The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are dusky wrasses(Halichoeres marginatus) typically aggressive? My LFS has one that had been there since forever, no one apparently have bothered to buy it. Aggressive eater of mysis. Not sure if it'll outgrow an 80 gal or bully other fish.
Mine is very peaceful but some can be a little aggressive.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at a possible few more wrasses;

Cirrhilabrus balteatus
Cirrhilabrus Lunatus
Cirrhilabrus Brunneus
Paracheilinus attenuatus
M Kuiteri

Or anything I haven't Considered

Thanks for feed back and of course any ranking
Definitely best to less best is:
Balteus
Attenuatus
Brunneus
Lunatus
Kuiteri

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Are dusky wrasses(Halichoeres marginatus) typically aggressive? My LFS has one that had been there since forever, no one apparently have bothered to buy it. Aggressive eater of mysis. Not sure if it'll outgrow an 80 gal or bully other fish.
Mine can be pushy, but he's also in a 55g.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d love to see a brunneus in person. Almost bought one several times from TSM but couldn’t get a good feel for the coloration. Diamond tail is the nicest out of that group imo.
If it weren’t for the tails they’d be a bit bland. My lunatus is still an orangy pink and black mix that doesn’t really work. Hopefully it will become the good vibrant black and orange you see in photos.
IMG_3943.jpeg

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is aggression considered to be the default? I want to get some sort of aiptasia eating butterfly before anything potentially aggressive comes in.
Unlikely to be aggressive to a non wrasse like a butterfly. Not all butterflies are pushovers btw. Its the CBB and its relatives that are very sensitive. My butterfly is a monster to snails.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Jaws' 6 bars are starting to come in more as Red grows. They're a funny tag team.
20230930_103248.jpg

Is aggression considered to be the default? I want to get some sort of aiptasia eating butterfly before anything potentially aggressive comes in.

Also. My copperband was my last fish to go in, with some real wrasseholes.
20230930_103308.jpg

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unlikely to be aggressive to a non wrasse like a butterfly. Not all butterflies are pushovers btw. Its the CBB and its relatives that are very sensitive. My butterfly is a monster to snails.
Looking at kleini at the moment, but none of the lfs ones are eating yet. They also have Chaetodon ephippium and two semilarvatus, although I trust them much less.

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been considering Chaetodon ephippium. They are so pretty! But then I don't care if my corals are nipped in that tank.
I distrust every single butterfly and angelfish I come across, but my mum wants them. Not sure what reef safe butterflies are out there other than H. diphreutes and Chelmon butterflies.

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I distrust every single butterfly and angelfish I come across, but my mum wants them. Not sure what reef safe butterflies are out there other than H. diphreutes and Chelmon butterflies.
I have had my Flame Back with no issues to coral, just starting to be a jerk teritory issues. No experience but this Butterfly is supposed to be the most reef safe, Hemitaurichthys polylepis

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my Flame Back with no issues to coral, just starting to be a jerk teritory issues. No experience but this Butterfly is supposed to be the most reef safe, Hemitaurichthys polylepis
Hemitauricthys are always extremely expensive and difficult to acquire, not to mention ugly and as far as I know useless for aiptasia.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d love to see a brunneus in person. Almost bought one several times from TSM but couldn’t get a good feel for the coloration. Diamond tail is the nicest out of that group imo.
Ive seen a brunneus in person and when i tell you, their fins are just gorgeous.
They illuminate blue when under whites and it’s beautiful. If I could have another fairy I’d grab a brunneus without a doubt.
Looking at a possible few more wrasses;

Cirrhilabrus balteatus
Cirrhilabrus Lunatus
Cirrhilabrus Brunneus
Paracheilinus attenuatus
M Kuiteri

Or anything I haven't Considered

Thanks for feed back and of course any ranking
Well…

Paracheilinus attenuatus if your tank is 4’ or more is the best honestly.
Brunneus follows purely because they have some iridescent fins that no other fish can beat.
Then Kuiteri because it’s female is beautiful but the males I’m not too sure about.
Balteatus closely follows because of that beautiful orange stripe they get on the dark body.
And finally, Lunatus because Balteatus has a nicer colour if I’m honest but my lists can be controversial.

nickm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is everyone getting their wrasses from? I'm wanting a melanaruas wrasse and a leopard wrasse this will be in a 260g aquarium.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BULLIES IN YOUR TANK?

• I place the offender in an acclimation box for a period of time (jail).

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • I remove the offender entirely and reintroduce them at a later time (rehab).

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I use the mirror method (a little reverse psychology).

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I rearrange rock work (throw them off).

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I don't tolerate bullies. Bye bye fishy!

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I've never dealt with a tank bully.

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 7 12.3%
Back