The Show "Tanked", I just cant ....

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The show "Tanked" is on. Said it before and Ill say it again ....good lord I just can't watch that show. Absolutely terrible on so many levels.

Stinks too cause any chance I get to look at reef tanks, fish, etc I will gladly take advantage of. ...

...but lord is it bad! [emoji30]

Josett Waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The show "Tanked" is on. Said it before and Ill say it again ....good lord I just can't watch that show. Absolutely terrible on so many levels.

Stinks too cause any chance I get to look at reef tanks, fish, etc I will gladly take advantage of. ...

...but lord is it bad! [emoji30]
Lol! I was just watching it.
What do you not like about the show or disagree with?
I know on there that they put the fish in the tank right away for the show but after they take out all the fish and let it cycle.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm under the impression it's not taking fish back out, they're using skip cycle techniques (live water live sand and aged filter media)

We set up tanks using skip cycle biology all the time, but not with twenty tangs lol. Their mode of instant reefing is quarantine heresy but not cycling heresy it's easy to skip a cycle with 100% accuracy we have a big thread on it.

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't stand all of the themed installs. But you have to admit, their fabrication is on point. And this is just the stuff for TV. They do plenty of non-themed tanks and even reef tanks for plenty of regular Joes.

Josett Waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm under the impression it's not taking fish back out, they're using skip cycle techniques (live water live sand and aged filter media)

We set up tanks using skip cycle biology all the time, but not with twenty tangs lol. Their mode of instant reefing is quarantine heresy but not cycling heresy it's easy to skip a cycle with 100% accuracy we have a big thread on it.
Yeah I'm not quite too sure on how they do it exactly. But my LFS owners met them and they asked them how they do it, I remember them telling us but I forgot. I believe it was along the lines of the instant sand and all but they do take some of the fish out I don't believe it is all of them like I said so I should of worded that better.

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also under the impression that they do an instant cycle. I have done that on all of my reef tanks with amazing success. I do not use live sand, I use dry rock and I use Dr. Tim's One and Only. I have fish and coral in the tank within days!

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to see those tanks a few months down the line, after algae has taken hold. Some of those designs have to be almost impossible to clean. Hate all of the decorative "inserts" that have nothing to do with reefing - like tennis shoes or other products in the corporate tank builds. Reminds me of what a display tank might look like at Pet-Smart.

Last edited:

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have their own line of the instant start products that is what they use. They have quite a few seasons so their antics must be appreciated by enough people. I like them personally and have met them and they are pretty good guys. But I have a horrible sense of humor. lol

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...They do plenty of non-themed tanks and even reef tanks for plenty of regular Joes.

To Toby's point, I actually stayed at a resort last summer that ATM had built a 800 +/- gallon tank for them. The resort elected not to do the TV thing. But I have to say it was a good looking tank, even with the fake coral inserts. It wasn't so "over done" like what is often aired on the show.

Reef_Collector28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do get why people wouldn't like the show, but again it's for entertainment purposes. Say they had two guys talking or showing what really takes to run a tank, equipment, QT, proper cycling, etc. you know how bored a lot of viewers out there would be. At the end of the day it's a television show and they need ratings. They have a target audience and it isn't most people on this forum because we actually like the "boring" (to some) kinda nerdy part of the hobby. Most of the viewers at home would flip the channel as soon as they start talking about what it really takes to run a reef/fowlr tank. As far as fake coral inserts go, a lot of us including me would love to see all those tanks with tons of real corals. The reality is most people that get a tank in the show have it as a piece of furniture or a conversation piece at home or office. They pay someone unlike a lot of us, to take care and clean the tanks. Much easier to take care of fake corals.

711reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually like the show. its amusing. they also carry there own line of bacteria that dramatically speeds up the cycle. I have never used it though so cant comment on how well it works. a few people have commented on wanting to see the tanks later assuming they would be filled with algae. most of the tanks on the show are being done for very wealthy people. atm contracts local maintenance companys to take care of them. do you really think shaq is testing his phosphates to keep nuisance algae down ?

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mind the show, I personally wouldn't want a themed tank. If it creates positive interest in our little niche hobby I'm ok with it.

I personally would much rather watch Miss Saltwater tank (@loumaggs ) videos. She talks about stuff that interests me, and I almost always learn something or get a new perspective on something I have either missed or taken for granted in my microcosm.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They are really nice guys. Well been nice to me and my family. Even made a happy birthday video for my nephew who loves the show.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mind the show, I personally wouldn't want a themed tank. If it creates positive interest in our little niche hobby I'm ok with it.

I personally would much rather watch Miss Saltwater tank (@loumaggs ) videos. She talks about stuff that interests me, and I almost always learn something or get a new perspective on something I have either missed or taken for granted in my microcosm.
Not to mention she's easy on the eyes and I love her accent.

Homestead_Dad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol..just found Miss Saltwater today. I enjoyed her show very much. I am with you guys on the themed tanks. Silly, they do have great craftsmanship though.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
watching that show for the first few seasons is what got me into learning about the hobby. My IM30L has now been up and running for 15 months and I am planning a new, bigger build. Heck, I didn't even know you could have real coral in a tank until 18 months ago. Personally, they got me into the hobby. I don't understand why so many people like to bash them. It'd TV, it's entertainment, and if what they were doing was Soooooo bad, they would not still be doing it, nor would they be as big and successful as they are.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back