OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OK, thanks. Another thing that impacts alk with a high alk mix is how much, if any, calcium carbonate has precipitated and settled out before the measurement. In my case, where I let sometimes IO sit for a long time on its old precipitated solids (which can act as seed crystals for more precipitaiton), I often got much lower alk. One study I did for other purposes showed the alk in the barrel was 7 dKH.

Do you know at what alkalinity level precipitation like that is most likely to occur? Assuming 74° or so and a power head going.

I just kind of say “high alkalinity salt” but I’d guess my definition of high alkalinity is just opinion and I’d say anything over 10dkh falls into that category for me. I just don’t recall seeing many salts under that level having the precipitation issues

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know at what alkalinity level precipitation like that is most likely to occur? Assuming 74° or so and a power head going.

I just kind of say “high alkalinity salt” but I’d guess my definition of high alkalinity is just opinion and I’d say anything over 10dkh falls into that category for me. I just don’t recall seeing many salts under that level having the precipitation issues

The higher it is, the more likely it is. It also depends strongly on pH. A pH difference of 0.3 pH units is similar to a factor of 2 in alk,

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For anyone interested to see how AquaForest’s ICP tests compares to the ATI test I ran, here is the link:

Batch number is 938948. You don’t have to enter any information except that.

One thing to note is the AF ICP uses a different decimal placement on some elements.

If I was savvy enough, I’d put them in a chart showing the differences :p
you should - otherwise its impossible to know your conclusions, recommendations. Not sure why anyone would do it for you? And thats not a snarky answer - it's based on the fact that no one but yourself knows what you sent, did. IMHO - without more information - this is meaningless information

Hypnotize

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should - otherwise its impossible to know your conclusions, recommendations. Not sure why anyone would do it for you? And thats not a snarky answer - it's based on the fact that no one but yourself knows what you sent, did. IMHO - without more information - this is meaningless information
I agree

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For anyone interested to see how AquaForest’s ICP tests compares to the ATI test I ran, here is the link:

Batch number is 938948. You don’t have to enter any information except that.

One thing to note is the AF ICP uses a different decimal placement on some elements.

If I was savvy enough, I’d put them in a chart showing the differences :p
PS your Link is I think in Czech - perhaps another Eastern European language - which I also do not think anyone should have to try to translate

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS your Link is I think in Czech - perhaps another Eastern European language - which I also do not think anyone should have to try to translate

Let me help, click in the upper corner and switch it to English. I had to do that and not sure why it didn’t copy that way. Not difficult to do. I have faith in you.

That was a snarky answer by me BTW. Just giving back to you what you give to so many. Bye Felicia

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Takes two seconds to open the link, go the results, look back to post 1 and see the results from the ATI test

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let me help, click in the upper corner and switch it to English. I had to do that and not sure why it didn’t copy that way. Not difficult to do. I have faith in you.

That was a snarky answer by me BTW. Just giving back to you what you give to so many. Bye Felicia
You're right - it was a snarky answer - and I don't care what the link said. Not everyone has your browser - I don't have any method to click in the upper corner and switch it to English. Based on your prior posts - I'm doubtful it will be of much help to me. But - in any case - 2 wrongs don't make a right

RevMH

Happy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the work you put into this. It's time consuming, costly, and you don't always get the appreciation deserved for the effort. This benefits the whole of the community and is much appreciated!

AKReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of additions would be helpful. First, an acceptable range (low-high) would be helpful for each item on the spreadsheet. The ICP results usually provide this. Why not copy it over to the spreadsheet? Second, maybe a cost per gallon figure based on the best value box/bucket available? I noticed that the box of Reef Crystals for 200 gallons has a higher per-gallon cost ($0.50) than the 160 gallon bucket size ($0.42).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you publish specifications, people will expect you to actually abide by them.

And people will complain when faulty kits falsely indicate a problem.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back