The DSR Method (Dutch Synthetic Reefing)

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Article in 2008 in the first edition of a magazine about my anemone fish and seahorse breads.
uploadfromtaptalk1404732641765.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1404732674808.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1404732698517.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1404732641765.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1404732674808.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1404732698517.jpg

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember the first time one of my articles appeared in a magazine I was on the train from Manhattan and I was so excited to see it in print that I wanted to show someone, but on that day, there was no one on the train that I knew. At that time, I think it was in the 80s it appeared in FAMMA and I think Marine Aquarist or something like that. Now I have articles all over the place but "on line" stuff doesn't have the same impact as actually seeing something in print. I also speak on the history of the hobby, that is really fun and I enjoy it.
In the early 70s when I started there were almost no books except "The Salt Water Aquarium in the Home" by Robert Straughn. (The Father of salt water fish keeping) I still have it. I learned almost everything I know by diving with the creatures I wanted to learn about. I wanted to keep Moorish Idols so I went to Tahiti to spend time with them. I recently returned from a diving vacation on the outer Hawaiian Islands. I don't dive like a tourist. I have my own boat and equipment but when I go to the tropics, I find a guide and tell him (or her) what I am looking for, they take me to the place and leave me alone until I run out of air. I learn more about fish in an hour like than reading a book by a scientist or researcher who learned all he knows from a book. First hand knowledge is the best. I have spent about 300 hours underwater so far, but I am not quite done yet. Of course diving won't teach you about water chemistry.
I figured that out from over 50 years of keeping aquariums and I go for a very natural system. I have no test kits any more as I have no need for them so my method is different than yours and most people. I rely on bacteria and algae to keep my tank stable although some people rely on water changes and others depend on testing and adding what they feel is needed. To each his own. Everyone has their favorite system and many systems work just fine, it all depends on what you like to do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would rather be surrounded by Supermodels, Supermodels with fish tanks. A rare breed I am sure

Haha..paul by now i know you like your women...young and skinny.
So true what you say about knowledge at first hand. But we have to be practical not anybody have time and luxury to learn things form the first hand. So we have to try to find a way to transfer our knowledge. Books are a good way, but the modern way is by internet.
The downside is that nowadays anybody can write down anything they like. They parrot others without even knowing where that knowledge they transfer comes from.

I see this happen on many forums...
an absolute newby gather information for his tank, yet to be started and he already start using than information to advice others with that "expertise" as if he was running his tank for years.
How can he do that i wonder, he did not even saw a drop of salt water.

Last edited:
OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also exited with the first publication on advanced aquarist

26 juni 2013, Advanced Aquarist "GlennF's 1500 liter reef using his "DSR Method"
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/glennfs-1500-liter-reef-using-hisdsr-method

My tank was also featured in reef hobbyist magazine.
jan2014, reef hobbyist magazine (californie) "A FLOURISHING DUTCH SYNTHETIC REEF"
http://www.reefhobbyistmagazine.com/magazine-tiled-q1-2014-41.html
Page 41 - 46

And also TOTM on RS jan2014

I was invited to speak on "Cerianthus" (saltwater club) on may 2014 and in september 2014 i have one planned at "the anemone"

Last edited:
OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have never dived before, but i think i will start a course this summer together with my son and daughter 20y/19y.
i however own a speedboat and 2 jetski's, so you can say water runs through my veins.

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think there are so many side tracks and questions by now , i can't start to go into every single one of them.
so i am sorry if i forgot or oversee any comment or question.

i think by now i would have established i am not kidding around, and don't really appreciate people wasting my time and sabotaging my efforts to share what i know.

i do this because i think i have found something that is worth sharing and it would be a shame to just let it go to waste, because it was not shared with others.

i also do this as a hobby, so please don't put pressure on me, because i have no obligations to do so.
i love to share it, as long as it's fun for me.

having said it all, it's time to start talking about the method itself.

