The DSR Method (Dutch Synthetic Reefing)

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glenn could you share a link to your thread on the dutch fourm you post on.
I liked to read thru the thread and see others tanks. I care nothing about the whole WC debate and am interested in the science of the method. perhaps talking about each element and why and where its use and meaning would be helpful.

+1

-Matt

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go bud,

De DSR Methode (Dutch Synthetic Reefing)

Hope your can read Dutch?

But for the lousy tapatalk header I would be reading an online translation. Will have to wait for glen or for some time in front of my computer (which never happens) where tapatalk won't be in the way. Wish there was something better than tapatalk, or that tapatalk was less popular. Not a fan.

-Matt

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope with version 8 of IOS there is the ability to translate in the os. Which will make things easier for those that want to read non native language forums.

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gee I wonder what paul b thinks of this.

Paulb does limited water changes and does it the relaxed way. Dosing ca and alk to keep up the levels based on long time routine.
Pauls expertise and interrest are the fish within his tank and with that he has proven to be a hardcore real life expert.
He is sure no paper tiger who parrot others lectures.

My approach is no wc at all. (Beside minor lost through skimming, fragging and minor siphoning)
and dosing and balancing all depleted elemnets based on all the elements of synthetic composed salt.
Nutrients are controled bij iron and carbon dosing.
Bij taking full control a large variety of soft, lps and sps keeping is possible.
That's the simple summary.

My main interrest is focussed on calculated water parameter and coral keeping..

Last edited:
OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Subscribed, thanks for sharing Glenn! I am completely intrigued and very excited to hear/learn more about this.

Patience brain...
I will only tell what people are willing to hear. This safe myself and others a lot of aggrevation and only attracts flamers and troller. When they realize is won't act towards them they will stop themselves.
I have fought this battle before in my own country and i know how sensitive the subject is.

I will elaborate on any genuine and honest intended question although....:)

Last edited:

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go bud,

De DSR Methode (Dutch Synthetic Reefing)

Hope your can read Dutch?

Hello guest,
To view this forum, you must registerhttps://translate.googleusercontent...er.php&usg=ALkJrhiuop9mIwMcfAk121eTby88ancI8w and you must log in!

Got the link into a translator....I get more appetite whetting in the opening post, then a request to log in.....is this a pattern? LOL.

I'll have to wait for glen come out with the details after all....tapatalk or no.

-Matt

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is this iron dosing you speak of? What is used?

Iron dosing is simply said: putting rust into your tank to bind phosphate.
Iron bind to phosphate and percipitate this percipitation can be skimmed off, or filtered out wit cottonwool on a main pump which can build pressure.

In simpel terms Fe + PO4 dilluted in water becomes FePO4 solid.

Last edited:

Mark...

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curiously following. Most of my numbers on my new 180 are very close to the ones recommended. I have been doing 10-15% water changes every 2 weeks so far. Hardly any bioload due to QTing new arrivals slowly.(One happy cromisin in DT and a damsel in sump/frag area) Few corals I have in tank not looking great so far.Skimmer pulling lots of junk even with light biolaod. Diatoms just about done thanks to cuc and felt socks.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iron dosing is simply said: putting rust into your tank to bind phosphate.
Iron bind to phosphate and percipitate this percipitation can be skimmed off, or filtered out wit cottonwool on a main pump which can build pressure.

In simpel terms Fe + PO4 dilluted in water becomes FePO4 solid.

Is this the same process happening while running GFO in one's system?

-Matt

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If one is exporting nutrients (nitrates, phosphates, and organics), dosing alk, cal, and mag, and is also running GFO what else is needed for this method?

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you testing for all the minerals found in salt mixes? Looking at your spreadsheet I see you are testing for the usual stuff plus Iodine, Iron, Boron, Strontium, and Potassium. Also what did you base your target levels on? Was this based on what you found in a fresh batch of water or natural seawater? What about silicon and bromine and other trace elements? How are you going about replenishing these or testing the levels?

