The real Black Box light study

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think people come here and should expect one thing, and that is numbers and data on different lights.
So lets do this and do it correctly!
After considering all the options I think the best way to proceed would be getting another person involved to help.
I want to have @dantimdad help get this study back where it should be by looking at various lights all over the world and study them for quality,par,spectrum and overall performance.
@dantimdad could do a light one week and post his results here and I do one the next. Then we can take that data and put it on the front page with links.
I have 2 lights that I really want to test first and foremost:
The spectra- I found it here=https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/New-Design-Timer-Dimmer-Moonlight-Marine_60856191285.html
I have had these up and running once but no data yet
spectra1.jpg
spectra2.jpg
spectra3.jpg
spectra5.jpg
spectra6.jpg

Next is the Pixie 150=I have had this light for awhile and it needs a full test and review
I bought this light here for 239ea. plus shipping=https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/LuminiAqua-Hot-selling-150W-led-aquarium_60489185694.html
pixie150.jpg
pixie150A.jpg
pixie150b.jpg
pixie150c.jpg
pixie150d.jpg
pixie150e.jpg

I've said this before and I'll keep saying it, many kudos to you for the time, effort, money and self-sacrifice in doing this study!

Now, to address the new and real elephant in the room; I realize you're not necessarily looking for funds but, if you are serious about working with @dantimdad , I'll happily start a GoFundMe account for the bills you'll be racking up for upcoming psychiatric care!

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've said this before and I'll keep saying it, many kudos to you for the time, effort, money and self-sacrifice in doing this study!

Now, to address the new and real elephant in the room; I realize you're not necessarily looking for funds but, if you are serious about working with @dantimdad , I'll happily start a GoFundMe account for the bills you'll be racking up for upcoming psychiatric care!
LOL!!

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really appreciate the time and effort that you have put into this study. Thanks!

now get cracking on the Spectra :)
I must say this little light seems like it is going to be nice. The App is awesome once I figured out how to connect it to the light. Here are some pic I took on page 37:
Testing another light with a cool little app. I should have some numbers tonight or tomorrow but here are some pics................
spectra2.jpg

spectra3.jpg

spectra1.jpg

homepage.jpg lightning.jpg manualmode.jpg timer.jpg update.jpg cloudy.jpg

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must say this little light seems like it is going to be nice. The App is awesome once I figured out how to connect it to the light. Here are some pic I took on page 37:
Excellent! Looks promising. Thanks

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed in passing these pages you have 407 posts and only 76 likes....there is this book called how to win friends and influence people...you should pick up copy and read it. Have a great day!;Blackeye

Hello,

Isn’t there a movie that’s called how to lose friends and alienate people? I thought it was based on this book by an ex employee who worked for a fashion magazine.

Demonic

Love Change
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That light is probably the coolest on I have seen yet. Did you snag that one at Alibaba? I might give it a try. I love the Noopsyches you recommended by the way. I did order an Orphek and an AI Prime as well to give them a shot

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That light is probably the coolest on I have seen yet. Did you snag that one at Alibaba? I might give it a try. I love the Noopsyches you recommended by the way. I did order an Orphek and an AI Prime as well to give them a shot
Yes I got it from Alibaba pretty cheap. Took me awhile to get the app going but once I figured it out is was awesome to use.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is a question about this study: After we have concluded the stock testing, would the next logical step be to mod a light in different ways to see which mods are improvements and which aren't? And, when it is an improvement, is it worth it? Finally, given the cost of the mods, should you skip them and just buy something more expensive?

I have 2 black boxes. One is still stock. the other is only modded by removing most lenses, upgrading the fans and adding moonlights.

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is a question about this study: After we have concluded the stock testing, would the next logical step be to mod a light in different ways to see which mods are improvements and which aren't? And, when it is an improvement, is it worth it? Finally, given the cost of the mods, should you skip them and just buy something more expensive?

I have 2 black boxes. One is still stock. the other is only modded by removing most lenses, upgrading the fans and adding moonlights.

I like that idea, as if there is a way to make some of these lights even better for cheap, it would be great to know. Do you think there are any possible mods to NP lights that would improve them even further? I think you were working on defuser for them, but not sure if anything came out of that.

Demonic

Love Change
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that idea, as if there is a way to make some of these lights even better for cheap, it would be great to know. Do you think there are any possible mods to NP lights that would improve them even further? I think you were working on defuser for them, but not sure if anything came out of that.

Put them in an Aquatic Life fixture and add LED bars accordingly to reach the desired PAR.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finished the diffuser but removed the light to test other options.

I worked very well for my purposes. Absolutely no disco effect, smooth color, still some shimmer I lost about 12% which didn't matter because, at the time I was only running 60% blue and 10% (minimum setting) whites.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 114 77.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 7.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back