The Angel Lovers Thread

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indo Pacific Regal with grey/blue chest while the Red Sea and Indian Ocean have yellow chest. I never able to see the different between the Red Sea vs Indian Ocean variety
The Bali Regal Angels are CB regal angel of the blue/grey chest variety.
also the yellow chest variety have more yellow, wider yellow bands on body give it a lighter look when comparing to the Blue Chest variety. Both are stunning in coloration IMO
My Blue chest here are mid bared but you can see the thicker yellow bands on the yellow chest Regal
B1265FA4-0F46-4BD2-AE7A-F62E85ED97EA.jpeg
AD575A7F-531E-477B-8C0D-3BE863127FFC.jpeg
So long and I have never noticed that difference, if you pay attention the lines even seem to be quite different, both varieties are magnificent, I just passed up the opportunity to have a regal angelfish with blue chest because I have some problems with the water chemistry in my QT tanks, plus the fish was at least 5", more likely to fail when trying to feed it, I just hope it landed in good hands, I'll get my chance when the time is right.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a color difference…
I thought they meant captive bred regals and I didn’t know blue face regals were CB now.
I don’t know if this has been proven wrong or right, however there was a thought in the past that the Blue bellied regal angelfish ate more sponges than the yellow bellied regal Angel (Pygoplites diacanthus flavissimus) making it harder to keep than P. diacanthus flavissimus.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had opportunity to keep both variety as very young fish, less than 1 inch at the same time in my tank and watch them developed. As as young fish, less than 1 inch, the Yellow chest and Blue chest looks the same. They base color of the fish is yellow, as they developed, the white/Blue-black bars developed. In the Yellow chest, these line stop developed earlier result in a more yellow fish. In the Indo Pacific region, the darker coloration continue to developed longer result in wider white/blue bars and more darker coloration on the face and chest.
One can say that the color development of the Indian Ocean and Red Sea variety were arrested while the coloration developement of the Indo Pacific variety continue longer result in more white, and blue-black. Wider white bands with thicker blue-black borders around it.
RegalAngel20160050801.jpg

Last edited:

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a chance to witness a 6" red sea regal. What a beautiful fish. The yellow and the blue are more "in your face" than that of a Indo version.
I just picked up a Indo regal around 3". Colors are quite bland to that of a red sea.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a chance to witness a 6" red sea regal. What a beautiful fish. The yellow and the blue are more "in your face" than that of a Indo version.
I just picked up a Indo regal around 3". Colors are quite bland to that of a red sea.
It is very possible that one is 6 inches and the other is 3 inches.

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very possible that one is 6 inches and the other is 3 inches.
you mean the color difference is because of the size of the fish?

I thought about that, but I have seen large indo regals at pet stores before and they can't compare.. The yellow I saw on that red sea regal was a darker and intense. I would say the yellow is more similar to that of a semilarvartus butterfly vs yellow of a yellow tang.

Lets just say if my regal ever makes it out of quarantine, i am trading it in for a red sea version.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I recommend just waiting till he grows more. They do gain some beautiful colours as adults AND if you can get the Blue/Grey belly to thrive that would be great due to them being more of a sponge eater in the wild (I did search it up and go into it earlier) and how in captivity wild caught specimens tend to go down hill quickly.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m only on page 86 of this thread but have a question for you angel keepers in the meantime.

I very much want a regal angel. It’ll live it’s first few years in a 120 before I upgrade to a 240+. I’m planning on having a mixed reef (some lps, softies, sps) and have smaller tanks (53g and 40b) which I’m planning on using for corals that my regal decides to munch.

i have been told I should go for a Red Sea regal as they seem to be the most coral safe. Is this true? Or is there equal risk from all the different locals?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m only on page 86 of this thread but have a question for you angel keepers in the meantime.

I very much want a regal angel. It’ll live it’s first few years in a 120 before I upgrade to a 240+. I’m planning on having a mixed reef (some lps, softies, sps) and have smaller tanks (53g and 40b) which I’m planning on using for corals that my regal decides to munch.

i have been told I should go for a Red Sea regal as they seem to be the most coral safe. Is this true? Or is there equal risk from all the different locals?
So, the reason why the Red Sea Regal is most likely better with coral is due to the thought of Grey Belly Regals needing more along odds and tunicates in its diet compared to the Red Sea. I find this to be false but there is bound to be some truth in there somewhere. I think that truth is the Spongodes and Tunicates, both angels need them in their diets or something similar due to that being their wild diet.

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, the reason why the Red Sea Regal is most likely better with coral is due to the thought of Grey Belly Regals needing more along odds and tunicates in its diet compared to the Red Sea. I find this to be false but there is bound to be some truth in there somewhere. I think that truth is the Spongodes and Tunicates, both angels need them in their diets or something similar due to that being their wild diet.

gotcha. I’m planning on keeping sponge in my sump and or in a different tank to supplement its diet. Guess I’ll keep holding out for a Red Sea.

oh, and how does the yellow belly Indian Ocean variety stack up to the Red Sea vs Indonesian?

thanks for the help!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gotcha. I’m planning on keeping sponge in my sump and or in a different tank to supplement its diet. Guess I’ll keep holding out for a Red Sea.

oh, and how does the yellow belly Indian Ocean variety stack up to the Red Sea vs Indonesian?

thanks for the help!
In all honesty, I don’t think the different regions that Pygopylites diacanthus is found in actually makes a difference in care or diet.

