The real Black Box light study

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize some people do that but im talking from real life experience here. Physically seeing a coral or bta under lets say a radion and then seeing the the exact coral or bta under my lights not but 2 hours later and the “pop” is not there.

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reason they are getting color pop is because most of them use barely any whites. They run blues with very little white. Then they use filters to take pics to show color pop. If you saw them in real life, these colors would look quite different to what you see in the pictures.
Here is an example first picture is an acid wash bta under kessil second is the same bta under my viparspectras. Taken with the same camera. I also played with my lights settings to get the best color i could.
EA730502-72CE-4E0B-ABAD-FE5D46AFA77E.jpeg
1BC2F526-E841-4EA0-AD28-01FD8B9B635E.jpeg
This last photo is all blue no white light under the viparspectra.
1E4FE6AC-14D0-4F6F-9474-1C24B272CC1F.jpeg

I wish it was just cameras and filters. But unfortunately that is so not the truth.

Nep2nRevision3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very late to the game but catching up quick. Thank you @Manose for putting this together.

I've spent the past 2-3 days (on and off) reading this thread from start to here. I'd like to express my great appreciation to the OP and those that have assisted in this research for their investment in time and money. I would further say that I can see why one would become discouraged when confronted with so many that seek to negatively impact the study. Understanding the limitations of time and budget, and the curve balls life can throw at us, I find the information so far posted to be very useful. For comparison purposes (my understanding of the purpose of the research) I'd say the information provides great insight.

Confession, I run (3) Kessil AP700s over a tank that is 4' x 3' x 31" deep. I am very successful at growing acropora at depths of 22" with lights 15" above the tank, as well as less light demanding sps and lps corals at multiple depths. That by no means causes me to disregard the information being assembled here. As a matter of fact, I'm in the process of setting up a new frag tank (ZooMed 4' x 2' x 10" as fate would have it) and am looking for an alternative to the Kessils strictly on the basis of cost. The information you are compiling is EXACTLY what I set out to find. I have yet to make a decision as to what I will purchase, I have time on my side. I look forward to seeing your latest data and can say definitively that my frag tank lighting will be influenced by the information you provide. Thanks again.

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very late to the game but catching up quick. Thank you @Manose for putting this together.

I've spent the past 2-3 days (on and off) reading this thread from start to here. I'd like to express my great appreciation to the OP and those that have assisted in this research for their investment in time and money. I would further say that I can see why one would become discouraged when confronted with so many that seek to negatively impact the study. Understanding the limitations of time and budget, and the curve balls life can throw at us, I find the information so far posted to be very useful. For comparison purposes (my understanding of the purpose of the research) I'd say the information provides great insight.

Confession, I run (3) Kessil AP700s over a tank that is 4' x 3' x 31" deep. I am very successful at growing acropora at depths of 22" with lights 15" above the tank, as well as less light demanding sps and lps corals at multiple depths. That by no means causes me to disregard the information being assembled here. As a matter of fact, I'm in the process of setting up a new frag tank (ZooMed 4' x 2' x 10" as fate would have it) and am looking for an alternative to the Kessils strictly on the basis of cost. The information you are compiling is EXACTLY what I set out to find. I have yet to make a decision as to what I will purchase, I have time on my side. I look forward to seeing your latest data and can say definitively that my frag tank lighting will be influenced by the information you provide. Thanks again.
Thank you, and I can honestly say that at 10in depth you have so many choices even old VHO would light that. If it were me I would get something that offers the most versatility as any light mentioned in this thread will light that tank easily.
I look forward in seeing what light you choose.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, and I can honestly say that at 10in depth you have so many choices even old VHO would light that. If it were me I would get something that offers the most versatility as any light mentioned in this thread will light that tank easily.

Always offering sound input! (I love the mention of the "old school" VHO!)

Nep2nRevision3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

True enough from the standpoint of par. But coverage/uniformity, spectrum, control and overall construction quality are things that are being addressed/discussed. All factors that I'm weighing and all things that ultimately determine the long term cost of the light. I'm not a DIY person so I'm looking for a turn key, out of the box ready to rock product. WiFi isn't important to me, would just as soon program right on the fixture. All things you're addressing that make this thread invaluable to me. Bring on the Pixie 150s, very interested in seeing their results.

Always offering sound input! (I love the mention of the "old school" VHO!)

