42DFFF50-375D-42F5-87DB-FE0FE7BEA6DB.jpeg
Looks good! No QT?

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. Fully QT. We will see. Talked to them few times and no need. Looks like people who get fish from them don’t QT too.

Tanggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. Fully QT. We will see. Talked to them few times and no need. Looks like people who get fish from them don’t QT too.
Did they go through their quarantine protocol with you? thanks...

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So question for everyone... I'm setting up a 120g tank here in the next couple of months. I'm currently deployed and am using this time to plan.

I want wrasses, some clowns, and anthias in my tank. Nothing super fancy or expensive, just pretty and good movement in the tank.

What compatible wrasses should be on my list?
Hi! I suggest any of the Halichoris Wrasses....most of them are active and hardy additions....and most are not agressive IMO....flashers and fairy wrasses are good choices too.....make sure you research when you decide on which Wrasses to add....

d-man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tsm has very good protocol procedures. They also employ a marine biologist to determine the QT quality and protocol standards.
I have received many fish for myself and friends from TSM and always great specimens

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two pictures of my Exquisite Fairy Wrasse. In searching for place of origin, I was told by Wrasse Enthusiasts that he is from Indonesia. His coloration is significantly better than the emaciated fairy wrasse that I got a few months ago. He is the smallest of all my fairy wrasses, but is doing great.
Exquisite2018081201.jpg
Exquisite2018081202.jpg

Last edited:

xRob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this belongs here or in the disease/health section, but hopefully someone can help.

I have two female m. bipartus that have been in my display now for ~6-7 weeks. Prior to that they were in my QT for 6 weeks where they were treated twice with praziquantel. The LFS I got them from maintains a therapeutic dosage of cupramine where they had been for 4 weeks. My display was also treated twice with praziquantel due to a suspected flukes case on a flasher wrasse that eventually died. It had similar symptoms to what I'll describe below except that the physical symptoms got worse every day for that fish.

Until recently they were doing perfectly - out and active at the same time every day, feeding aggressively on pellet, frozen and flake and generally doing great. A week ago I spotted some damage to the tail fin of one of the fish which definitely was not there the previous day. It looked like it had been nipped. Three days later it hadn't gotten any worse but I noticed similar damage to the other one.

Fast forward to today and the second fish to have damage is acting extremely skittish, swimming oddly and hardly feeding. I think there may be some slight discolouration on its belly. It appears to be avoiding the other one which is acting rather aggressively towards it - drifting over with fins flared before darting in and chasing it away. The victim sometimes swims away tilted to one side. It's difficult to tell if that is due to a problem swimming/maintaining balance or whether it's trying to show a low profile to the other fish. Both fish appear to have elevated breathing - the victim more so. The aggressor has fed each time I've offered pellets today though perhaps less so than usual. The other has taken maybe a couple of pellets.

The aggressive fish does seem to have slightly different facial colouration (more green) so perhaps it could be transitioning to male? The only other fish in the tank are a pair of common clowns and a banggai cardinal. The cardinal is slightly territorial towards the wrasse but I've never witnessed any real aggression. The clowns completely ignore the wrasse and vice versa. The tank is a reefer 250 so 90cm/3' long.

Following up on this post from a while ago. The dominant wrasse did indeed transition to male. The issue I'm left with is that the male is pretty aggressive/dominant towards the female now - though nothing like I described in my first post thankfully. There's no actual contact and the female doesn't disappear into the sand ever but occasionally does get chased into the rock work for a while. I'm concerned that if the aggression gets worse then the health of the female will suffer. Is there anything that I can/should do to alleviate the situation? I've read that possibly introducing a third leopard (same or similar species) may help but am reluctant to do this as I could just end up with a second male in a few months time which would make the situation worse.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered 4 small. 1 was DOA, three was in bad shape. He was the only one survived. The other two died over the next several days. I wanted to ordered more but gun-shy and likely just keep him. Instead of send me 4 small wrasse, they send 2 terminal males and two small.

tp5056

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I ordered 4 small. 1 was DOA, three was in bad shape. He was the only one survived. The other two died over the next several days. I wanted to ordered more but gun-shy and likely just keep him. Instead of send me 4 small wrasse, they send 2 terminal males and two small.

Is your potters really shy? Mine tend to hide in my presence unless I’m feeding them.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is a great fish, very outgoing. One of the first fish t be up in AM and always out. Not shy, hold his own again other fish, but not agressive or go after any fish. Beautiful colors as can be seen in my pictures. I cannot be any happier that I have him. 1 out of 4 is sad however.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following up on this post from a while ago. The dominant wrasse did indeed transition to male. The issue I'm left with is that the male is pretty aggressive/dominant towards the female now - though nothing like I described in my first post thankfully. There's no actual contact and the female doesn't disappear into the sand ever but occasionally does get chased into the rock work for a while. I'm concerned that if the aggression gets worse then the health of the female will suffer. Is there anything that I can/should do to alleviate the situation? I've read that possibly introducing a third leopard (same or similar species) may help but am reluctant to do this as I could just end up with a second male in a few months time which would make the situation worse.

Leopards are one of the few types of wrasses that can be kept in a harem in captivity. However, I would be reluctant adding a single specimen to 2 existing ones. But if you added a trio that would help diffuse aggression.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back