OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My powder blue is horrible to all my other tangs. He’s a nightmare.
I have not had much luck with powder blue past quarantine (just not the healthiest fish imo) so I dont really have much experience with them. Though I still would love to have them some day

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on where you live I guess. We get maculiceps Tangs out here in Los Angeles almost as frequently as we get blonde nasos haha
I am constantly keeping an eye out for online vendors. They are definitely far in between here in the Midwest

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it looks like So-far Purple Tang is winning the nastiest tang award, with sohal and clown tied for second. If you have any other opinion on the nastiest tang aggression please vote!

CrazyCatLady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My damsel will beat up your tang!

In all seriousness though I had a right nasty Kole that would even swipe at me when I was in the tank. Seemed to only go after things that w
Legit! We had a lemon damsel in our 180 that terrorized the entire tank. Ended up tearing the whole thing apart to catch the little booger. Now the kole is the dictator in that tank.

"You have 180 gallons and lots of rock work to play in. WHY CAN'T YOU ALL JUST GET ALONG?!" is a question I find myself asking my 180 inhabitants on a regular basis. :D Although the fact that I talk to and try to reason with my fish may be cause to question my sanity....

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sohal is by far my nightmare fish although clown tang is not much better. Both were evicted !
Now I have a beautiful purple and got it with an issue. I nursed it to A-1 health and now it's the Devil's sister !!!

Young@Heart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In an Ironic twist of fate after my Blond Naso (Fishlips) bullied my Yellow Tang to Death. Flishlips, went missing a couple weeks later (No body was ever recovered) so all that is left is my Blue Hippo Tang (and she is to skittish for anything).

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew tangs fought among themselves, had no idea they sometimes wiped out tanks...
The very most beautiful tangs seem to be the meanest. Figures.

DJMCB35

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 2 Yellows, a Blonde Naso (Ric Flair), and a Brstletooth (Louis Lipps). One of the Yellows tries to bully his partner but is a bit of a poser, not going beyond a little chasing. At one point I did have 3 Yellows and I think the dick-ish one stressed him to death. Now they normally all just get along and hang together.

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vlamingi tang, they cut me up plenty of times while diving to do tank maintenance. Not to mention I think they started off my hair loss much earlier then I was expecting with the amount of grabbing and pulling they would do, IM NOT FOOD! lol

hqn77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple Tang. Easily biggest fish in my tank. Bullies every fish but runs and hide every time someone approaches the tank. Won't even come out to feed if you're standing in front of the tank. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Death Dealers" in my reef tank are my yellow and sailfin tangs.

Current ones refused to allow new fish into tank... it was a sad winter. Acclimation boxes that hang on side meant only new fish could live in that meet & greet corner... new fish didn't understand, beat up, went to QT, healed, re-acclimated, eventually died. Repeat. Repeat. Sailfin and mirror - WOW. If it wasn't so hard on sailfin trying to exterminate its reflection, I'd video. Seriously scary.

Got a large SHU OctoAquatics magentic acclimation box that can be moved into different "territories" within my 180g. I credit this acclimation box in being able to return my yellow back to display tank. It didn't do well with Reef Flux and had to 'vacation' (3 week spring break?!) in QT while tank treated for bryopsis.

Pleased to report both my Death Dealers still healthy, happy and at least tolerate each other. Hoping this continues as they continue to grow in size (and aggression <sigh>)

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Death Dealers" in my reef tank are my yellow and sailfin tangs.

Current ones refused to allow new fish into tank... it was a sad winter. Acclimation boxes that hang on side meant only new fish could live in that meet & greet corner... new fish didn't understand, beat up, went to QT, healed, re-acclimated, eventually died. Repeat. Repeat. Sailfin and mirror - WOW. If it wasn't so hard on sailfin trying to exterminate its reflection, I'd video. Seriously scary.

Got a large SHU OctoAquatics magentic acclimation box that can be moved into different "territories" within my 180g. I credit this acclimation box in being able to return my yellow back to display tank. It didn't do well with Reef Flux and had to 'vacation' (3 week spring break?!) in QT while tank treated for bryopsis.

Pleased to report both my Death Dealers still healthy, happy and at least tolerate each other. Hoping this continues as they continue to grow in size (and aggression <sigh>)
Not voting here because there is sticky thread on tang aggression ranking

My personal experience is just these two tangs, so I can't accurately rate based on this small species sample and would skew results

BaysEndReef

Anthony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My powder blue is the baddest boy on the block!!!! That dude runs the show!! Between him and the two yellow-tail damsels I have in my main display, I can barely do any maintenance!! The damsels will attack anything, and I do mean ANYTHING!!! NO FEAR!!! I, for sure, know what is not going in my next tank!!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it looks like So-far Purple Tang is winning the nastiest tang award, with sohal and clown tied for second. If you have any other opinion on the nastiest tang aggression please vote!
Many more people have purple than either sohal or clown, so if you could normalize the data .....

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sohal is by far my nightmare fish although clown tang is not much better. Both were evicted !
Now I have a beautiful purple and got it with an issue. I nursed it to A-1 health and now it's the Devil's sister !!!
That's insane especially how big your tank is too!!?? How'd did hell break loose? What were they doing that made you have to take them out??

Personally have never kept a Sohal but all the horror stories, I'll never get one. For me, it would be my Achilles and Purple Tang. My smaller Convict tang who is a complete Pig...has literally killed 2 fish. He bullied a bigger copperband butterfly to death. He then months later murdered my double saddle butterflyfish... basically forced him into a corner and constantly went at him leaving a big open scar. I felt bad thinking it could defend itself but it didn't last much long after that.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back