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all honesty, I don’t think the different regions that Pygopylites diacanthus is found in actually makes a difference in care or diet.

I’m happy to hear that. My wallet probably isn’t…oh well.

i really want to get a little one sooner than later. Seems like having it be one of the first fish in the 120 might be a good idea

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I keep multiple Regal Angels of both species (or varieties) and find that there is no different in term of diet. As with any living animals, the diet ingrained in an individual as a youth. Get small ones, less than 1 inch and they are very delicate, but about 1-2 inches it would be difficult to train them to eat captive food. I find that Regal at 1-2 inches are most likely to adapt well in captivity. I find that my Regal angels gorge themselves on flakes food (Omega One) and pellets (Otohime C1 and C2) They prefer these much more than frozen mysis. They love fresh oyster, frozen oyster and frozen clams. They lave Nori. I think these fish, if came to captivity as a young fish are as omnivore as you can get.

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep multiple Regal Angels of both species (or varieties) and find that there is no different in term of diet. As with any living animals, the diet ingrained in an individual as a youth. Get small ones, less than 1 inch and they are very delicate, but about 1-2 inches it would be difficult to train them to eat captive food. I find that Regal at 1-2 inches are most likely to adapt well in captivity. I find that my Regal angels gorge themselves on flakes food (Omega One) and pellets (Otohime C1 and C2) They prefer these much more than frozen mysis. They love fresh oyster, frozen oyster and frozen clams. They lave Nori. I think these fish, if came to captivity as a young fish are as omnivore as you can get.

awesome. Thanks for weighing in! I want to try and get one that’s around 2 or 3 inches. I think I’m going to just shell out extra for a specimen from reef pro and r TSM once they are back up and running. That way the fish will be eating something when I get it.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of things to mention beyond what Orion explained very well, it seems to me that if you are going to get really small angels then you should know that these fish have quite a fast metabolism, so you should be aware of their feeding several times a day, plus it's very good to feed the newly acquired fish regularly during the day. If you are going to add sponges to your tank as a diet for the regals they will likely not accept all of these invertebrates, so if I were you I would offer LRS feeds in addition to mysis and quality dry feeds, there are some feeds that supposedly contain sponges, never I have tried none but I hope they really work and be of benefit to fish like these.

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of things to mention beyond what Orion explained very well, it seems to me that if you are going to get really small angels then you should know that these fish have quite a fast metabolism, so you should be aware of their feeding several times a day, plus it's very good to feed the newly acquired fish regularly during the day. If you are going to add sponges to your tank as a diet for the regals they will likely not accept all of these invertebrates, so if I were you I would offer LRS feeds in addition to mysis and quality dry feeds, there are some feeds that supposedly contain sponges, never I have tried none but I hope they really work and be of benefit to fish like these.

awesome and duly noted. I’m planning on stocking up on frozen foods as well.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some nice photos of my Angel, although it isn’t what we’ve been talking about. Anyone else own a Genicanthus angelfish? If so what species?
Here’s my Melanospilos
45772A80-B427-4257-B518-87FE42252414.jpeg

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some nice photos of my Angel, although it isn’t what we’ve been talking about. Anyone else own a Genicanthus angelfish? If so what species?
Here’s my Melanospilos
45772A80-B427-4257-B518-87FE42252414.jpeg
Havent gotten my females yet (planning on 3 to 4). But here's my male genicanthus bellus

Attachments

• 20211029_125935.mp4
    29.6 MB

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you mean the color difference is because of the size of the fish?

I thought about that, but I have seen large indo regals at pet stores before and they can't compare.. The yellow I saw on that red sea regal was a darker and intense. I would say the yellow is more similar to that of a semilarvartus butterfly vs yellow of a yellow tang.

Lets just say if my regal ever makes it out of quarantine, i am trading it in for a red sea version.
On my posts #2659 and #2663, there are pictures of the two varieties. Both of the angels are under optimal heath and are about the same size. You really cannot judge a fish until they are healthy can comfortable. I’d you are to compare two fish, you got to be fair and comepair them at similar stage of development

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had opportunity to keep both variety as very young fish, less than 1 inch at the same time in my tank and watch them developed. As as young fish, less than 1 inch, the Yellow chest and Blue chest looks the same. They base color of the fish is yellow, as they developed, the white/Blue-black bars developed. In the Yellow chest, these line stop developed earlier result in a more yellow fish. In the Indo Pacific region, the darker coloration continue to developed longer result in wider white/blue bars and more darker coloration on the face and chest.
One can say that the color development of the Indian Ocean and Red Sea variety were arrested while the coloration developement of the Indo Pacific variety continue longer result in more white, and blue-black. Wider white bands with thicker blue-black borders around it.
RegalAngel20160050801.jpg
They’re beautiful!! Is there any difference in the coral they nip at or not really?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back