The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, thanks to @SaltyT ,ive got a beautiful C. Earlei arriving on Tuesday!

I’m sooooo excited. I’ve wanted an earls ever since I first saw one on here about 6/7 years ago

photo from NYC fish n corals
Nice one! It’s always fun when you get to own a new species of wrasse that’s more on the rare side. The closest most people get to a rare wrasse is C. Naokoae/C. Africanus/C. aquamarinus (It’s kinda hard to get in the uk)

c_healy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, there were a few wrasses that I had decided on before starting the new build. One down, one more to go, on the must have fish. I was going to get the earls last but couldn’t pass up the deal.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, there were a few wrasses that I had decided on before starting the new build. One down, one more to go, on the must have fish. I was going to get the earls last but couldn’t pass up the deal.

What are the other two?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t do the ‘List plan’ it was mainly just from the colours, care and personality that gave my the wrasse I have now- The ones I will never regret are the Naoko and Radiant (Although, the LFS does have a nice looking C. africanus male)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m hoping to pick up another wrasse today, it’ll either be a P. Mccockeri or A. neoguinaicus. Just as long as they haven’t sold both of them, if they sold one then I’ll probably end up with the other (I’m hoping the one I get is A. neoguinaicus)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw this beauty in my LFS today (Didn’t pick him or any new wrasse up unfortunately since the McCockers was sold and the biggest China’s anal fin was nipped at) and was just wondering what you think he is? I’m suspecting C. africanus
AA36695A-7321-4FFB-8618-01EA8A79F456.jpeg

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this is entirely the right thread, but we just added a very curious and playful Quoy parrotfish to our reef tank. We’d been actively looking for a parrotfish for the past year, but the vast majority have been skittish, reclusive and generally not looking and eating well. This one was the complete opposite - friendly, curious, fat and healthy and eating at the LFS the day after arrival.

We’re still letting him adjust to his new surroundings and have the lights dimmed for the next few days, but I’ll try to get a picture of him up. He has some really nice colorings.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this is entirely the right thread, but we just added a very curious and playful Quoy parrotfish to our reef tank. We’d been actively looking for a parrotfish for the past year, but the vast majority have been skittish, reclusive and generally not looking and eating well. This one was the complete opposite - friendly, curious, fat and healthy and eating at the LFS the day after arrival.

We’re still letting him adjust to his new surroundings and have the lights dimmed for the next few days, but I’ll try to get a picture of him up. He has some really nice colorings.
Quoy’s are nice fish it’s just the not so reefsafe part and the max size that makes me avoid them

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Cebu Lubbocki has gained some more colour, I don’t know if thats because I’m not running blues 24/7 with a small bit of white or if it’s because of the Indonesian Lubbocki. The Cebu went from being all pink to its now got hints of light blue on its anal and pelvic fins along with the lower half of his body
image.jpg

even my juvenile Jade has gained white tips in her pelvic fins

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My C. jordani is my favorite right now, but I have a c. isosceles in QT that might give him a run for his money soon.
DSC_7241.jpg
Such amazing colours on him. Definitely a gem wrasse (I still prefer the ‘old school’ wrasse haha)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the greatest photo, but he was a little freaked about about the water change today and I couldn't get him to sit still for a minute.

parrotfish.jpg
He’s ever so pretty, the infamous behaviour of parrots and wrasse is they never stop swimming (Even in big tanks)

DVal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of quick questions.

#1 Has anybody had any shipping issues with Laboute's? I'm on my second and it's not looking good. My first dies after about 3 days and this one doesn't look like it'll make it past 5 days. Every other fish shipped with them are all alive and well.

#2 is there any difference between Scott's greenback and Scott's velvet wrasse? I've seen them both labeled differently on the same site.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of quick questions.

#1 Has anybody had any shipping issues with Laboute's? I'm on my second and it's not looking good. My first dies after about 3 days and this one doesn't look like it'll make it past 5 days. Every other fish shipped with them are all alive and well.

#2 is there any difference between Scott's greenback and Scott's velvet wrasse? I've seen them both labeled differently on the same site.
Fairy wrasse aren’t known to be bad shippers (Which makes me assume something is wrong with both Laboutes you’ve had) and the Scott’s velvet wrasse is the colour variant of the Scott’s wrasse from the Cook Islands then the Scott’s greenback wrasse is the variant of the Scott’s wrasse from either Fiji or Australia
I have the Australian Scott’s and the Fiji has even less colour than the Aussie so I’m assuming the one they label as ‘greenback’ is from Fiji OR it’s a female (Females look identical to eachother no matter where they’re from)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of oldies

1/2 of a bonded pair
dragon.JPG

0CD8019B-3AA6-42BE-AF2A-3F27ED95E1A5_zpszazsmv2q.jpg
Dragons are one of the wrasses I would love- I just don’t have the time or motivation to end up gluing my rocks cape together (I already do it with some frags and it’s not fun because there’s a Foxface in the tank)

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dragons are one of the wrasses I would love- I just don’t have the time or motivation to end up gluing my rocks cape together (I already do it with some frags and it’s not fun because there’s a Foxface in the tank)

Best left to observe in the wild, ha! These were about 8" each, incredibly destructive but equally interesting to watch.

DVal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairy wrasse aren’t known to be bad shippers (Which makes me assume something is wrong with both Laboutes you’ve had) and the Scott’s velvet wrasse is the colour variant of the Scott’s wrasse from the Cook Islands then the Scott’s greenback wrasse is the variant of the Scott’s wrasse from either Fiji or Australia
I have the Australian Scott’s and the Fiji has even less colour than the Aussie so I’m assuming the one they label as ‘greenback’ is from Fiji OR it’s a female (Females look identical to eachother no matter where they’re from)
Thanks for the info. I got them from 2 different reputable sources. The second one was a little skinny to begin with though. He didn't make it. He was in an observation tank with a Watanabei angel and 2 Helfrichi. Those are doing great.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. I got them from 2 different reputable sources. The second one was a little skinny to begin with though. He didn't make it. He was in an observation tank with a Watanabei angel and 2 Helfrichi. Those are doing great.
I recommend (If possible) trying to get wrasses from the LFS because of some of them being bad shippers (Radiants, Anampses, Leopards ect..)
Best left to observe in the wild, ha! These were about 8" each, incredibly destructive but equally interesting to watch.
Yeah, the thing I’d love to watch is a juvenile dragon go to an adult because they look almost completely different but I don’t trust them in tanks with 3lbs rock that isn’t glued

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back