The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have an ID for this guy/girl?
Looks like a C. cyanopleura, but a pic without so much blue light would help.
I figure wrasse lovers will have my answer. My LFS has never seen the wrasse I was interested in, and didn't have any advice on price or experience with it in a tank environment. It is a Richmonds wrasse. It is on live aquaria and it says reef safe with caution. I know some fish prefer hard over soft and vice versa. Just hoping to find someone who has had one, and a little of what to expect if I choose to get one. Will it eat my cleaner, and fire shrimp? Are my snails and hermits lunch?

I have a 90 gallon. With xenia, zooanthids, Duncan, starry polyps, and a mushroom.

Screenshot_20181020-231637_Chrome.jpg
Perhaps my favorite Halichoeres species. It is peaceful to other fish, completely safe with corals, larger specimens may go after some inverts, but the ones I have had left inverts alone.
I got a McCosker’s flasher wrasse about 2.5 weeks ago from my lfs. It’s been doing great until today when I found it swimming in corkscrews. I’m guessing it is a swim bladder issue but I do not see any bulging. Do you think this is due to illness, injury, or maybe cyanide poisoning?
That behavior is most often related to a spinal injury.

Ds04384

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That behavior is most often related to a spinal injury.

Any idea what would cause that in the tank? Any hope for it? I do have a solid glass top on it specifically to prevent flashers from jumping out. Do you think it jumped and hit it hard enough to cause this?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what would cause that in the tank? Any hope for it? I do have a solid glass top on it specifically to prevent flashers from jumping out. Do you think it jumped and hit it hard enough to cause this?
Glass lids definitely could do that. I strongly recommend investing in a clear 1/4" mesh lid.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Definitely a possiblility, it can also run in to the side panes of the tank but I would think that's less likely. I've never had one recover from it but my series is only 4 fish. I have read of them recovering....much like people with a spinal contusion can regain some/all of their neurologic deficit. The longer it goes without improving, the less likely it is to happen IMO.

Mine have always eaten...or tried to. They will often have to circle several times to line up with the food. It would help them to turn flow down or off during feeding to help them "be more accurate". Mine have always circled in a specific direction...probably related to the location of the spinal injury.

Good luck!

Ds04384

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a possiblility, it can also run in to the side panes of the tank but I would think that's less likely. I've never had one recover from it but my series is only 4 fish. I have read of them recovering....much like people with a spinal contusion can regain some/all of their neurologic deficit. The longer it goes without improving, the less likely it is to happen IMO.

Mine have always eaten...or tried to. They will often have to circle several times to line up with the food. It would help them to turn flow down or off during feeding to help them "be more accurate". Mine have always circled in a specific direction...probably related to the location of the spinal injury.

Good luck!

It is definitely responding to and trying to eat. Hopefully it’ll recover but right now it’s just devastating to watch

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
C. earlei
C. shutmani
C. kwazulu
C. rosefascia
P. attenuatus terminal male
P. attenutaus transitional male
C. lunatus
C. nahacki

And of course photo bombing
Z. gemmatum

image.jpg
Very nice list! How do the Attenutes get along? What size tank?

Jamie_S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newest addition to our reef, and very quickly became everyone's favorite. Daughter named him Calvin.
Also, really need to learn how to use this fancy new iPhone to take better pics.
fairywrasse.JPG

d-man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice list! How do the Attenutes get along? What size tank?

At first the transitional male picked on the terminal male since he was added after. But the hooded(bathyphillus) got in between and stopped the transitional males aggression. It only lasted a couple hrs. Then they were all fine.

960g 8’x4’x4’

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool picture! None of my sand sleeping wrasse have ever chosen to sleep that close to the glass.
Thanks! Yea I no he sleeps around there but never paid attention, then one night I was like WHAT is in my sand! I grabbed a flashlight and there he was! LOL! My other Wrasses don't sleep next to the glass though. One leopard sleeps under my Maxima clam though! LOL!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had an interesting success this week. Wondering if it was luck or if anyone else has had it work for them.

I introduced a P. angulatus and P. lineopunctatus to my tank which had an established P. flavianalis that is (I'm not kidding) well over 3", bigger than some of my fairy wrasses. He ignored the two in the acclimation box and I let them out after two days. The linespot could not contain himself and started flashing incessantly. Bad choice....the yellow fin chased him till he hid in the rock work all the time.

I removed the yellow fin for a month and put him back in last week.....best of buds now and all 3 are flashing at each other.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Had an interesting success this week. Wondering if it was luck or if anyone else has had it work for them.

I introduced a P. angulatus and P. lineopunctatus to my tank which had an established P. flavianalis that is (I'm not kidding) well over 3", bigger than some of my fairy wrasses. He ignored the two in the acclimation box and I let them out after two days. The linespot could not contain himself and started flashing incessantly. Bad choice....the yellow fin chased him till he hid in the rock work all the time.

I removed the yellow fin for a month and put him back in last week.....best of buds now and all 3 are flashing at each other.
Nice! All three very underrated.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Blue Throat Fairy. He is one heck of a beautiful wrasse but so hard to take a good picture of him since he is so fast. 4 hrs and several hundred pictures and this is all I have to show for it.
BlueThroatFairy2016010501.jpg

BlueThroatFairy2016010502.jpg

BlueThroatFairy2016010503.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 26 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back