The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B. bimaculatus getting along well in the display and growing like a weed. Wish I could get some other species before he gets huge.

bimac.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B. bimaculatus getting along well in the display and growing like a weed. Wish I could get some other species before he gets huge.

bimac.jpg
That’s a beautiful fish!!

You guys keep adding to the list of final wrasses I would love to try haha, first it was just 3 now it’s Atleast 10.
Jade has been taking it slowly recently however he is definitely getting the colours as time goes by.

Also, does anyone know how A. femininus prefers to be? Do they prefer a harem (If so, how big) or pairs/singular?

It’s one of my dream wrasses to own and I know they’re finicky but the females are beautiful. I think I’ll try to grab one in the future, maybe have that as my final wrasse.

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I don’t know if I’ve just never noticed these or if they’re new however I have been watching my radiant this morning and have seen some beautiful green and orange markings on her face. She has also been more territorial but that may just be due to how the Jade is in the tank and transitioning. I’m very sorry that it’s blues but these are the best photos I can get of her for now. i have also noticed how there’s a darkish line appearing in her dorsalfin, I can’t remember if that was there before or not.
F4DE9751-6E06-4B03-A0C2-66D94A3E3BF0.jpeg

3998BDCE-27FF-46F8-8AAC-EA15DC98BE3F.jpeg

479DD665-ABF0-49F4-8DC4-96615D18622C.jpeg

My main worry is are both my Halichoeres transitioning at the same time?

Last edited:

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking I might try another wrasse of some sort.

Love me an exquisite(had one on the past), but not sure if my current pintail would be OK with it.

And yes @i cant think the pintail has quite a few striking iridescent blue stripes. It's what initially drew me to the wrasse at the LFS.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking I might try another wrasse of some sort.

Love me an exquisite(had one on the past), but not sure if my current pintail would be OK with it.

And yes @i cant think the pintail has quite a few striking iridescent blue stripes. It's what initially drew me to the wrasse at the LFS.
Since they seem to be seperate complexes (Not that I can say much about same complex wrasses not mixing) they should be alright. I was drawn to the Pintail by the colour, had no idea that behind the glass box was so much more. Then again, the only way you can see the iridescent blue stripes on fish is top down unless they’re in a clam built tank where the glass is the certain type that lets you see those beautiful patterns.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear this is most likely the last wrasse question I have today (Unless my radiant turns out to be transitioning) haha, however:
Are there supermales of EVERY wrasse? Because I have never seen supermale lubbockis (Of either variant), supermale naokos, Supermale radiants, and a bunch more. The only supermale side heard of are:
Melanurus
Lineatus fairy
Scott’s fairy (Mostly Fijis)
Laboutes fairy

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must be the "starfire" glass on my tank?

I can see the iridescent lines quite clearly in my tank through the glass.
Possibly, I can’t remember what type of glass it was that helps to see proper colouring and not just the bold colours that aren’t iridescent. Also the angle can help with iridescence. I have seen the electric blue lines on my naoko every so often (Not to the extent that top-down shows though).

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I definitely can see a difference between the fish in my tank, as opposed to the LFS tanks.

My fish just look more vibrant, and lively(for lack of a better term). The clarity on the starfire glass is 100% noticeable over my older regular float glass tanks.

I have a cheapo 10G refugium on a counter top behind my display. Moving stuff from it to the display is 100% noticeable.

This is my first "starfire" glass tank so I cannot compare to others. Just older float glass type tanks.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty sure it is the starfire glass that shows the VERY nice patterns properly.

Also, I wonder if one of my Lubbock’s is a supermale since the definition of supermale is the “alpha” male. They both colour up beautifully at the certain point in the night when they flash at eachother so it’s rather hard to figure out which is the supermale if one of them is.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Males, females, supermales......

Never really got that much into it myself. I have an alpha male(H. chrysus), and have not noticed anyone else changing other then the red corris I gave up.

I've had my H. chrysus for many, many years, and has always been the "tank boss", any naturally born female wrasse has stayed female over the years. IME

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Males, females, supermales......

Never really got that much into it myself. I have an alpha male(H. chrysus), and have not noticed anyone else changing other then the red corris I gave up.

I've had my H. chrysus for many, many years, and has always been the "tank boss", any naturally born female wrasse has stayed female over the years. IME
That’s interesting because everywhere I read it says “All female wrasses become males” I’m just hoping not to wind up with an alpha male Jade if I keep him, my melanomarginatus fairy doesn’t seem to be losing colours so he could be either terminal or alpha but I’m again unsure.

Personally I’m not into a lot of the male wrasses unless they’re fairies or flashers but even then it has to be the right specimen. Jade wrasse males I cant tell if I’m going to like the colours or hate them since when I search male colours for the Jade there’s many different varieties of males. I do like learning about the different types of males there are with wrasse but it hits a point where it’s highly confusing.

Would love to see some pictures of your chrysus and other wrasses though!!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Radiant wrasse First picture was at Petco ? 2019, and the second picture on 1/24/2022, he is a male, but not a super-male yet.
Female
RadiantW2019062601.jpg

Male
RadiantWrasse2022012401.jpg
What do supermale radiants look like if yours is a regular male?

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only difference in H. chrysus between juvi and adult that I can tell, is the addition of irridescent lines on the face, and loss of black dots on the dorsal fin as they progress to adulthood.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep looking at the photo of Salty’s neoguinaicus on page 699 and I’m slowly gaining the want to grab one of them over other wrasses but for now, I think I’ll continue to look through the pages from 1 to 705 and see the photos of everyone’s wrasses.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure my next wrasse will be an exquisite. I need a couple more wrasses since I lost my Mel, and rehomed the red corris.

Unless the next time in the LFS some other wrasse catches my eye. I have a feeling it will be something besides the exquisite, as I just don't see that many in my neck of the woods.

Have always wanted a tanka's pygmy, and had one once. It just disappeared one day never to be seen again. I think I need more open swimmers(fairies) then cryptic fish.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have a few wrasse that catch my eye when I go into the LFS and the most common ones that do it are A. femininus, A. neoguinaicus and A. chyrsocephalus however unfortunately my dream wrasse (A. chrysocephalus) is now basically impossible to grab hold of over here. My LFS gets in some rather nice wrasses and they get them in in quite big numbers (I think it was about 7-8 neoguinaicus last week with all of them eating and looking healthy). When in season they tend to get 2-3 Anampses femininus at a time and they all end up healthy and happy. Hopefully Hawaii opens again but if it doesn’t by the time I’m ready for a new wrasse I guess I’ll have to try find the closest relative to chrycosephalus.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped into my LFS the other day and they had a number of nice wrasses, more than usual.
exquisite
lunare
formosa
blue sided fairy
red fin fairy
lubbock
mccosker
and a nice banana wrasse that somebody turned in... nice fish unfortunately it appeared to be itching/scratching.
the lfs had it in copper. I've never seen one before. very nice, unfortunately much too big for my tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back