Last edited:
OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DSR method is my way of running a full occupied mixed reef tank without water changes.
i developed this method myself beginning of 2012, after running my tank since 2004 without any water change.
This was due to my goal to put down a full mixed reef with SPS/LPS/ and Softcorals in one habitat, something few people said to be impossible.

Features:
- experimental method and use is at your own risk. (experiment has been running from jan2012)
- compose your own salt.
- No more regular water change.
- water parameter corrections possible ( getting rid off imbalances in salt water including NaCl, Kh, Ca, Mg).
- Control of 12 values by known basic substances.
- DSR Calculator that calculates the dosage of all substances.
- Stable values by measurement and continuous corrections
- more economical as the aquarium gets bigger.
- By periodic measurements more understanding about the status of your tank.
- Ability to add other trace elements outside the DSR elements.
- Instant start (stop WC, measure a Correct using DSR elements and procedures)
- Instant stop (do aWC and stop DSR specific procedures)
In all, the DSR program contains 14 substances, eleven are measured.

The substances and test sets used:
1- Salinity: Milwauke Refracto metres (Pure NaCl Salt)
2- KH: Salifert (sodium bicarbonate)
3- Calcium: Salifert (Calcium Chloride)
4- Magnesium: Salifert (Magnesium Chloride)
5- (Magnesium sulfate) only used when mixing new water uses
6- Potassium: Redsea Potasium test ReefCare (Potassium Chloride)
7- Strontium: Salifert (Strontium solution)
8- Boron: Salifert Borium (Boron solution)
9- Iodide: Salifert I (Iodide Solution)
10- phosphate: Redsea Reefcare PO4 test. (Phosphate solution)
11- Nitrate: Salifert NO3 (nitrate solution)
12- iron: Sera Fe (iron citrate solution) – also used as PO4 reducer!
13- reduce Nitrate: (Carbon-vinegar/sugar solution)
14- for healthy buttons: (Amino/VitamineC solution)
You need the test set and the raw materials.

A dosing device is not necessary, but makes life easier. I use a 4 channel dosing pump and sometimes if necessary I have 2 extra channels added.

The latest DSR calculator can be downloaded here.
http://dsrreefing.nl/images/DSR_Calc_Eng_Dutch.zip

movie about the functions of the DSR calculator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRFmHFQkJ1c&feature=youtube_gdata_player

In the calculator you have two choices:
- compose a new batch custom salt water
- measuring and correct parameters with the calculated quantities

An iron solution is used primary to reduce Phosphate, and secondary works as nitrate reducer. It also serves as a trace element.
There is a carbon source (Carbon) used in the form of vinegar/sugar to reduce nitrate.

The DSR method is an all-In Solution. You can manipulate 11 water parameter values in both positive and negatives values.
Essential minerals, trace elements and nutrients/pollutions are being monitored and controlled. For this reason water changes are not necessary anymore.

Remember you just can’t stop WC without substituting this for another way to topup minerals and control you water parameters.

Last edited:
OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Squamosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DSR method is my way of running a full occupied mixed reef tank without water changes.
i developed this method myself beginning of 2012, after running my tank since 2004 without any water change.
This was due to my goal to put down a full mixed reef with SPS/LPS/ and Softcorals in one habitat, something few people said to be impossible.

Features:
- experimental method and use is at your own risk. (experiment has been running from jan2012)
- compose your own salt.
- No more regular water change.
- water parameter corrections possible ( getting rid off imbalances in salt water including NaCl, Kh, Ca, Mg).
- Control of 12 values by known basic substances.
- DSR Calculator that calculates the dosage of all substances.
- Stable values by measurement and continuous corrections
- more economical as the aquarium gets bigger.
- By periodic measurements more understanding about the status of your tank.
- Ability to add other trace elements outside the DSR elements.
- Instant start (stop WC, measure a Correct using DSR elements and procedures)
- Instant stop (do aWC and stop DSR specific procedures)
In all, the DSR program contains 14 substances, eleven are measured.