This sounds similar to what the planted tank folks call EI dosing to ensure their plants get what they need along with the right amount of light and CO2, but they also do things a little differently and perform a weekly water change to "reset" their numbers for the following week's dosing.

Water changes aren't necessarily cheap and I can also see how water changes alter water parameters which can cause swings in the parameters. With reefs stability is a big thing. The dutch had an influence on this side of the hobby as well.

One other thing are you checking your ORP? What are you doing to maintain an acceptable ORP? I'm not arguing that water changes are the only way to maintain a healthy reef, but I do sometimes think too many can have the same effect as neglecting your tank. Things like your water being "too clean" or huge swings in parameters because of the differences in Alk, Ca, Mg, pH etc can also have an effect on the inhabitants.

How long have you been maintaining your tank this way? With this method what do you do when something gets off or too high like if your nitrates or phosphates get too high? Are you just skimming more aggressively and increasing chemical/mechanical filtration? What do you do if altering the filtration doesn't start to bring things back into an acceptable level? I'm no expert on water chemistry, but I'm very curious about your method.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting! While I am still new to the hobby and will not try something like this for sometime, still something for the future. Thanks for sharing, following!

ETORRES477

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice to see someone sharing alternative methods. It does take courage as some older experts are set in their ways and can not fathom that someone else has a better or different way of accomplishing a succesful reef. A lot of times they end up bullying people with their close minded ideal that they already have it all figured out. Following, and thank you for sharing your experience.

spsguru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This can be a very debatable subject but for me it works. For managing my levels I run a monster skimmer, big calcium reactor, carbon and gfo.I dose brightwell supplements every two weeks in exchange of swapping water that test fine. I feel slow depletion of supplements is better than heavy swings of alk and calk caused with water changes imo.
Is this optimal or perfect? No but it works and I am over two years into this method and have had great success considering that the majority of my livestock is sps.

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This can be a very debatable subject but for me it works. For managing my levels I run a monster skimmer, big calcium reactor, carbon and gfo.I dose brightwell supplements every two weeks in exchange of swapping water that test fine. I feel slow depletion of supplements is better than heavy swings of alk and calk caused with water changes imo.
Is this optimal or perfect? No but it works and I am over two years into this method and have had great success considering that the majority of my livestock is sps.

No water changes at all in 2 years?

spsguru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No water changes at all in 2 years?
Only top off from evaporation and skimmate being removed. Once a month I might pull 3 or 4 gallons in water from detrius removal in the bare bottom frag tank but that is nothing in a 350 gallon system.

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm all ear or for that matter eye in here.
As they say "mijn deur staat wijde open, Glenn"
It been a while but my Dutch is still outstanding, lol.

Dank je diesel, als men eraan toe is zal ik gaan uitleggen hoe ik te werk gaat om het resultaat zonder waterwissel te bewerkstellingen.
Voorlopig doe ik het rustig aan om de topic niet aan te jagen en de verkeerde types aan te trekken.
Sommige willen meer vertellen dan ze luisteren , die moeten dan vooral hun eigen topic starten.
Geen probleem als het gerelateerd is en wat bijdraagt aan het inhoudelijke, maar ik ga geen zinloze discussies aan om de discussie zelf.

Last edited:
OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the coyest reef thread I've ever seen. Am I learning something or being schmoozed? LOL

I'll explain what I mean later...

-Matt

Patience is the key....
There is no rush...... If i go to fast i will be bogged down by others, in that case is rather choose the relaxed way to handle matters.

The whole thing is a hobby to me and my approach will be that way also.
I don't get annoyed.
I only go into subjects that i can't answere.
I don't force anyone to read my BS.
I don't expect anyone to take my words for it.
Flamers can't challenge me to loose my temper, so don't bother.
I share my vision, anyone interested can read about it in here.
I will try to answere any genuine question.
These are very simple ground rules i live by.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.5%
Back