The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the pintail won't beat up the lunate either but they will be in my 30g cube for a year then into my upgrade 100g. I might set up a QT tank to split them up if they become aggressive towards eachother though lol
I don’t think the pintail will be aggressive to the lunate but you can never assume (Kinda like how I’m not risking a 1.5” naoko with a 3” Scott’s even in a 100g 4x2x2)

NanoWrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think the pintail will be aggressive to the lunate but you can never assume (Kinda like how I’m not risking a 1.5” naoko with a 3” Scott’s even in a 100g 4x2x2)
They swim in tandem with eachother atm, I think that's what made the store employee think it was a pair. I'm definitely gonna keep close eyes on there attitudes towards each, I'm hoping since the both were introduced at the same time it will help with the aggression levels.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They swim in tandem with eachother atm, I think that's what made the store employee think it was a pair. I'm definitely gonna keep close eyes on there attitudes towards each, I'm hoping since the both were introduced at the same time it will help with the aggression levels.
It’s always better to add them in at the same time so you could actually have a nice ‘pair’ of wrasse there

c_healy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newest addition to the tank!

A female Nahacky Fairy Wrasse. I’ll get some better photos soon.

Attachments

• 1040504F-E84C-4A96-A494-88B3214FCC37.jpeg
    1040504F-E84C-4A96-A494-88B3214FCC37.jpeg
    99.1 KB · Views: 67

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These guys are gonna make me get an actual camera out. All of the fairy's are flashing regularly now. Best $9 I've ever spent.

20210908_191343.jpg
That’s a nice looking wrasse, I’m guessing it’s a seafighter (C. rubriventralis)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I’m so excited to have the Nahacky. Now if I could just find the last few I want.
Haha, yeah. I’ve seen a wrasse that I thought was a female naoko but now I’ve seen images of the Kenyan fairy it looks almost identical to males of that species
(I think for Kenyans there needs to be a private collector out there though so I don’t think it is 100% a kenyan fairy. I may be missing a wrasse that’s similar to the kenyan fairy but even if it was the naoko is stopping my ability from trying one since he’s almost big enough to be in the tank the Kenyan would end up in)

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, how do you guys get your fairy’s to flash without a female present in the tank, none of mine flash and my two Lubbock’s are males yet still ignore eachother, same with the Scott’s he ignores all other 4 wrasse in the tank and instead he used to display to my female clownfish before she vanished

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You grabbed this one up quick lol I see i need to be on point in this wrasse game haha Beautiful fish.
Yeah, that’s the thing if you see a wrasse you want it’s a game of snatch and see who snags it first because often the wrasse you want is a very wanted one. I snagged my Scott’s wrasse up as soon as I saw it haha- I regret it but I can’t return it because he has a place in my heart which is why this hobby is so hard

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a nice looking wrasse, I’m guessing it’s a seafighter (C. rubriventralis)

That's what I always knew them as, but ReefBuilders says their scientific name was officially changed to C. rubeus around 5 years ago. He is bringing the best out in the other fairy's right now.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I always knew them as, but ReefBuilders says their scientific name was officially changed to C. rubeus around 5 years ago. He is bringing the best out in the other fairy's right now.
Yeah, they are but the odd thing is ReedBuilders has said they’re a new species of fairy wrasse, C. rubeus is I’m pretty sure an older species than C. naokoae (The one I have now) but I think it was in the hobby longer just being sold as a species similar to it like C. joanallenae

I’ve just read more on C. rubeus and C. Rubriventralis and I’m pretty sure from what I’ve read they’re two different species all together but I may be wrong with that here’s a bit from reefbuilders’ description of the two species:

Cirrhilabrus rubeus usually has two spike-fin rays compared to just one for most other species. Also, while C. rubriventralis has nearly solid red ventral and anal fins, C. rubeus has a degree of black coloration on the pelvic and anal fins with red edges.

Last edited:

Reefhaven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse compatibility question…Currently have the following wrasses. Looking to add a few more. Tank is 210 gallon 72x24x29. What do you think @evolved ?!

have…
Lineatus
Laboute
Rhomboid
Yellow banded velvet
Pintail
Exquisite
Vermiculate leopard

want to add…
Hooded
Orange back
Marjorie
Flame (if I can find one)
Radiant
Scott’s
Naoko
Blue throat sailfin

Thanks guys!!!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse compatibility question…Currently have the following wrasses. Looking to add a few more. Tank is 210 gallon 72x24x29. What do you think @evolved ?!

have…
Lineatus
Laboute
Rhomboid
Yellow banded velvet
Pintail
Exquisite
Vermiculate leopard

want to add…
Hooded
Orange back
Marjorie
Flame (if I can find one)
Radiant
Scott’s
Naoko
Blue throat sailfin

Thanks guys!!!
So, from personal experience with a Scott’s I recommend against it since the colour action of the exquisite is similar to the Scott’s. But also, the leopards need a more peaceful tank from what I know and a Scott’s can get very aggressive (Albeit, I haven’t seen aggression from my Scott’s but that’s just me being lucky with a young peaceful male so far).

The blue throat sailfin is (from what I know) a similar body shape to the Scott’s so I don’t recommend it but also I have heard of them being almost as aggressive as some Scott’s. Thinking about the tank size they MAY work since there’s the room for both but I don’t recommend trying it unless you want to be prepared to remove one and pick favourites.

Naoko fairy’s will most likely be okay in that tank, they just need to be added last and with a risk of them being aggressive.

Hooded fairy’s I can’t really tell you about since I haven’t every been ‘into’ them (No offence)

The radiant will most likely be okay you just need to remember how they’re bad shippers but also to try and see if your LFS will have it eating and check for mouth injuries/infections but also, take caution when mixing that with the naoko.

Orange backs I can’t really talk about since that’s also not one of the wrasse I’ve been into.

majories I can’t tell you about that certain wrasse however I can talk about a wrasse in the same complex since I’m a proud owner of two Lubbock’s (C. lubbocki) and Ive found the one from Indonesia to be more cryptic than my one from Cebu. They’re also the more peaceful of the wrasses in the Cirrhilabrus genus.

I know this isn’t like proper care of a flame however, at my LFS I worked at for a few months, had one and I had to work around it a lot. They have a very similar body shape to both blue throats and Scott’s so take caution there along with the coloration being similar to the blue throat sailfin although they could work but again take caution.

also, Be warned: Laboutes and Lineatus can be very aggressive to other new wrasse so introduce new wrasse Atleast in pairs if possible (Or use a distraction like food, that’s how I added my Indonesian Lubbock to my tank without the already established Cebu & Scott’s realising)

Last edited:

c_healy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, thanks to @SaltyT ,ive got a beautiful C. Earlei arriving on Tuesday!

I’m sooooo excited. I’ve wanted an earls ever since I first saw one on here about 6/7 years ago

photo from NYC fish n corals

Attachments

• 17463449-AC51-484C-A6C0-E13B489A8385.jpeg
    17463449-AC51-484C-A6C0-E13B489A8385.jpeg
    144.8 KB · Views: 37

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back