Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting
different results. IMG_1811.jpeg

I bought several Anthias from Live Aquaria thinking they wouldn’t come in thin, diseased and emaciated ….

Anyway, this looks bacterial, if anyone has a clue, please advise FAST as I have 3 left …..
they are in competent quarantine
IMG_1816.jpeg

here are the meds I have now, will any of these work for the time being? I also have copper power somewhere…

IMG_1815.jpeg

Hate to use the “Emergency” or summons but any quick help appreciated
ADDED: funny but “not so funny” is that fish actually jumped shortly after shooting…surprised me lol ( look at the belly, I thought it was dead)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is hard to see what illness it could be out of water. Is the red area on the abdomen still there - which looks a bit like uronema to me. Any more information or pictures? PS - how do the rest of the fish look (i.e. any that you ordered at the same time. Do you have any meds in your tank now>?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I guess if there are no other lesions I would consider general cure, or a formalin based product. Lets see if the others weigh in...

OP
OP
Doctorgori

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is hard to see what illness it could be out of water. Is the red area on the abdomen still there - which looks a bit like uronema to me. Any more information or pictures? PS - how do the rest of the fish look (i.e. any that you ordered at the same time. Do you have any meds in your tank now>?
The three surviving anthias are the largest most robust…here is a not so clear picture
IMG_1808.jpeg

I didn’t medicate as they looked so jacked up… naturally the heater got unplugged so the 55F either saved them or stressed them, dunno …all were alive and swimming once the temp returned
Got them this past Friday, of course they aren’t eating

OP
OP
Doctorgori

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess if there are no other lesions I would consider general cure, or a formalin based product. Lets see if the others weigh in...
I’ve seen something similar in few fish but I dunno …I thought uronema was a larger red lesion on the abdomen…this one and the other DOA’s have sorta red streaks ….
you thinking gram negative?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve seen something similar in few fish but I dunno …I thought uronema was a larger red lesion on the abdomen…this one and the other DOA’s have sorta red streaks ….
you thinking gram negative?
Yes if thats the case - I mean - like I said - it's difficult to see the other living fish. However, a temp down to 55 could have influenced the start of a bacterial infection - especially if the affected fish were in the same bag. You could try kanamycin in hospital tank. BTW - uronema can be 'nothing' when it's internal - but as it spreads externally, you see the red stripe. I thought I see/saw something similar in the picture you showed - but like I said - hard to tell after death

OP
OP
Doctorgori

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MnFish1 appreciate the fast reply …I do see red streaks also the belly’s are sunk in …
Is it feasible to do both the general cure and the antibiotic?

I’m venting but why they ship these thin fish escapes me…

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I would not buy anthias that have gone through any of the "big box" wholesalers. They just are not handled well enough IMO. I get my anthias from conceirge type importers, or from East Africa, where they handle the fish better. Starved fish, those with Uronema, all combine to make them difficult to manage.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back