bsn_rn_cen

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20190916_204554.jpg

The pistol shrimp got the last laugh. It is buried under the sexy shrimp.

OP
OP
bsn_rn_cen

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty critical of it. It isn't nearly as nice as those I read about on here. It's also due for a good scrub down with Agent Orange but here you go.
20190917_210424.jpg
20190917_210451.jpg

It looks a little bare too. I cant wait for my bta to grow up and fill some of that space in. I also cant wait for reefapalooza next month in Chicago. I'm hoping to bring home some new rfa.

greezeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty critical of it. It isn't nearly as nice as those I read about on here. It's also due for a good scrub down with Agent Orange but here you go.
20190917_210424.jpg
20190917_210451.jpg

It looks a little bare too. I cant wait for my bta to grow up and fill some of that space in. I also cant wait for reefapalooza next month in Chicago. I'm hoping to bring home some new rfa.

Looking good! I am in the same spot...waiting for stuff to grow out. I am still considering making the trip to Chicago....it might be a bad idea. ;Nailbiting

OP
OP
bsn_rn_cen

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! I am in the same spot...waiting for stuff to grow out. I am still considering making the trip to Chicago....it might be a bad idea. ;Nailbiting
I feel you, maybe I should bring my wife to keep me from spending to much ;)

OP
OP
bsn_rn_cen

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a bit since I have posted. Other than some more coraline on the back wall the tank has been plugging along. Tonight when I was watching the tank I noticed some bright orange in the mouth of a green and red rfa and am wondering if I'll have babies soon. You all know how crappy my pictures are and this one is no different but what do you think?
20191018_203841.jpg

OP
OP
bsn_rn_cen

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to reefapalooza on Sunday. I have never been to a show, and wow. I cant wait until the next. It was so much fun, though it was a bit of an overload. I had a goal of finding something cool for my office tank and ended up not buying anything for it. I did however pick up some goodies. First a giant thanks to @joshporksandwic . I follow his thread and he posted pictures of these awesome coral travel containers from another show. When he posted that he was coming to the Chicago show I asked if he could bring me one. A few weeks ago he messaged me asking when I would be there because he was holding it and people were asking to buy it. I didn't realize aquashella was going on... I felt bad and told him I thought he was talking about reefapalooza, well he held it for me and I am glad he did. It is freaking awesome. The container came with 11 frags and I could pick any of the others for the 12th. I let my son pick the 12th and he must have liked that because he pulled my son to the side and let him pick 2 of his posters. They are pretty cool and I may have to steal one for my office. Thanks Josh.
20191021_165131.jpg

Next a huge shout out to reef2reef. The booth was awesome and I loved seeing how busy it was. I wish I could have talked more but I felt guilty taking time away from others. Shout out to @revhtree for asking my son if he cleaned the tank (more on this later) and @Crabs McJones for telling him he needs a build thread (more to come on this as well). While my son was disappointed he didnt win the $2500 from BRS so he could buy a jellyfish tank he was soon distracted when his number was called out for a coral frenzy gift pack. Thanks @REEF2REEF and @Coral Frenzy. I used it last night :D.

While browsing booths my son came across a tank with clams. The vendor (sorry I cant remember his name) waved his hand over the clams and they closed. My son was sold, me not so much. My first tank recently crashed and I lost everything but a leather and a couple zoas. I guess you could say I am super gun shy right now. After telling the vendor I was worried I would kill it he said no worries to come back next year and tell him we talked about me killing a clam. He admitted he probably wouldn't remember but would make me a deal. We went on our way and my son continued to talk about them. While we were waiting for the raffle to start he asked to go see them again. He is a fierce negotiator. The vendor could see my will starting to bend and told my son if we get the clam he can pick any frag in his tank. He had some nice stuff and that pushed me over the edge. I have to admit I am glad he convinced me. It is super cool and adds a new dynamic to the tank.
20191020_230633.jpg

Even better, my wife loves it. Between the clam and going to reefapalooza she is starting to show some intrest in reefing which has to be a good thing when I decided to attend another live sale. So back to this free frag. Out of everything in the tank my son was dead set on the ugliest frag of xenia I've ever seen. I tried very hard to talk him into something better partially because the vendor had some good stuff and mostly because of the horror stories I've read about them here... to make matters worse when I got home I noticed a giant aiptasia between the rock and the plug. I had the one aiptasia when I started the rebuild and boiling water took care of it. I was half tempted to throw the plug out but I didn't. Before dipping I blasted the little bugger with boiling water until it fell off then once more for good measure. I dipped in coral rx and bayer. I was happy to see it looking pretty puny the next morning and hoped it wouldn't make it... of course it is perking up today...
Since this is an anemone tank (the frags from Josh are just in here until I feel safe moving them to my first tank) I couldn't leave without a few. I picked up a couple rfa that are different than the ones I have and let my wife and son pick one.
20191020_224632.jpg

20191020_224428.jpg

I know you cant tell from my high quality picture but I really like this one. It is super yellow in person. Unfortunately it has done like all of my favorite rfas do and moved into a crack in the rock out of view. . I also picked up a rainbow bta. I know mixing differnet types of bta can sometimes cause some problems but I've also read where it works. This one was different than the ones I've seen. Again hard to tell with my camera skills but it has a really pretty pink color to it. I set it front in center on the rock it was attached to.
20191020_230541.jpg
When I woke up it moved to the back on the opposite side of the black widow. Maybe next time I will start it in the back and it will settle where I can enjoy it. So far they seem to not be bothering each other so fingers crossed.
20191022_161809.jpg

Wow this post is getting lengthy so I'll make the end short and sweet. We won a JBJ desktop aio during the raffle. My son asked if it could be his which I of course was excited to say yes too. He asked if he will get to clean it himself (who wouldn't like help with this) so thank you Rev for putting that idea in his head. Last night was so fun helping him set it up. He cant decide on fish yet but he for sure wants a starfish and his xenia (thank you thank you thank you for not having to figure out that problem in my tank). As we were walking out @Crabs McJones told him he will be watching for his build thread so I took some pictures as we set it up and will get to work on that. Thanks for reading.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back