The BIGGEST challenges to keeping a coral reef in your house!

Does your reef tank challenge you in certain ways?

• None

Votes: 18 1.7%
  • Somewhat

Votes: 337 32.7%
  • Regularly

Votes: 427 41.4%
  • All The Time

Votes: 249 24.2%

• Total voters

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only real challenge for me is money. There is not much I can do at my age to earn the cash I need to chase what I really want with my tanks. The rest is taken care of. I have space, time, energy, motivation and this endless resource of r2r. Just none of them green paper things.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biggest challenge? My addiction to R2R. ;Sorry

If I spent half as much time on my tank each night as I do on R2R I wouldn't have a single coral survive due to all the tinkering. It's just so hard to stay away from R2R with all the constantly updated FTS's being posted by @revhtree and @mdbannister ! :p

Blackice615

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Money and temptation to tinker with the tank. The amount of time I invest into this hobby, the tank, and research, I could have a small business.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Money and temptation to tinker with the tank. The amount of time I invest into this hobby, the tank, and research, I could have a small business.
Open a sole prop and write off aquarium expenses as business expenses, sell a few frags a year. Boom.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it is falling behind on regular maintenance. Technology helps, but does not fully replace, proper husbandry.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, it's time. I consider myself a pretty organized guy. I work long hours through the week, so I plan my tank maintenance on the weekends. All too often, someone in my large extended family needs something, or some household emergency arises and I wind up doing my weekend maintenance after work when I'm exhausted and just want a beer and to enjoy my tanks. Doing that tonight.

Greg Gdowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest challenge is finding space in my tank for new corals. I want to try new things all the time.
I really wish I had gone bigger. My spouse is pretty good about my "addiction".

My biggest frustration is the "named coral" next generation of coral supply companies. I also feel that many suppliers over frag many corals. The challenge is not succumbing to this frenzy.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Space. We downsized to a house half the size of the old one this year, but I kept both tanks. The sump is in the stand underneath and the older my knees get, the harder time I have.

Happily, our basement reno begins in Feb - and it includes a tank upgrade and lots of work/sump space for me :)

Specs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in a smaller home without a basement or much storage. This is my biggest challenge, keeping a healthy reef while making it blend in with the rest of the house and keep everything tidy.
Someday I’ll have a fish room and this won’t be a concern!
Right there with you. Can’t wait for the day we move to a big house and can have a fish room. But that’s a few years down the road still.

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
upload_2019-1-22_19-52-24.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back