The truth about Kleini Butterflyfish?

Is the Blue Head Kleini Butterflyfish a true regional variety and safer than brown/yellow?

• Total voters

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081 is clearly a proponent of Blue Head Kleini Butterflyfish being a safe an effective option for controlling aiptasia in reef tanks. However I can find very little information on what region this variety comes from or whether that is indeed true.
Of course there are many responses to his assertions that they are not safe but even copperbands have their fair share of complaints. Obviously with any fish there is a big difference with a properly fed and quarantined fish added to a tank full of safely considered tankmates so I take all such claims with a grain of salt.
But what is the truth with this fish? Is there truly a blue head variety or is that some sort of juvinille trait and is the blue head really safer than brown/yellow?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@vetteguy53081 is clearly a proponent of Blue Head Kleini Butterflyfish being a safe an effective option for controlling aiptasia in reef tanks. However I can find very little information on what region this variety comes from or whether that is indeed true.
Of course there are many responses to his assertions that they are not safe but even copperbands have their fair share of complaints. Obviously with any fish there is a big difference with a properly fed and quarantined fish added to a tank full of safely considered tankmates so I take all such claims with a grain of salt.
But what is the truth with this fish? Is there truly a blue head variety or is that some sort of juvinille trait and is the blue head really safer than brown/yellow?
They are Indo-pacific and do exist. Here is an example:

Bluehead Butterfly - Chaetodon kleinii - Small​

1 Review

213591_1.jpg
213591_1.jpg

Livestock or Frozen Food

$36.99

Item: 213591

Out of Stock

Quantity

View Item Shipping Restrictions
ADD TO CART
ADD TO WISHLIST
EMAIL ME WHEN ITEM IS BACK IN STOCK
Pinit Share Tweet

Bluehead Butterflies (Cheatodon kleinii) have a white forebody with a vertical black bar across the eye and a golden yellow body with a faint black and white bar behind the pectoral fins. They are named for the faint blue shadow on their foreheads and are also called Sunburst Butterflies or Klein's Butterflies.

OP
OP
S

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not trying to challenge your assertion. I just cannot find a clear indication that the blue shade on the eye is a good indication of which variety is safer. This fish spans across the Indo Pacific into the Red Sea all the way across to the Galapagos. Not that we get any fish from the Galapagos but we do/used to from Hawaii which shares much of the same reputation for being very remote and thus having significant regional variation.
Here are some pictures from across the indo-pacific and it would appear by my eyes that the Bluehead is found in every region. They don't look exactly the same but lighting/photography varies far too much to deduce much else than something like the presence of a color. It could be of course that the Bluehead lives amongst the black/brown but all the pictures without blue are far more on the white side of lighting on very mature fish taken at a angle where even when the blue does show up on much bluer pictures it is far more subued than the bluest of the pictures. I know this is rather subjective and a limited set of photos but this is a hobby and not a science and all I am doing is trying to see if a better variant might truly exist and how to know.

Hawaii/Palau

Australia

Tanzania

So yeah color doesn't do it for me but how about region. Do you happen to know where the fish you have were sourced from? I know it's a longshot as most sellers give a generic region like the Indo Pacific but here are some sources of the actual regions which are being supplied from. I would venture a guess that some also come out of African waters although given its history as a relatively cheap fish I wouldn't think there would be many of these making it to the US but definitely the EU.

Liveaquaria - Hawaii, Indonesia, and Oceania
Petco - Hawaii and Melanesia
Aquarium fish sale - Hawaii

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you end up purchasing a fish and if so where did you get it and what were the results? Thought i nabbed one off FB marketplace today but think he was scammin me, still almost took the risk, this hobby is all about throwing money away so figured worth the investment/loss

ilikefish69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just want to circle back to this post. I've had 2 bluehead kleini in my tank now for over 6 months. Aiptasia was destroyed in a day or two. I haven't seen one since. I moved a rock and there was an aiptasia that was uncovered from doing so, and the next morning that aiptasia was gone. This tells me they are eating it just as fast as it shows up. They eat big ones too, like 2-3" in diameter. ALSO which is huge is they love to eat bryopsis. I had a few spots of bryopsis that were coming back after reef flux treatments, and these butterfly fish are the only thing ive seen eat it. My urchins even zoom right past it but these two will pick at it all day.

Negatives? They have taken bites out of my

1) Duncan , so I sold it for 40 and bought a hammer for 40, ended up loving the hammer coral way more. I experimented and placed a mushroom cage over the duncan that had been closed up for a couple of weeks and it opened in a day or two, so i made the connection the fish were eating it.
2) candy cane coral. only witnessed them one time, and saw a literal chunk get taken, but its been the same size since it's been in the tank. not too worried about it
3) believe it or not, sand sifting starfish. still not sure if they were eating it or cleaning algae off it. asked on facebook and got different opinions, but that toxic environment is full of "experts" who sit by their keyboard and have "TANK TOO YOUNG BRO" to make themselves look cool so I've lost any possibility of getting good advice or information. starfish is still alive, hopefully the goofball just stays in his sand bed

I keep tons of soft corals, anemones, torch, pectinia. Less LPS and a good amount of SPS. They haven't touched any of the 4 different chalice i have, zoas, mushrooms all safe. I have NEVER seen them nip at SPS, I have about 10 different types. I've never had PE from SPS in my tank, it grows, encrusts, makes new branches, and i cut the branches and make new frags that also grow. Never had PE, even before introducting the butterflyfish, and not sure if it's because phosphates float around 0.3-0.4 or if they're opportunistic when they eat the SPS and make sure I am not watching.

I would recommend this fish for aiptasia control to anyone who would ask. Do we not risk our LPS/SPS corals when we introduce flame angel fish or many other types of "reef safe with caution" ? This is a similar risk, but with the added benefit of aiptasia eradication and control.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have added to recommendation based on feedback, I will note that a couple of persons who got the blue had their kleini nip zoa. if so- easy sell, or place in sump as aptasia have likely made it down there already
At least a dozen have stated no issues with them at all.

ilikefish69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, several varietys. I'm not hip and dont bother with fancy names.
that is wild . i dont like the fancy names either but i sure love the fancy colors. if these fish start eating my fancy color zoas they goin in the 55 gallon sump and staying there. if i can ever catch them.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back