyness, in fact most dwarf angelfish become hardy once they acclimate and get used to the foods offered, even the hardest to keep, though they get a long way to go before they get there.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 25 16.3%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 63 41.2%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 14.4%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 35 22.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.2%
Back