The DSR Method (Dutch Synthetic Reefing)

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSR controls every parmeter without regular waterchanges.

You don't need anything else...
Anything you combine may be counterproductive.

Look up the technical requirements in here:
www.DSRreefing.com/technics
e712d34cb978b0da9e6e817dfd3632ed.jpg
Feeling a bit confused. It says to used a protein skimmer with sufficient capacity, but Glenn’s skimmer is very small for his tank size and perhaps underpowered?

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using DSR since August. I did not have all that I needed to measure and dose everything then. It took me a while to get the extra test kits and Chemicals required. I started dosing small amounts of vinegar, iron and Strontium on the 19 of August 2016. My tank was only 6 months old then. My nitrates were 25 and Phosphates 2.0, on Sept 25 they were 2.5 and 0.03. I have never had either anywhere near that low before. I have since increased feeding and will be adding more fish, as soon as they are done with QT. I also incorporated a simple ATS in my sump which I harvest weakly. My Cheeto has slowly disappeared. While my ALK 8.0, Ca 310 & Mag 1080 are all a bit low today, due to addition of a bunch of corals and a clam purchased at Rap, the colors of all my SPS are the best I have ever had. Zoas, mushrooms, leather, LPS and anemones are all doing great.the only problem is my xenia has spread like crazy. I keep taking it out and don't make a dent on it. I like xenia, but not so much! I never had any luck with bio pellets or GFO. I have only done 2 water changes since setting up the tank, mostly because I had the water on hand. I always have a 60 gallon drum of salt water ready to use if need be, however I am now contemplating if I need to continue doing so. I am very happy with my results so far.

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi glenn.
You recommend a skimmer but not activated carbon. Considering activated carbon is far more effective at removing disolved organic compounds from the water I would be interested in hearing your reasons for choosing the less effective tool.

Cheers m8

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using DSR since August. I did not have all that I needed to measure and dose everything then. It took me a while to get the extra test kits and Chemicals required. I started dosing small amounts of vinegar, iron and Strontium on the 19 of August 2016. My tank was only 6 months old then. My nitrates were 25 and Phosphates 2.0, on Sept 25 they were 2.5 and 0.03. I have never had either anywhere near that low before. I have since increased feeding and will be adding more fish, as soon as they are done with QT. I also incorporated a simple ATS in my sump which I harvest weakly. My Cheeto has slowly disappeared. While my ALK 8.0, Ca 310 & Mag 1080 are all a bit low today, due to addition of a bunch of corals and a clam purchased at Rap, the colors of all my SPS are the best I have ever had. Zoas, mushrooms, leather, LPS and anemones are all doing great.the only problem is my xenia has spread like crazy. I keep taking it out and don't make a dent on it. I like xenia, but not so much! I never had any luck with bio pellets or GFO. I have only done 2 water changes since setting up the tank, mostly because I had the water on hand. I always have a 60 gallon drum of salt water ready to use if need be, however I am now contemplating if I need to continue doing so. I am very happy with my results so far.

What Iron Product, Strontium product are you using to dose? Have you had the need to dose No3 and Po4 yet?

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeling a bit confused. It says to used a protein skimmer with sufficient capacity, but Glenn’s skimmer is very small for his tank size and perhaps underpowered?
Sufficient meaning not "super" oversized like most do.

Fe and CarbonVS dosings make skimmers more efficient in exporting unwantend surplus.
The powerfilter add complementairy support for the skimmer in controlling surplus.
www.DSRreefing.com/powerfilter

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad it helped you on your reefing journey.

Many reefer think more/expensive is better.

Sometimes less is more.....

Look in here for essential technics for my method.
www.DSRreefing.com/technics

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi glenn.
You recommend a skimmer but not activated carbon. Considering activated carbon is far more effective at removing disolved organic compounds from the water I would be interested in hearing your reasons for choosing the less effective tool.

Cheers m8
Do you like this?
94368d648e88e6abc3cc1ca58c34f89c.jpg

Look 2,5 meters deep into the tank
Clear enough?
No use of GAC ever........
How come?
Just using Fe/CarbonVS/powerfilter.
This combination can filter out coloring of the water. The corals are also a great help in removing excess material from the water.

You just need to get the upwards swing going by covering the bases.

That's what the method teach you (help you with).

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you like this?
94368d648e88e6abc3cc1ca58c34f89c.jpg

Look 2,5 meters deep into the tank
Clear enough?
No use of GAC ever........
How come?
Just using Fe/CarbonVS/powerfilter.
This combination can filter out coloring of the water. The corals are also a great help in removing excess material from the water.

You just need to get the upwards swing going by covering the bases.

That's what the method teach you (help you with).
Thanks glenn.
On your "DSR Technical requirements:" page you recommend using UV. On your History page http://dsrreefing.com/history/ you list UV, ozone & a zeolite reactor as part of your technique. Which of these three tools (if any) do you believe are imperative for a successful 'no regular water change' system, specifically ?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back