The substances and test sets used:
1- Salinity: Milwauke Refracto metres (Pure NaCl Salt)
2- KH: Salifert (sodium bicarbonate)
3- Calcium: Salifert (Calcium Chloride)
4- Magnesium: Salifert (Magnesium Chloride)
5- (Magnesium sulfate) only used when mixing new water uses
6- Potassium: Redsea Potasium test ReefCare (Potassium Chloride)
7- Strontium: Salifert (Strontium solution)
8- Boron: Salifert Borium (Boron solution)
9- Iodide: Salifert I (Iodide Solution)
10- phosphate: Redsea Reefcare PO4 test. (Phosphate solution)
11- Nitrate: Salifert NO3 (nitrate solution)
12- iron: Sera Fe (iron citrate solution) – also used as PO4 reducer!
13- reduce Nitrate: (Carbon-vinegar/sugar solution)
14- for healthy buttons: (Amino/VitamineC solution)
You need the test set and the raw materials.

A dosing device is not necessary, but makes life easier. I use a 4 channel dosing pump and sometimes if necessary I have 2 extra channels added.

The latest DSR calculator can be downloaded here.
http://dsrreefing.nl/images/DSR_Calc_Eng_Dutch.zip

movie about the functions of the DSR calculator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRFmHFQkJ1c&feature=youtube_gdata_player

In the calculator you have two choices:
- compose a new batch custom salt water
- measuring and correct parameters with the calculated quantities

An iron solution is used primary to reduce Phosphate, and secondary works as nitrate reducer. It also serves as a trace element.
There is a carbon source (Carbon) used in the form of vinegar/sugar to reduce nitrate.

The DSR method is an all-In Solution. You can manipulate 11 water parameter values in both positive and negatives values.
Essential minerals, trace elements and nutrients/pollutions are being monitored and controlled. For this reason water changes are not necessary anymore.

Remember you just can’t stop WC without substituting this for another way to topup minerals and control you water parameters.

Hi Glenn

I have just started researching your method and being a scientist, having control of all your water parameters is exciting to me. I have also recently become a member of your forum (although I can speak Afrikaans, the Dutch language is still a challenge :) )

Your system is an inspiration to all us reefers :)

I currently use the ZeoVit method and it is working for me, although very slowly and was thinking of another method to use that is:
  1. Not so expensive (with many little bottles)
  2. Features additives where I know precisely the contents and concentrations of.
  3. I am also looking for good growth and colour with thriving animals.
I would perhaps like to cut my water changes down to once a month or longer and after having used many different salts would like to formulate my own, knowing precisely what chemical is in each and in the correct ratios.

I have a modest 500L SPS dominated tank and have been in the hobby for ~2 years.

I have some concerns though:
  1. Many more tests increase the costs and time spent testing
  2. Some of the chemicals additives such as boron, strontium e.t.c. are not readily available here in Australia and would need to be sourced at greater expense, possibly from overseas.
  3. Using GFO or iron in my tank has always caused a decline in my SPS corals, that's why I use zeolites, bacteria and a carbon source currently to remove PO4.
  4. Would like to dose a mixture of some elements together to avoid setting up multiple channels of dosers (I currently have only three channels)
Please keep up the open source of knowledge :rockon:
Cheers, Tony

Girlsfish2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in this hobby for 5 years and still am learning so much. I am slowly starting to understand the meaning of all the water parameters and how to keep them stable and still trying to learn how to get good growth and color in all of my sps corals. It's a slow process for me lol

danangelo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing your knowledge I have always wondered not doing a water change and supplement the required or present elements in the seawater that is depleting from consumption or skimming or evaporation. There elements that I was not to sure of how to control your ideas made it somewhat clearer and makes sense now just learning on how to implement it to how it would work according to my own tank is gonna take some trials and error..with my disability I would really like to not have to change water so much..my question is has anyone done this method with natural sea water?..lots of great info thanks again for sharing I have a lot of researching to do now...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back