The official macro algae eye candy thread

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
DSC03234.JPG
The little wave from the Halimedia :pleading-face: :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: :star-struck:

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's a pest Algae but if it had a slower growth rate and wasn't as invasive, Cotton Candy Algae would definitely be one of the prettiest Macros for sure. It already is one of the prettiest Algae imo

I'm actually in the process of trading a big clump with Krista Pec and she's sending something my way too. Can't wait to see what it is since she has some show stoppers and rare species

DSC03201.JPG

DSC03194.JPG

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First picture is 25 year old 75G Jaubert Plenum.

Second picture is my 7 month 120G new build.

Third picture are two 55G macro growout tanks.

Fourth picture is 55G macro tumble culture.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

This is so great. I started my reefing back in 1996 with a 75g in wall tank, backed up to a third bedroom which became the ''reef room''. The second tank was a 200g mainly a fish tank, but it ended up with a lot of softies and clams. We had around 20 fish and the nitrate's was from 30-50ppm.

After Mr. Jaubert gave a seminar at a store in Omaha Ne. I decided to try his ''Plenum'' system. We moved the fish to two 75g holding tanks. I used 6" round PVC that I cut 4" tall and used silicone glue them down about every 10". Then used the white lighting panels, then window screen to cover the entire tank and silicone to seal all around the tank. When finished, I added one fish every two weeks that were quarantine for two months. We had over 30 fish, small to very large. Our favorite fish was a Clown Trigger that grew to 12'' and a Horn Cowfish that was also 12", so we fed the tank a lot. We added a fish back into the 200g every week using all the water from the 75g and the bioballs.

After a month, the nitrates held steady around 10ppm to15ppm for 8 years and fed the fish s lot. AMAZING SYSTER Mr. Jaubert ! I built a shallow 2' x 6' x 20" tall glass tank for our clams a few small fish and many sand shifting crabs, snails and two orange spot gobbies. This tank never got over 2-5ppm and again, we fed them a lot. We retired reefing in 2005 as I built a 1966 Ford 427 Shelby Cobra and started racing dirt, winged sprint cars. We retired sprint racing, so I'm now thinking about building a 125g in wall reef where the first in wall tank was, so I might make it another Jaubert system.

I don't want to take over this thread, I just got excited when you mentioned his system, as I haven't seen anybody talking about this filtration for a long time.
Do, thank you !

Last edited:

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out this blue hypnea that I've been growing under my Reefbreeders Photons. This patch started growing up towards the surface directly under the lights and they've colored up super nicely (and have held these colors for months now).
DSC07708.jpg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so great. I started my reefing back in 1996 with a 75g in wall tank, backed up to a third bedroom which became the ''reef room''. The second tank was a 200g mainly a fish tank, but it ended up with a lot of softies and clams. We had around 20 fish and the nitrate's was from 30-50ppm.

After Mr. Jaubert gave a seminar at a store in Omaha Ne. I decided to try his ''Plenum'' system. We moved the fish to two 75g holding tanks. I used 6" round PVC that I cut 4" tall and used silicone glue them down about every 10". Then used the white lighting panels, then window screen to cover the entire tank and silicone to seal all around the tank. When finished, I added one fish every two weeks that were quarantine for two months. We had over 30 fish, small to very large. Our favorite fish was a Clown Trigger that grew to 12'' and a Horn Cowfish that was also 12", so we fed the tank a lot. We added a fish back into the 200g every week using all the water from the 75g and the bioballs.

After a month, the nitrates held steady around 10ppm to15ppm for 8 years and fed the fish s lot. AMAZING SYSTER Mr. Jaubert ! I built a shallow 2' x 6' x 20" tall glass tank for our clams a few small fish and many sand shifting crabs, snails and two orange spot gobbies. This tank never got over 2-5ppm and again, we fed them a lot. We retired reefing in 2005 as I built a 1966 Ford 427 Shelby Cobra and started racing dirt, winged sprint cars. We retired sprint racing, so I'm now thinking about building a 125g in wall reef where the first in wall tank was, so I might make it another Jaubert system.

I don't want to take over this thread, I just got excited when you mentioned his system, as I haven't seen anybody talking about this filtration for a long time.
Do, thank you !
@427HISS
After 50 years of Reefing both @Paul B and I run reverse flow undergravel filters with 2“- 4” of substrate. I did operate a Jaubert plenum for 20 years. The science of the Jaubert plenum was to provide a low oxygen enviroment using a deep sand bed and reduce nitrate by forcing oxidation bacteria to reduce the NO4 (nitrate) molecule into H20 (water) and N2 (gas). Bob Goemans introduced the Monoco aquarium with its Jaubert plenum to American reefers with the term NNR, natural nitrate reduction.

In my mature systems, I feed heavy yet still dose ammonia as a nitrogen source. I have no need for NNR.

tcarstens4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is amazing!
Is anyone running two displays with macro in one and reef in another using the same sump?
We are! I’ll have to take some photos and add them to the thread when I’m back home, we have a display reef upstairs with a remote sump with a display refugium all on the same sump

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going for my morning walk on the beach and when I see some cool looking algae on the sand at low tide, I bring it home and throw it in my tank. Sometimes they eat it, sometimes it lives a few months, and sometimes it turns to snot. :grinning-squinting-face:
My Grand Daughter just likes to save horse shoe crabs.

Codium seaweed. Very common here.

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the new Macros I got from Krista Pec in a trade, Solieria sp. I believe the trade name is Red Bamboo Macro, it's a lovely shade of Pink but I think it gets darker as it grows.
DSC03486.JPG

DSC03505.JPG

Macrochick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some really amazing tanks and species going on in this thread. Unfortunately, it looks like most of the members who have posted have not been active on R2R for quite some time.

Any updates from @Macrochick or @lbacha ?

Also, for those interested, below is a link to one of the most beautiful macro setups I've seen. If you dig macro, check it out. You won't be disappointed.

Also, at the end of the thread above, the OP has a link to his most recent build. For sake of simplicity, below is the link.

Definitely worth a look!
Hi I'm still here !

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back