The ban hammer on Copper medication in Canada

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What exactly is the problem with copper? Is it used to make bombs or something?
I have a feeling this was an unintended consequence of the way the restrictions were written. The ban was for all fish medications, so copper products designed and advertised to be used to treat fish were caught up along with the antimicrobials. I believe you can still get pure copper sulfate. Of course, there are concerns about it building up in lakes and ponds as people use it to treat algae, so who knows how much longer it will be available (assuming it still is).

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might as well pack up and sell the tank setup at this point [emoji28]

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many copper pennies per gallon required to treat parasites ???
LOL, I was thinking the same thing.We'll have to get a hold of Randy Holmes Farley,to answer this question. Pre 1982 pennies of course.

Last edited:

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course, there are concerns about it building up in lakes and ponds as people use it to treat algae, so who knows how much longer it will be available (assuming it still is).
Not sure the reason for the recent ban, true copper Anti-fowling boat paints were banned in the 90's. Only Large commercial vessels pulling permits and a ton of red tape can use it . Marinas and canals were impacted by high levels of copper and are considered toxic areas

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, guys (and gals). If Cupramine is what I think it is (not sure about this yet), it would be very easy to use kitchen chemistry to synthesize it. Can't say about Canada, but kitchen chemistry in the US is not illegal so long as you're not making something nasty like drugs or poisons, and as long as the raw material isn't restricted. In this case, one could go from copper from any source to copper sulfate with battery acid (sulfuric acid), then complex the copper sulfate with ammonium hydroxide to form tetraamine copper II.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just another reason being a Canadian in this hobby is the absolute worst.
Macna (members) have really dropped the ball. Instead of trying to one up each other they should be trying to preserve, promote and advance the hobby. Canada is a prime example of the disconnect.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, guys (and gals). If Cupramine is what I think it is (not sure about this yet), it would be very easy to use kitchen chemistry to synthesize it. Can't say about Canada, but kitchen chemistry in the US is not illegal so long as you're not making something nasty like drugs or poisons, and as long as the raw material isn't restricted. In this case, one could go from copper from any source to copper sulfate with battery acid (sulfuric acid), then complex the copper sulfate with ammonium hydroxide to form tetraamine copper II.
30j8ow.jpg
;)
Please dont take offence, Not everyone has the skill set to cook up Meds is my point.

Last edited:

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarisol used colloidal silver in the past to a much better effect until they changed to copper based formula. Wonder if that might be a solution for some of your disease control options? I think colloidal silver acts like an antimicrobial or some thing like that. The owner of Aquarium Products told me about the change back in the 1980's. I stopped stocking it after the change as the customers recognized an immediate reduction in efficacy and stopped buying it.

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Macna (members) have really dropped the ball. Instead of trying to one up each other they should be trying to preserve, promote and advance the hobby. Canada is a prime example of the disconnect.
That's because theres like 4 vendors in Canada

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's because theres like 4 vendors in Canada
Is it a demand thing (low) or importing issues?

EDIT: is a BRS-Canada Missing?

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a demand thing (low) or importing issues?

EDIT: is a BRS-Canada Missing?

doesn't Canada have like, 10,000 people in total or something? our airforce is just one guy with a homebuilt, navy is a couple of dinghys and army is my next door neighbour redneck with a 10 round magazine .22?

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a heck of a time just sourcing furan-2 and Metro with Focus... all the prices are jacked up too.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back