it seems like a lot of waste though.
that's a clever design. no support needed to print it

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Or you could draw a section and revolve it around an axis, then create rectangular object that intersects with the revolved section and do a circular pattern on it and then remove where they intersect with the rotated section and voila! filter sock cup!

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or you could draw a section and revolve it around an axis, then create rectangular object that intersects with the revolved section and do a circular pattern on it and then remove where they intersect with the rotated section and voila! filter sock cup!
I've used more-or-less this exact method to model overflow standpipe strainers (similar function to filter sock cups).
Of course, designing for 3D-printing always includes forethought into avoiding support material and avoiding issues from the weaker plane from layering whenever possible.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's a clever design. no support needed to print it
It does need two prints though. Not a problem, just a thing.
I could? Getting holes around the cylinder has been my bane for days now!
I've used more-or-less this exact method to model overflow standpipe strainers (similar function to filter sock cups).
Of course, designing for 3D-printing always includes forethought into avoiding support material and avoiding issues from the weaker plane from layering whenever possible.
I'm trying to make a feeder cup. The holes are driving me crazy

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to make a feeder cup. The holes are driving me crazy
Approximately how are you going about it? Can you describe modelling steps you have tried?
I am very familiar with CAD modelling, just not very familiar with Fusion360 specifically. I might be able to give pointers to help with how to tackle the hole issues (as can @Projects with Sam ; Sam, are you familiar with modelling in Fusion360? If so, I'll leave this to you to advise if you will).

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Assuming your part is oriented around the origin:
I'd make an offset plane to just outside your part. then make a sketch on it and draw the cutout you want. I wouldnt bother projecting it onto the surface, rather the quick and dirty... extrude your profile till it intersects the part and make a new body. then do a 360degree circular pattern on it making new object in 'cut' mode to make the actual holes.
couldnt find any Lars!

revolve tool:
circular pattern:
project to surface:

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calculating Figure It Out GIF

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Approximately how are you going about it? Can you describe modelling steps you have tried?
I am very familiar with CAD modelling, just not very familiar with Fusion360 specifically. I might be able to give pointers to help with how to tackle the hole issues (as can @Projects with Sam ; Sam, are you familiar with modelling in Fusion360? If so, I'll leave this to you to advise if you will).
advice from either is welcome.
1) create cylinder to match outside dimensions needed
2) center a hole for most of it, leaving about 2mm bottom and sides
3) draw in wall the hole I want
4) vertical pattern along the z axis
5) get stymied at how to wrap the pattern around the object.
6) drink a beer and do something easier, like study bioethics.

I can get holes in the base with a circular pattern.

i believe so
I'd make an offset plane to just outside your part.
how? i think I know what this is. I may have used it to recess the lid on the stand for my other build.
then make a sketch on it and draw the cutout you want.
understand this. a positive object, or a hole?
I wouldnt bother projecting it onto the surface, rather the quick and dirty... extrude your profile till it intersects the part and make a new body.
so draw the first smaller than I want so I can extrude to fit?
then do a 360degree circular pattern on it making new object in 'cut' mode to make the actual holes.

revolve tool:
circular pattern:
project to surface:

edit: I couldn't see the videos in the original post.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd make an offset plane to just outside your part. then make a sketch on it and draw the cutout you want. I wouldnt bother projecting it onto the surface, rather the quick and dirty... extrude your profile till it intersects the part and make a new body. then do a 360degree circular pattern on it making new object in 'cut' mode to make the actual holes.
couldnt find any Lars!

revolve tool:
circular pattern:
project to surface:

That is how I would recommend doing it, except in SolidWorks I just do an extruded cut feature from the cutout sketch through to the inside of the surface of the cup. This even works for spherical surfaces if tweaks are made to the cutout sketch to fine-tune the final shape desired to be cut through the surface.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
advice from either is welcome.
1) create cylinder to match outside dimensions needed
2) center a hole for most of it, leaving about 2mm bottom and sides
4) vertical pattern along the z axis
5) get stymied at how to wrap the pattern around the object.
6) drink a beer and do something easier, like study bioethics.

I can get holes in the base with a circular pattern.
A couple tips (assuming Fusion360 parallels SolidWorks close enough in these regards):

A. For a cup shape, I often use a revolve feature around the origin that is L-shaped where the leg of the L is the side wall thickness and height and the base of the L is the cup base thickness and radius of the cup. This limits it to only 1 feature, but accomplishes the same 2-step process you mentioned that you tried. It might be too complicated for quick discussion why I do it this way, but there are design-intent purposes that may make the model more robust in the long-run if there are changes or if you want to modify this cup for a different purpose and set of dimensions.

B. What plane are you using for drawing "in wall the hole I want"? You can use an origin plane and cut out through the wall, or you can create an offset plan outside the cup and cut out back into the cup as Sam mentioned. Again, there are design-intent considerations for either method, but for your basic practical purposes could give the same result.

C. Assuming similarities to SolidWorks, you can pattern vertically for more rings of holes, then pattern each hole circularly around the cup or you can pattern the hole circularly around the cup, then pattern the circular pattern vertically to add rings of holes. Either method should work, but it most likely should be a 2-step process of doing one pattern first then doing the other pattern from the first pattern.

Of course, I can explain any of this in as much depth as necessary, but it helps if you continue to ask more specific questions that I can answer rather than for me to try to assume everything I need to explain.

Another important note: For basic modeling purposes and your practical intent, there are many different routes to the same final model, but, as an engineer, I have many preferences in CAD-modelling practices that are based around design intent at the start. I'll try to be clear about advising on design intent when I think it will directly help you but refrain from going into this when it does not matter for your one-off model. A lot of my thought process derives from my professional training due to the need for easy-to-communicate models that are robust for design changes and re-use of the model for other designs while improving/maintaining efficiency throughout the process.

Sorry, TL/DR:
I'm willing to offer advice on CAD modelling but may easily go into too much depth unless answering specific questions!

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...one additional point I forgot to mention:
In many of my models, I include relations/equations to correlate dimensions (such as a variable for wall thickness that can be used multiple times and all changed at once rather than just defining the dimension singly over and over; or an equation that relates height of cup as twice the diameter, for example).
Again, as an engineer, I find this to help a lot with design modifications. It may be much more than you need to know, though, so ask me if you want to know how to do it but know that you can accomplish a model through individual dimensioning as well.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol
because why do socks at all?
Just buy roles of https://a.co/7EN1QOM
and bags of https://a.co/4FB1RQa
or a box of https://www.joann.com/5lb-box-of-soft-n-crafty-fiber/7074024.html

Upend your 'ParlACup' over trash when soiled and replace with another wad of poly-fil and done! Because socks are no fun even outside with a pressure washer...
I really need to check out your website. Love the teach kids to use scissors comment.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I slightly read posts from 1,102 through 1,114 because I know very little about 3D printing and did not care to learn it tonight. However, the thing that caught my eye is below... So many ways to go with this but will leave it to the reader's imagination.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fish Styx - this is someone else's build thread. Or are you one of the types that thinks their own build thread is the only one that matters and doesn't follow anyone else. Hhhmmmmmm?

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Fish Styx - this is someone else's build thread. Or are you one of the types that thinks their own build thread is the only one that matters and doesn't follow anyone else. Hhhmmmmmm?
Not at all. I follow a bunch!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not at all. I follow a bunch!
Are you talking about threads or women? Closely but from a distance. With binoculars. And some rope and a sock and duct tape. Creeping stalker!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back