The most overrated & underrated coral in the hobby?

BE HONEST: How much does what others say about coral factor in to what corals you keep?

• Big factor

Votes: 45 5.6%
  • Somewhat

Votes: 181 22.7%
  • A Little

Votes: 266 33.3%
  • None at all

Votes: 300 37.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 0.9%

• Total voters

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think sps is overrated or you can’t afford to buy it. Just say. But don’t call the most beautiful creatures in saltwater “boring”. It’s ridiculous
OK, you're right, boring may be extreme. I just prefer the bi-color hammers swaying in the current. And its hard to beat the coloration of RBTAs under kessils

1589430535214.png

Ninja808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% agree. Corals really should be shown in MH, t5 or at least natural-looking led. A yellow coris wrasse should pose with these frags and if it doesn’t look like a swimming banana, then we know something is up.
LOL! I'm with you on that!

LA Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Most overrated- jfox homewrecker...
Most underrated- by pure coincidence a fox coral

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep what I like which encompasses several species others see almost as pests.
For example, I like Pocillopora and absolutely don't mind them spreading throughout my tank(s).
I also like encrusting and plating Porites, a genus not much represented in the hobby. And they are hardier than pretty much any other coral. I had several coming back from what looked like dead rock and after spending several months in an unlit holding tank.

I will say that for me, Galaxea are super underrated. They have great color, they grow fairly quickly, they're interesting to watch and they're hardy provided you have light and flow.

What I don't like about Galaxea is that they are quite aggressive and kill any other coral in their reach.

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am like everyone else ,, I buy what I like ,, I look to see what others say when it comes to if the coral will play nice with other corals in my tank ,,

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Flower Anemones, Duncan’s and Elegance Corals - dislike anemones that are going to take over the tank - don’t really like them when they are small tbh.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted 'other' because the answer depends. Have I ever had 'bright shiny object syndrome' over a coral …. yes, but only occasionally. I do, however, always consider what credible reefers have to say about the husbandry and relative ease of a particular coral that I may have limited experience with.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% agree. Corals really should be shown in MH, t5 or at least natural-looking led. A yellow coris wrasse should pose with these frags and if it doesn’t look like a swimming banana, then we know something is up.
Yeah - I love frag pictures with *bright blue* occelaris clowns in the background.

Jax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overrates: high end clove polyps
Underrated: a nice quality cabbage leather or long polyp green toadstool
I love my neon green toadstool. I paid $10 for it, grew it out over time.. even next to my gold torch and other pricier corals, I still think I get more enjoyment watching that toadstool than anything else. Underrated!!

Robert Ranciato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The most overrated & underrated coral in the hobby?

Today let's talk about coral. But not just any coral. Let's talk about the most OVERRATED and UNDERRATED corals in the saltwater reefing hobby!

Sometimes we buy coral because other people tell us that in order to have an awesome reef you have to have it. Sometimes we don't buy coral because someone tells us that it's a weed or it's a coral that no one wants. Sometimes both are true and sometimes both are false! HA! Really the decision is up to you and should really be based on what you like, what your vision for your reef is, and what can be healthy in your tank. So with that being said let's talk about these overrated and underrated corals.

1. What do you think the most OVERRATED coral is?

2. What do you think the most UNDERRATED coral is?

overrated corals.jpg
Anything from wwc or top shelf is overrated and definitely overpriced

MoreReefPlease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep what I like which encompasses several species others see almost as pests.
For example, I like Pocillopora and absolutely don't mind them spreading throughout my tank(s).
I also like encrusting and plating Porites, a genus not much represented in the hobby. And they are hardier than pretty much any other coral. I had several coming back from what looked like dead rock and after spending several months in an unlit holding tank.

What I don't like about Galaxea is that they are quite aggressive and kill any other coral in their reach.
Lol, that is quite true. I give them their own little rock to inhabit, haha.

Hallzers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overrated: Corals that require more work to keep, which people assume must be better because more skill is required to keep them alive, regardless of their beauty.

Underrated: Corals that require less work to keep, which people label as "beginner corals," automatically stigmatizing them.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overrated: Corals that require more work to keep, which people assume must be better because more skill is required to keep them alive, regardless of their beauty.

Underrated: Corals that require less work to keep, which people label as "beginner corals," automatically stigmatizing them.
I like low maintenance corals. That way I can concentrate more on my fish. After all, corals are - at least to me - just living decoration to make the fish feel more at home...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back