The most “Natural” Reef tank

Clowny1221

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I wanted to ask people here about building a all natural reef tank that would be fully elevated. What kind of lighting would be the best for mimicking the natural sunlight of the ocean, specifically the GBR? Also, what lighting would be possible to match the colours of blue when you dive into oceans? There are many Led lights, Metal halide lights, and T5 lightings that are more to growing corals than mimic the colour of the underwater ocean. When light is reflected upon water’s surface, it’s qualities usually refract red hues of light which in return display blue light. Can’t seem to find a light that could do that with a 15-16 gallon tank becasue the water volume also plays an effect. Also is a natural filter action system possible? A tank with no filter, canister, or sump. Would love to hear ideas from everyone. Much appriciated

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello I wanted to ask people here about building a all natural reef tank that would be fully elevated. What kind of lighting would be the best for mimicking the natural sunlight of the ocean, specifically the GBR? Also, what lighting would be possible to match the colours of blue when you dive into oceans? There are many Led lights, Metal halide lights, and T5 lightings that are more to growing corals than mimic the colour of the underwater ocean. When light is reflected upon water’s surface, it’s qualities usually refract red hues of light which in return display blue light. Can’t seem to find a light that could do that with a 15-16 gallon tank becasue the water volume also plays an effect. Also is a natural filter action system possible? A tank with no filter, canister, or sump. Would love to hear ideas from everyone. Much appriciated
By far - the best light would be 'the sun' - i.e. (you can look on this site) there are many reefs that are lit by outside light - and there are numerous ways to do that. (IMHO) - However, there are any number of LED's that can mimic that - and many Halides - that purport to do so as well.

Yes - a no filter tank is possible - it's called - basically the 'Berlin method'. Live rock and lots of flow. IMHO - with that small a tank - with minimal water volume (like you're attempting) - just like the open ocean - water changes are needed.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, addressing the natural filter portion of your question first, yes it is possible (and the second link below is the build thread for a 17 gallon tank that runs a "natural" filtration system like you describe):
With the regards to the lighting, obviously natural sunlight is the best sunlight imitation (the Reef of the Month link below gives a fantastic of example of this), but - assuming that you don't have access to that/accounting for the fact that it sounds like you're wanting to recreate a deeper water environment - the next best would probably be Kyocera's LED lighting which they specifically built to recreate ocean lighting at various depths (2.5m and 11m to be precise). These are only available to the Japanese market though. Barring that, there are a number of different LED's which can be used, though you would need to research precisely what the light spectrum is like at that depth, and you'll likely have to play with the spectrum of your LED a bit to get it there/as close to there as it can go.

OP
OP
Clowny1221

Clowny1221

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By far - the best light would be 'the sun' - i.e. (you can look on this site) there are many reefs that are lit by outside light - and there are numerous ways to do that. (IMHO) - However, there are any number of LED's that can mimic that - and many Halides - that purport to do so as well.

Yes - a no filter tank is possible - it's called - basically the 'Berlin method'. Live rock and lots of flow. IMHO - with that small a tank - with minimal water volume (like you're attempting) - just like the open ocean - water changes are needed.
Thank you for the source and explanation :)

OP
OP
Clowny1221

Clowny1221

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, addressing the natural filter portion of your question first, yes it is possible (and the second link below is the build thread for a 17 gallon tank that runs a "natural" filtration system like you describe):
With the regards to the lighting, obviously natural sunlight is the best sunlight imitation (the Reef of the Month link below gives a fantastic of example of this), but - assuming that you don't have access to that/accounting for the fact that it sounds like you're wanting to recreate a deeper water environment - the next best would probably be Kyocera's LED lighting which they specifically built to recreate ocean lighting at various depths (2.5m and 11m to be precise). These are only available to the Japanese market though. Barring that, there are a number of different LED's which can be used, though you would need to research precisely what the light spectrum is like at that depth, and you'll likely have to play with the spectrum of your LED a bit to get it there/as close to there as it can go.
Awesome! Thank you for the threads. Will check them out

OP
OP
Clowny1221

Clowny1221

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The detailed and informative explanation and overview really fits well to my questions :)

OP
OP
Clowny1221

Clowny1221

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This may be a ridiculed question but, is it possible to implement the Berlin method while developing a process of “natural“ water change cycle?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This may be a ridiculed question but, is it possible to implement the Berlin method while developing a process of “natural“ water change cycle?
Yes - of course - IMHO - the reef exchanges 1000000 percent of its water daily. that was the point

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None. There are no "natural" style reef tanks because nothing about this hobby is "natural" except that we keep living things. The best way to keep a reef tank is the way that keeps the inhabitants low in stress and healthy. There is also no "natural" filtration for our tanks. Its also a misconception that "natural" = better. This is a common fallacy not just in reefing.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The short answer is yes, it is certainly possible to have a 'natural' no mechanical/chemical filtration reef aquarium. I've been keeping such outwardly 'simplistic' systems for a long time and still have a small nano that I started 14 years ago after downsizing from a 55g (click on my tank build link at the bottom of the page or hop over to Nano-reef to get the full blown 100 page version).

Lighting:

For small nanos people use lighting that contributes as little heat as possible to the tank. This would be LED arrays and contributes to why they are on virtually every small nano in the world. I made my own many years back so that I could custom tailor it to my tastes (old school 'bright', in my case) and provide a broader spectrum than what was being sold in the market place. If you search carefully, you can find good commercial units that can provide not only enough of the blue spectra (violet to cyan) that corals need, but also have a good amount of white light in order to mimic more shallow reef areas.

Last edited:

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None. There are no "natural" style reef tanks because nothing about this hobby is "natural" except that we keep living things. The best way to keep a reef tank is the way that keeps the inhabitants low in stress and healthy. There is also no "natural" filtration for our tanks. Its also a misconception that "natural" = better. This is a common fallacy not just in reefing.

And that's why 'natural' should always be in quotation marks :)

OP
OP
Clowny1221

Clowny1221

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The short answer is yes, it is certainly possible to have a 'natural' no mechanical/chemical filtration reef aquarium. I've been keeping such outwardly 'simplistic' systems for a long time and still have a small nano that I started 14 years ago after downsizing from a 55g (click on my tank build link at the bottom of the page or hop over to Nano-reef to get the full blown 100 page version).

Lighting:

For small nanos people use lighting that contributes as little heat as possible to the tank. This would be LED arrays and contributes to why they are on virtually every small nano in the world. I made my own many years back so that I could custom tailor it to my tastes (old school 'bright', in my case) and provide a broader spectrum than what was being sold in the market place. If you search carefully, you can find good commercial units that can provide not only enough of the blue spectra (violet to cyan) that corals need, but also have a good amount of white light in order to mimic more shallow reef areas.
Thank you for the clarification, and yes quotations are important in terms of the idea of “natural” tanks. :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%

Back