The Hawkfish Lover Thread!

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My matted pair hanging out in there favorite spot in the frint upper right of my tank. I think the enjoy people watching.
20220807_132408~2.jpg

Here my flame hawks are after i interupted what i assume was a matting ritual, which I had never seen them acting this way before.
20220804_104446~2_exported_1660493142373.jpg

In the sticks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a hawk fish for about a week I forget what kind it was he took landlord status pretty quick and bullied everyone, ended up returning him. Is that normal or was I just lucky to get a mean one

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are usually pretty good citizens for the most part. I don't think they usually go out of there way to attack but will always defend themselves and there territory. Could've just got one with a mean streak
Yep...love my Falco Hawkfish! He's such a character! You just can't have any Shrimps! He had a $40 snack a few months ago and devoured my Cleaner Shrimp....other than that...love the dude. Will never get rid of him. He always knows when it's feeding time and does his shimmy, he's always looking at people who look at the tank. One of the best personalities of all my fish.

OP
OP
Reefbuds

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep...love my Falco Hawkfish! He's such a character! You just can't have any Shrimps! He had a $40 snack a few months ago and devoured my Cleaner Shrimp....other than that...love the dude. Will never get rid of him. He always knows when it's feeding time and does his shimmy, he's always looking at people who look at the tank. One of the best personalities of all my fish.
Falcos are great. I figured out pretty quickly you can't mix hawk fish and any kind of shrimp. That's about the only thing I've seen that is 100% incompatible, although I'm sure there's more

OP
OP
Reefbuds

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried pairing up hawkfish before? Got a male who was with a mate until she passed years ago. Anyone know how hard it would be to add a female and have them pair up or how it works with them?

Hillpag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i don't have a hawkfish anymore (he was a falco hawk) but i remember him being bulletproof. He survived a tank with a terrible velvet outbreak at a store and i got him for 50 percent off as a result. He was a pretty chill fish and just like to perch himself on the live rock.
My hawkfish also survived a brutal velvet outbreak, the sole survivor! He is full of character, watches me… Like a hawk yep… and is my most cherished fish. Strong minded and a bit bossy, he deserves his rank. I just love the guy. Can’t wait for more and now curious to learn more about the Falco.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried pairing up hawkfish before? Got a male who was with a mate until she passed years ago. Anyone know how hard it would be to add a female and have them pair up or how it works with them?
I had a flame hawk for a while and decided to try for a pair. I bought a second one that was a fair bit smaller. They paired up over time and as the second grew. They have now spawned at least 4 times that I know of over the last couple years. I suspect more as the female will get quite plumb every few months. I should keep notes on when they do. I don't know if that is the way to do it or if I just got lucky.

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say prolly the most rare is the redbar hawkfish which is Hawaiian endemic.

Otherwise I'd lean towards the threadfin hawkfish for more rare, I've only seen them in stores a few times over the past 20+ years. The rest of the hawks seem to be around enough to purchase.

LeonardTheWrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is sort of an older thread, but does anyone have experience with pairing either Flame or Longnose Hawkfish?
If I were to attempt to pair them, how should I choose them?
Thanks

OP
OP
Reefbuds

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is sort of an older thread, but does anyone have experience with pairing either Flame or Longnose Hawkfish?
If I were to attempt to pair them, how should I choose them?
Thanks
From what I know it's kind of like clownfish but backwards. The larger ones are males and smaller are females. So you should just have to get a smaller and larger one and one would become the dominant male. Havnt looked into it for a while but I believe this is how it works with them.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I want to pair up the one I had I just made sure to get a smaller one. Now they are the same size. I can only tell which is the female when she is ripe. My female is being very shy at the moment, hiding in the rockwork. I suspect they will spawn tonight. You can see how wide and fat her belly is before spawning.
1000003412.jpg

That is the best photo I could get today. Usually they are both out together watching my every move when I am near the tank. The male is slender by comparison.
1000003414.jpg

OP
OP
Reefbuds

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I want to pair up the one I had I just made sure to get a smaller one. Now they are the same size. I can only tell which is the female when she is ripe. My female is being very shy at the moment, hiding in the rockwork. I suspect they will spawn tonight. You can see how wide and fat her belly is before spawning.
1000003412.jpg

That is the best photo I could get today. Usually they are both out together watching my every move when I am near the tank. The male is slender by comparison.
1000003414.jpg
Wow this is so cool. I would love to add a smaller one to mine. Great to see success here on mating them.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back