0   0   0

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@slief
Are you running any of your Kessil's or are you running only the Mitra's at this time?

Regards, GoVols

slief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@slief
Are you running any of your Kessil's or are you running only the Mitra's at this time?

Regards, GoVols

I've pretty much switched completely over to the Mitras. My Kessils only run 4 hours a day down at 25% during the peak hours. I need to go back and do some more adjustments to the Mitras intensity as well as their positioning because the Kessils really aren't providing any photosynthetic value. If anything, they help with coverage a bit since I could really use an additional Mitras given the current light layout on my rack and the size of my main display. My aquascape makes the light layout a bit more complex and I think changing the positioning of the 2 Mitras at the end of the peninsula will help with that. What's really cool is that I only have each light pulling about 95 watts according to my Kill-A-Watt meter which is about half their max power! The fact that my growth rates didn't decline at all during the transition to the Mitras makes me really happy. The corals have continued their fast paced growth and their coloration is better than ever before. I am very very pleased with the upgrade. At some point, I should really add one more Mitras to help with the end of the peninsula and allow me to decrease the space between them but even with the 6 over a 4'x8' tank, the coverage is great.

slief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Slief,
I looked at that site earlier and somehow totally misses the Mithras option.
Btw I live fairly close to you, Ventura.
:)
Jason

You certainly are close by. If you ever want to come check out my system, let me know. I'm in Simi Valley on the west side of town. You are invited anytime! In fact, I will be around all weekend if you are free. Just send me a PM. It's always nice to have other reefer's visit.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've pretty much switched completely over to the Mitras. My Kessils only run 4 hours a day down at 25% during the peak hours. I need to go back and do some more adjustments to the Mitras intensity as well as their positioning because the Kessils really aren't providing any photosynthetic value. If anything, they help with coverage a bit since I could really use an additional Mitras given the current light layout on my rack and the size of my main display. My aquascape makes the light layout a bit more complex and I think changing the positioning of the 2 Mitras at the end of the peninsula will help with that. What's really cool is that I only have each light pulling about 95 watts according to my Kill-A-Watt meter which is about half their max power! The fact that my growth rates didn't decline at all during the transition to the Mitras makes me really happy. The corals have continued their fast paced growth and their coloration is better than ever before. I am very very pleased with the upgrade. At some point, I should really add one more Mitras to help with the end of the peninsula and allow me to decrease the space between them but even with the 6 over a 4'x8' tank, the coverage is great.
Slief,
Thanks for taking the time and you do have a tricky aquascape to cover but it's also a beautiful and natural looking scape.
I'm an old Kessil guy but those Mitra's have caught my attention. It also looks like GHL USA has some great customer service too.

Regards, GoVols

slief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slief,
Thanks for taking the time and you do have a tricky aquascape to cover but it's also a beautiful and natural looking scape.
I'm an old Kessil guy but those Mitra's have caught my attention. It also looks like GHL USA has some great customer service too.

Regards, GoVols
Like you, I was a Kessil guy. They are great lights but the Mitras hold their own just fine and have some advantages. The power balancing, spread and most importantly, the color control is what convinced me to make the switch. I've always loved my Kessils but the colors I saw in the same corals in the frag tank under the LX7 made it an easy desicison and one I certainly don't regret!

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Easter bunny came early!

IMG_20170414_203857888.jpg

adamsky27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you link your current light profile? The link in your post isn't working. I am using one from the GHL site and not too sure if I like it.

Dumaurier7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have a Qmaven Zetlight 6600A which pales (pardon the pun! I couldn't resist!) in comparison!

Dumaurier7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe, but the GHL unit can be properly mounted and without the use of zip ties! First power supply I've ever seen with a mounting solution, way to go GHL!

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have first generation 6100 Mitras that have been upgraded led's to the LX7 called 6300's. I have never had an issue with the units. They are rock solid. Been running for many years now.

Pmj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received mine last week. Only have one hung b/c one of the mounting kits were missing a part (screw caps).

Initial impressions
Good:
Sleek everything (housing, cords (which are quite long), power supply).
GCC is fairly easy to use and it truly has more customization than most would even need. Few things took some getting used to. One is nearly every change is instantaneous when you hit "save changes", except for the lighting itself which is a separate project from the rest of the settings (which makes sense I guess).
Wifi worked right away. After you setup this up you don't need to use USB again, but you do have to make a new connection in GCC.
Much more shimmer than my black boxes (which give a very flat t5 look). I wanted more shimmer and was debating Mitras vs Kessil products.
Acclimation feature looks really useful and simple to use. Just set start date & end date & % to start and end at.

Bad (but not really that bad):
Still waiting on missing part. Customer Service is good in that they are responsive, but things are slow and not having the piece for the mounting kit will make it over a month since inital order. 3 business days since I told them about the missing part, just got shipping notification recently).
Mitras get very hot to the touch. You would have to turn it off for a few minutes to take them down if you are running full blast I would guess.
For people wanting to orient it horizontally, you really can't easily, at least with the hanging kit. The powercord is attached to the housing and comes out the back. It would make it hard to balance going sideways. It would have made more sense to have four holes for the hanging kit imho.
Light spill is tremendously more than the black boxes. I initially hung it about 12-13 inches, same as my black box, but I now know it will have to be lower.

I only have the Mitras at 50% right now for acclimation (initially was at 30% but they were significantly dimmer than the old leds, so I figured I was good). I also changed from high efficiency to high power in the settings. This picture isn't really representative of the light power at all and the tank looks like crap, just wanted to show the light spill on the wall so people get an idea of the spread. I think it could do a 36" tank easily if horizontal, or two could do a larger tank than mine (which is 48")

20170502_133629.jpg

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mitras get very hot to the touch. You would have to turn it off for a few minutes to take them down if you are running full blast I would guess.
For people wanting to orient it horizontally, you really can't easily, at least with the hanging kit. The powercord is attached to the housing and comes out the back. It would make it hard to balance going sideways. It would have made more sense to have four holes for the hanging kit imho.

Check on the Energy Options tab, make sure that your fan speed is allowed to go to 100% and also check what the max temp is set to. Out of the box I think the fan speed was limited to 60% on mine. When I changed it 100% the temperature dropped a few deg.

I have mine mounted horizontally, but yes, the power cords kinda twist them a bit. A four hole mount would have been better.

Pmj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone else have issues with the wifi being spotty? GCC randomly disconnects for me and its working up and down all the time, even just pinging the unit. I have no issues with wireless elsewhere in the house and the units are probably the closest thing in my house to the router. I am a sys engineer by trade so I know the basics...

BTW settings are client mode with a static IP set.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try changing the channels that you use. You can find an App for your phone to optimize which ones to use.

Pmj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually did that a while ago to improve coverage in the house, but before I had the light so I never tested over there. I'll give it a try to see if in that spot a different channel makes sense. Anyone else have issues with wifi though?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back