The DSR Method (Dutch Synthetic Reefing)

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Glenn. One other question, any issues with snail mortality from ingesting Iron Phosphate? Another poster in a different thread had brought up the possibility and when I looked into it, snails are very sensitive to iron phosphate (if they ingest some). I am just wondering if we are talking about different orders of magnitude? Have you noticed any issues with snails?

Dennis
Snails are doing just fine when you follow my guidelines and don't overdose.
As with everthing you apply without following guidelines and overdose, it can be harmfull for lifestock.

The powerfilter is a great tool for removal of percipitation and dirt.

Always cover the basics and cleanup you system before start dosings.
www.DSRreefing.com/nutrients

Sorry for the link ..
I build my website because typing the same article over and over again is very inefficient for me.

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi glen.
At your website you recommend -
2 to 3cm sandbed (0,5-1mm grain)

limited use of live rock.

What is the purpose of this sandbed
&
Why limited live rock ?

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi glen.
At your website you recommend -
2 to 3cm sandbed (0,5-1mm grain)

limited use of live rock.

What is the purpose of this sandbed
&
Why limited live rock ?
Sandbed is biomass
No mass introduction of LR (cause to much pollution)

Use less rock, corals will build your reefscape.

d3a03b598ab2f7897aa872aeb52338e5.jpg
162e57df7cf9984521ece7fecf1aeffc.jpg
1bc6e8a460e02d3857ff8277d9844586.jpg

gettaReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unreal! I know I've seen these same pics many times before but still every time it takes my breath away and my jaw hits the floor!

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unreal! I know I've seen these same pics many times before but still every time it takes my breath away and my jaw hits the floor!
Thanks mate.

My tank has been running crash free for 5 years in a stretch.

No water changes since 2004.

So you may say, i learned a few things on my reefing journey.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically this method is targeting 12 water parameters, and adjusting each one until you reach the target levels? Then just stay there and watch the tank thrive.

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a questions - what types of corals can you grow using this special method'. your tank looks awesome.
Mine is a mixed reef with 200+ species.
Because you can tweak all values yourself anything is possible.

This is another tank of mine
Nearly 3 year no waterchanges
a34cbc5a8f2fb00978ec48b8acf56c4f.jpg

Last edited:

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone in the US asked for shipping costs to have a starter pack, or some of the other items shipped over?

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the items are readily available under other brands in the US.

I just make my own. @glennf doesnt seem to mind. Keep in mind it’s all about stability. Some elements are much more stable in seawater than others. I don’t have to dose much on a daily basis because I don’t have that much coral growth. I have to dose nitrate versus trying to remove it.

Edit: If you aren’t quite familiar with what he is doing, I highly recommend using his supplements instead of making your own. You really need to know what you are doing in order to make your own supplements.

Last edited:
OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just make my own. @glennf doesnt seem to mind. Keep in mind it’s all about stability. Some elements are much more stable in seawater than others. I don’t have to dose much on a daily basis because I don’t have that much coral growth. I have to dose nitrate versus trying to remove it.

Edit: If you aren’t quite familiar with what he is doing, I highly recommend using his supplements instead of making your own. You really need to know what you are doing in order to make your own supplements.
True..

Sourcing can be a pain, especialy when you don't have the time, knowledge, experience and contacts. It can also be a good learning experience

I shared how the method work, i made it available, but i can't/will not be responsible for products not from my own hand.

I expect people who want to duplicate and make money from it, to put some effort, and their own skills to work.

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the items are readily available under other brands in the US.
Some are...
Like many other product (like reefsalts) their might be slight differrence in pollutant
or even combined/complexed elements.

It about finding the best to suit your(tank) needs.

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to the Seaflowerstore.com website and request a quote with shipping costs. They got back to me the next day.

https://www.seaflowerstore.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=DSR

I paid around 85-90 dollars for shipping from seaflower. As the shipping was expensive, I bought 5000ML volumes and 1000ML volumes:

1. 5000 ML FE+ (Phosphate remover)
2. 5000 ML No3 (Nitrate additive)
3. 1000 ML FE Trace
4. 1000 ML Phosphate additive (for when I will need to dose Po4)
5. 1000 ML Iodine (Per the calculator I dose .20 ML nightly)
6. 1000 ML Boron
7. 1000 ML Strontium
8. 1000 ML Potassium

All of the above (including shipping was around 430 dollars. The Shipping you take a hit no matter if you buy 1000ML or 20000ML and the prices for the products are relatively the same once you get past the shipping costs.

I've found the Po4 remover to be very effective at controlling Po4. I use my own carbon source to control No3 (vinegar). For all the other common elements I use typical Soda Ash, Mag Chloride etc etc. I've been without a water change for 7 months now, so far everything is growing well. For testing I follow Glen's specifications with the exception of Sr, Br, and K. I've found the tests to be a pain in the butt there, I just use ICP now because those tests in frequency are 2-3 months and those elements are relatively stable. It's still an experiment for me but it's going well so far.

-Tom

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some are...
Like many other product (like reefsalts) their might be slight differrence in pollutant
or even combined/complexed elements.

It about finding the best to suit your(tank) needs.
Glenn
If your products were available in the US I would prefer to use them. Any plans to have a US distributer? Do you think there is enough demand here?

While my tank does not look as nice as yours, I love not doing water changes.

Last edited:

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glenn
If your products were available in the US I would prefer to use them. Any plans to have a US distributer? Do you think there is enough demand here?

While my tank does not look as nice as yours, I love not doing water changes.

I agree. I’d buy at least a good portion of my supplements from him, but it kills me to pay top dollar for the shops AND pay huge shipping.

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I’d buy at least a good portion of my supplements from him, but it kills me to pay top dollar for the shops AND pay huge shipping.

As I posted earlier, the shipping is huge. However, if you buy in large quantities it will mitigate the cost. For instance, by my calculations it will take me 6 years to run out of the Po4 remover FE + if I used it every day. If you buy in one large chunk, you don't have to get refills ;-).

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I posted earlier, the shipping is huge. However, if you buy in large quantities it will mitigate the cost. For instance, by my calculations it will take me 6 years to run out of the Po4 remover FE + if I used it every day. If you buy in one large chunk, you don't have to get refills ;-).

True. But I bit the bullet and just designed my own supplements for a few percent of the cost of shipping liquids across the ocean. I have a background in basic water chemistry, so it wasn’t that hard. I used Glenn’s dosing recommendations as a starting point for my own supplements. He was very kind to share his dosing rates, methods, etc. For example, in my new tank that has little coral growth all I have to dose is I, Mn, and what Glenn calls trace Fe. Alk and Ca are made up by putting aragonite in my topoff container. Easiest tank ever. Just change my powerfilter out once every few weeks. The supps last months before needing refilling.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back