The ban hammer on Copper medication in Canada

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. Copper is the latest on the ban bandwagon. Ugh. Not just for fish stores. Everywhere. Government seems to think the general public can not be trusted to use chemicals responsibly. Just like certain human medications not being available over the counter. Or needing a vet to write a prescription for most meds for your dog. I had to place an order for meds from the US. Has $225 in my cart. + shipping + tax + exchange rate + $68 duty at the border. dang order cost me almost $400!!! Now copper? Give me a break!

Worst of all they could all be technically seized at the border. So you could spend that $400 and never receive a package.

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worst of all they could all be technically seized at the border. So you could spend that $400 and never receive a package.

Did not know that. Would not have ordered if I did. Could perhaps make a trip to the US and play stupid at the border if it hit the fan. Mental note: delete this post before you go hahaha

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did not know that. Would not have ordered if I did. Could perhaps make a trip to the US and play stupid at the border if it hit the fan. Mental note: delete this post before you go hahaha

It would really depend on the language used in the ban as to whether or not its seize-able. Of which I do not know but typically if it's banned from sale it can be seized at the border if a customs official is feeling particularly bad that day lol

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would really depend on the language used in the ban as to whether or not its seize-able. Of which I do not know but typically if it's banned from sale it can be seized at the border if a customs official is feeling particularly bad that day lol

I think it would probably be ok because it’s not actually “banned”. Just “restricted”. Kinda leaves some room for interpretation.

Cnidoblast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems super random - Copper sulfate is still sold in many places as a root remover however - How difficult is it to get a dr to write for chloroquine there?

Entz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it is ridiculous, I stocked up a bit last month when it was first mentioned. Thankfully I rarely need it but not being able to get it if I needed it (or the bottle falls over and leaks etc) is terrible.

bigcheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will gladly send any of our Canadian brethren a sack of US copper pennies in exchange for any beer from Unibroue.
Ounce for ounce... er, gram for mL.

Maudite, Trois Pistoles, all of it's good.
Better yet, send me a bottle of Don de Dieu, I'll send the bottle back full of copper power.

I swear, it's a really good deal. Let's do this!

Edit: Except the fruity ones. Déguelass.

Last edited:

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will gladly send any of our Canadian brethren a sack of US copper pennies in exchange for any beer from Unibroue.
Ounce for ounce... er, gram for mL.

Maudite, Trois Pistoles, all of it's good.
Better yet, send me a bottle of Don de Dieu, I'll send the bottle back full of copper power.

I swear, it's a really good deal. Let's do this!

Edit: Except the fruity ones. Déguelass.

Sold!!

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems super random - Copper sulfate is still sold in many places as a root remover however - How difficult is it to get a dr to write for chloroquine there?
For personal? That's something I draw the line at, don't want to fraud the system like that. In terms of a vet? I haven't found any, in over sixty, yes, six-zero, in the Vancouver area, that will agree to write a script. Outside of the area there is one; and they required a $200-300 initial site visit plus $40-80 for the script per occurrence depending if it was something new or not. In short, it would probably cost me about $400 minimum for something as simple as a chloroquine phosphate script, or pretty much anything else now.

I'll add, the only vet willing is an exotic pet vet running a private business that is not typically public reachable. I had to basically beg a local member of a reef forum, whom works in a vet clinic, to get industry contacts that might be able to help. Even then, those were the results. The guy works with private aquariums, collectors, etc that run with tens or hundreds of thousands in livestock and don't bat an eye at the price, mostly freshwater arowana. The average hobbyist though, we are just out of luck.

Last edited:

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The U S stopped making pennies out of copper in 1982 so you'll have to find som old pennies.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back