The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
48 x 18 x 16, quite an open scape. I was mostly after the pintail, but the exquisite is still small and I wouldn't find another one at the price (private sale), nor home tank "acclimated" again.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok. If you can add the Pintail first and then the exquisite. Some acclimation boxes have a divider that would help. Good luck

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All
Hope you can offer advice, I have. 200g mainly SPS tank, that has been fallow for 2 months now following a devastating velvet outbreak, I’ve never had wrasse before and as part of the restock I’m going to get some. Other inhabitants will be angels, butterflies, anthias and a small tang. I’m really not sure about compatibility and there is so much choice, what would you guys stock? probably looking to get 6-8 depending on size etc. I have tons of live rock and a sand bed, and have just fitted a net cover. I really like the look of red tail tamarins and am thinking of 2 of them, how are McCoskers, carpenters, yellow coris,? I’m very open to suggestions, thanks in advance..

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mortie31

In a tank that size your options are almost endless. Look at the different types of wrasses (Cirrhilabrus, Paracheilinus, Halichoeres, Macropharyngodon) and see what you like. Bring the specific questions back to this (or start your own thread) and there are lots of great wrasse experts on here that can direct you.

Of the ones you've already asked about they are all possibilities. The McCoskers and Carpenter's are both flasher wrasse. You could have them and probably a couple more in the genus if wanted. The yellow coris (I prefer Canary wrasse as they are not a coris wrasse) is a fantastic fish. Colorful, peaceful and very active. Helps out with some pests as well. The red tail tamarin is an Anampses wrasse and this genus is a little more difficult and doesn't ship well. The also get big and can eat clean up crew when they get big. The male red tail tamarin looks nothing like the female that carries the name. If you did get one and it transitioned to male it would be a beautiful fish. Look up Psych head wrasse.

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked the isosceles & exquisitus up. They were in 1.021 sg water.. (in a reef tank, ??) so had to drop the QT a bit but they're both in a dark 20L right now @ 1.022 sg and are eating mysis already. Isoceles is definitely the more delicate of the two, it did not like the transport over. Going to take it really slow with these two, and I do have an acclimation box from octo aquatics here so that part is good.

Thanks guys.

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the best pic, but they're eating like crazy on LRS frenzy. Actually that's a horrible pic, colour on the exquisite is nothing like what this looks like ;|

fairys
by Kyl, on Flickr

vedros74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have experience keeping more than one yellow coris wrasse in a tank together? It’s a 150 and current wrasse inhabitants are potters,black leopard and jeweled wrasse. Trying to get rid of some red planaria. Thanks

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have experience keeping more than one yellow coris wrasse in a tank together? It’s a 150 and current wrasse inhabitants are potters,black leopard and jeweled wrasse. Trying to get rid of some red planaria. Thanks
Yep....I do....I have two....one I had for a couple of years....last summer he went in the sand and disappeared for six weeks....so I bought another one....a few days later out the first one popped.....lol...a little thin but ok....no aggression at all between the two.
6fd7f5d29f0c92d56f9db29d400eea97.jpg

vedros74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep....I do....I have two....one I had for a couple of years....last summer he went in the sand and disappeared for six weeks....so I bought another one....a few days later out the first one popped.....lol...a little thin but ok....no aggression at all between the two.
6fd7f5d29f0c92d56f9db29d400eea97.jpg

Thanks. Any other wrasse in the tank?Nevermind I see quite a few after looking closer. Thanks again

Last edited:

mache62

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this guy from the LFS a while back. Was in a tank by itself so no real color....brought it home and after a week of hiding he is out and starting to color up. Any ideas on and I'd? All I can figure is some type of fairy.
75e4a7d2cc9f7fa0fffc3e607bcc8140.jpg
f29add38c73b83f857dd9723e39cf53f.jpg

mache62

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this guy from the LFS a while back. Was in a tank by itself so no real color....brought it home and after a week of hiding he is out and starting to color up. Any ideas on and I'd? All I can figure is some type of fairy.
75e4a7d2cc9f7fa0fffc3e607bcc8140.jpg
f29add38c73b83f857dd9723e39cf53f.jpg
Anyone have an ID for this guy/girl?

Jholli90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figure wrasse lovers will have my answer. My LFS has never seen the wrasse I was interested in, and didn't have any advice on price or experience with it in a tank environment. It is a Richmonds wrasse. It is on live aquaria and it says reef safe with caution. I know some fish prefer hard over soft and vice versa. Just hoping to find someone who has had one, and a little of what to expect if I choose to get one. Will it eat my cleaner, and fire shrimp? Are my snails and hermits lunch?

I have a 90 gallon. With xenia, zooanthids, Duncan, starry polyps, and a mushroom.

Screenshot_20181020-231637_Chrome.jpg

Ds04384

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a McCosker’s flasher wrasse about 2.5 weeks ago from my lfs. It’s been doing great until today when I found it swimming in corkscrews. I’m guessing it is a swim bladder issue but I do not see any bulging. Do you think this is due to illness, injury, or maybe cyanide poisoning?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 32.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 41 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 40 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back