I know right! Used to run T-12 VHO with URI bulbs over my 125 Allglass with my airstone counter current skimmer in the sump. lol....old school....;Facepalm

TinyTinCans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I’m new to R2R as I have been out of the hobby for over fives years due to a lot of moving around. After two moves life looks like it will settle down. So I’ve started to gather components for my new build. My last/first tank was up for a little over two yrs the first six months I ran T5s and had good growth I was a water Changing machine and believe it or not loved it. After six months I was having a hard time keeping my tank cooled (I live in New Mexico.... it’s hot) so I switched to some “Black Box’s” mine where white though.) Back then no timer or dimmer models where available but my T5 fixture did not have that option either so who cares. During that time my tank exploded with growth.

Anyway long story short I am grateful for this post. A lot has changed in the last few years and notably a lot is still the same. My new tank is 48L 24W 30H I REALLY REALLY appreciated this light study BRS seems to focus on the top half of the tank which is fine and dandy but I’m more interested in the bottom and deeper depth because if it can deliver light deeper it will for-sure provide ample light higher in the tank. I was dead set on the AI Hydras but the more I looked into them the more I was uncertain of their ability to deliver the light deeper into the tank.

Here is MY bottom Line on lights is if it can grow SPS 20” down then it is the light for me. I don’t care if it from China or from California undoubtedly there are cheep black box’s and there are some that are definitely quality products.( My TV is from China and its LED and I bet yours is too but nobody is bagging on cheep TVs from China). the hard thing is shifting through all the muck to find the quality Light US made or otherwise and I feel like this post attempted to accomplish this task. I for one am sad that more lights where not tested. Especially after reading 47 pages. Either way THANK YOU!!! I have narrowed my light selection down to zetlights Qmaven and the K7 unfortunately the controller might be the deal closer for me on the K7. Good luck with any further testing.

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Manose

Hey i dont know who to ask but am needing some advice. I want to have new licenses plates made for my viparspectra’s. I want to have 4 or 5 different channels in each one and want to be able to have spots for cree leds.
So i was wondering if you could recommend drivers for the job?

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Manose

Hey i dont know who to ask but am needing some advice. I want to have new licenses plates made for my viparspectra’s. I want to have 4 or 5 different channels in each one and want to be able to have spots for cree leds.
So i was wondering if you could recommend drivers for the job?

I would post this in DIY section or Lighting. Odds are that it will get more exposure, and views from folks who modded VS lights.

Nep2nRevision3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
....nudge, nudge....

Can I inquire as to the whether or not this thread/study is still ongoing? From what I can gather @Manose and @dantimdad were looking to collaborate and continue to test and post results for more lights. Not wanting to seem pushy, just curious if any further testing results will be posted? (Not my time or money, I'm purely the beneficiary.) Again, very interested in seeing what the Pixies do. LOOKS like a well constructed light, wondering what the output readings are.

I hope you guys keep it up. I think this is actually becoming more and more relevant as the list of competitors grows.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tests will continue. I just acquired a 60 cube that needs some work.

We are working on the noopsycheusa.com website and planning for MACNA.

The whole point in this is to be honest and unbiased so before anyone pointed it out, I will let you know that I am the official rep and distributor for the U.S.

This will in NO WAY change the outcome of the testing once it resumes. @Dana Riddle has already tested these lights. His results are publicly viewable so we can't fudge the numbers.

I will update as soon as I am back at it.

I also have received a light to test from someone so I will be ready as soon as the tank is. :)

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
....nudge, nudge....

Can I inquire as to the whether or not this thread/study is still ongoing? From what I can gather @Manose and @dantimdad were looking to collaborate and continue to test and post results for more lights. Not wanting to seem pushy, just curious if any further testing results will be posted? (Not my time or money, I'm purely the beneficiary.) Again, very interested in seeing what the Pixies do. LOOKS like a well constructed light, wondering what the output readings are.

I hope you guys keep it up. I think this is actually becoming more and more relevant as the list of competitors grows.

While I know the answer to your question I will let the honorable members mentioned in your post reply.

However, I would like to let you know that the Pixies do alternative rock music! (Couldn't stop myself) :D

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tests will continue. I just acquired a 60 cube that needs some work.

We are working on the noopsycheusa.com website and planning for MACNA.

The whole point in this is to be honest and unbiased so before anyone pointed it out, I will let you know that I am the official rep and distributor for the U.S.

This will in NO WAY change the outcome of the testing once it resumes. @Dana Riddle has already tested these lights. His results are publicly viewable so we can't fudge the numbers.

I will update as soon as I am back at it.

I also have received a light to test from someone so I will be ready as soon as the tank is. :)

I want to see some up close coral pictures under the noop lights. Some of the more exotic ones. Also some pictures of rainbow btas would be nice as well.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to logistics and other issues I will no longer be doing any further testing or work in this thread. Testing will be in good hands with @dantimdad.
Thank you to all that supported my tests, and I hope it helped many of you get more information on some lower cost lighting.
Thanks,
Matt

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.3%
Back