The Jolt 180

jolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this tank wet one year ago so I guess it's time to start a build thread ...

This is my Reef Savvy 180 gallon tank, with a custom stand by Benner's Woodworking. Here is a shot just after I filled it up last year

IMG_2581.JPG

And a couple of quick shots inside the cabinet

IMG_2662.JPG

IMG_2660.JPG

Shortly after I had the tank cycled a local tank was having an emergency shutdown and I had the opportunity to pick up some established fish. My wife loves yellow tangs and I was able to pick up a pair along with a large gem tang and a bandit angelfish. These fish already knew each other and were getting along, so I could not pass it up. But, having started the tank with dry rock, it was really too much bioload too fast and I spent the next ten months fighting waves of cyano and dinoflagellates. The tank has finally rounded the corner and I am starting to populate it with mainly acropora from my growout frag tank (67 gallon planet aquariums tank)

Here's a FTS from a couple of weeks ago:

IMG_3420.JPG

Main Equipment List:

Ecotech Radion G3 Pro x 4, running Coral Labs AB+ schedule
Elite Aquatics Sump
Geo dual chamber calcium reactor with SS ProStar industrial regulator
Apex (not the new one)
Neptune Wav pump pair
Gyre 250
Ecotech L1 return pump
Turbo's Aquatics L4 ATS
Avast Skimmer with Skimmate Locker & Swabbie

Here's a quick shot of the growout tank holding all the goodies destined for the DT. Everything gets dipped before going into growout. Then clipped and dipped again before going in DT.

IMG_3424.JPG

Finally, for grins, here's Mr. Bandit checking out a few transfers from the growout. I have a bet with @FarmerTy that Mr. Bandit won't eat the tester acan. The first week looked good, but truthfully the last couple of days seem a little iffy. Ty may win this one ...

IMG_3472.JPG

Last edited:

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Benchmark system for sure, and that frag tank is insane. Where did you find the modular mounting plate? Back to the frags, what would you attribute the consistent growth of all your frags to? Ca reactor, lighting, supplements?

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the first time I am seeing your tank. ;Woot I knew you had a Reef Savvy, but have never run across this thread with pictures. Beautiful tank and inhabitants! Love the frag tank too.

Pathetically, mine is still dry. I am beginning to wonder if it will ever see water. :(

OP
OP
jolt

jolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the first time I am seeing your tank. ;Woot I knew you had a Reef Savvy, but have never run across this thread with pictures. Beautiful tank and inhabitants! Love the frag tank too.

Pathetically, mine is still dry. I am beginning to wonder if it will ever see water. :(

Hey Fin - Thanks! You know, you've had some side tracks but you will get there!

OP
OP
jolt

jolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Benchmark system for sure, and that frag tank is insane. Where did you find the modular mounting plate? Back to the frags, what would you attribute the consistent growth of all your frags to? Ca reactor, lighting, supplements?

Those are intended for use in a BUD box, but I decided they were perfect. In my frag tank I used a BUD box + one of these panels since I did not have an isolated electronics partition in that stand. They come in many sizes, and I just use black screws to attach things to them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UPE9B6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For growth, I have struggled a bit, every tank being unique. Consistency is key. I measure Alk frequently and try not to let swings bigger than 0.5 DKh happen per day. I watch nitrate and phosphates. I dose Pohl's xtra, KZ Amino LPS, and KZ Coral Vitalizer, but I try to keep nitrates and phosphate at a reasonable level (like 5ppm and 0.05ppm). I swung too far towards low nutrients and lost some things. I deal with bryopsis, ulva, bubble algae, dictyota, and little brown flatworms. Used flucanazole, flatworm exit, vibrant. Lots of manual removal and cleaning. Try to find the right bioload to reduce dosing. Use the AB+ program on my radions and don't fiddle with it. Keep flow high. So basically its good equipment and water management, constantly monitoring, tuning, deciding on plans of action. I'm exhausted! (just kidding)

Last edited:
Back