OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is a question about this study: After we have concluded the stock testing, would the next logical step be to mod a light in different ways to see which mods are improvements and which aren't? And, when it is an improvement, is it worth it? Finally, given the cost of the mods, should you skip them and just buy something more expensive?

I have 2 black boxes. One is still stock. the other is only modded by removing most lenses, upgrading the fans and adding moonlights.
I say study each light on it's own merits and if mods would help the lights substantially then we should pursue that. Cost versus how much a modification will help is many peoples number one concern.

Do you remember what it was called?
this is where I bought them : https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Hot-Sale-Programmable-Wifi-Control-Saltwater_60855882422.html

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a Noopsyche light on a display at my LFS Bob's Tropical Fish in Augusta, GA yesterday. Thank you @Manose for the work you did in helping to bring this light to market.
That is why I started this study, to find lights that would grow coral well and give us more options than the big three.

asting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a black box on my old 20L and am planning 3 for my 175 (60"x30" Wx24" deep).

Any issue with that? I pulled lenses and am adding heatsinks to the new cheap ones that didnt have them.

I do have a fourth but due to the braces I dont think it would work great. This fourth might be my coral QT

Planning on an aluminum frame to have then stick a few inches out over the hood, maybe 5-6" off water.
ArR2tin.jpg

dz6t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Say what you want about between the lines...
The number one thing I have to ask is do we want to continue to look at other black box lights and give them a fair evaluation or look elsewhere?

I guess that is what many people like to see.

You have done a great job and a lot of hard works on this study. But I can understand that people can have a different feelings due to the fact that you are actually sponsored by a manufacture and the thread was giving people an impression that it was an independent study.

If I were you, I would start this thread and make it clear that there was a company which makes impressive led products with high quality with less cost for this hobby and I wanted to help them to find a distributor in US.

Regardless, I believe many Chinese led manufacturers are making great products that are comparable or surpass many name brands.

Reefing is a expensive hobby and everyone can benefit from saving money with quality products.

asting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swapped the fans out to some arctic f8 standards and although the fans powered on unmounted sounded much, much quieter, once in the fixture the noise level isn't nearly quiet enough. I just ordered a bunch of the f8 silent, but maybe I should have just cut the grill out of the top - that is likely a large contributor to noise.

I also mounted some large 240mm by 80mm heatsinks. This modification probably isn't needed, because at roughly 50% power the aluminum plate wasn't even warm after 6 hours of running. I'm questioning if I drop to 2 fans, or none with the heatsinks.

Mv5Ty6R.jpg

lancesmith1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I guess that is what many people like to see.

You have done a great job and a lot of hard works on this study. But I can understand that people can have a different feelings due to the fact that you are actually sponsored by a manufacture and the thread was giving people an impression that it was an independent study.

If I were you, I would start this thread and make it clear that there was a company which makes impressive led products with high quality with less cost for this hobby and I wanted to help them to find a distributor in US.

Regardless, I believe many Chinese led manufacturers are making great products that are comparable or surpass many name brands.

Thank you. I tried to take this position previously and got flamed for it. FWIW.

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I tried to take this position previously and got flamed for it. FWIW.

No, you came out, guns blazing, attacking the study, questioning OP what he got in return for giving NP lights such good reviews and questioning everything he did. That is why you got response that you did.

And again, OP wasnt sponsored by NP in any way, shape or form. He wasnt paid to give positive reviews. He didnt get them for free, or with any sort of discount. He didnt do this to find a distributor for them. These lights happened to be really good, had very promising results, and thus people were interested in them. OP wasnt the only person that was involved in getting these to US.

I am really not sure why this has to be repeated so many times in same thread, but it has gotten to the point of being annoying now.

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I for one would like to continue to see lights tested. I think it is great the OP helped to get a good inexpensive light into American reefers. Competition is a good thing.

I am still using my viparspectra’s and they are growing coral very well. I went from 2 heads to 6 heads on a purple tip hammer. Has been my fastest grower.

Back where it all began

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does UL listed work? Is it the prototype that is examined by UL? It seems unlikely that all production units could be inspected. If it is only the prototype, can we assume that any manufacturer could alter the product after it was introduced into the market place.

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could anyone provide some comparison shots fo popular corals under the noop lights vs something like a hydra or a radion?

Im having a hard time with my current lights the viparspectras. They are doing fine but i am not getting the color pop that some of the higher dollar lights.

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could anyone provide some comparison shots fo popular corals under the noop lights vs something like a hydra or a radion?

Im having a hard time with my current lights the viparspectras. They are doing fine but i am not getting the color pop that some of the higher dollar lights.
I would ask that question here and you will get more responses: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/noopsyche.1066/

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can I ask how long you have had them and at what settings?

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reason they are getting color pop is because most of them use barely any whites. They run blues with very little white. Then they use filters to take pics to show color pop. If you saw them in real life, these colors would look quite different to what you see in the pictures.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 35 25.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back