The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, seven hours later the Pink Streak Wrasse is still hiding and blenny went after the other two wrasses. No idea if this is the blenny maturing or what but if I have three stressed wrasses because of one “peaceful” reef fish I won’t be happy.
Still no sign of the pink streak… but I mean that’s also kind of good in a way as it means I haven’t spotted a dead body anywhere yet. Just keeping an eye out for blenny aggression (I boosted my lighting a bit for the coral so that may not have helped the Pink Streak).
The other thing that worries me is if he managed to get into the back chambers the naoko got into a few months back.

NanoJHB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first fairy wrasse. Absolute stunner
IMG-20220506-WA0036.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first fairy wrasse. Absolute stunner
IMG-20220506-WA0036.jpg
I love the aquamarinus, it may be an older species to the hobby but it really is stunning. I find that these are often associated with the Naoko’s fairy.

NanoJHB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the aquamarinus, it may be an older species to the hobby but it really is stunning. I find that these are often associated with the Naoko’s fairy.
It was sold to me as a C.solorensis, but after some quick googling you're definitely right it's a C.aquamarinus.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was sold to me as a C.solorensis, but after some quick googling you're definitely right it's a C.aquamarinus.
They’re often sold as C. solorensis because they were actually under C. cf solorensis, now the three species sold as Solorensis have been turned into: Chalasai, Solorensis and Aquamarinus.
Very similar thing happened to C. roseafascia i believe

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re often sold as C. solorensis because they were actually under C. cf solorensis, now the three species sold as Solorensis have been turned into: Chalasai, Solorensis and Aquamarinus.
Very similar thing happened to C. roseafascia i believe
I mean C. rubriquamis and not Roseafascia

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great fish to add some blue color. Are these a bit aggressive or no?
They can be rather aggressive in some cases but much like the naoko’s fairy they can also be extremely peaceful.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well now I’m kicking myself as I checked everywhere in the sump of my RSMN. Moved some of the main rocks around (Leaving the rocks that only the griessinger goby could fit under). Still absolutely no sign of an alive pink streak.I did something different last time but can’t figure out what it was.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well now I’m kicking myself as I checked everywhere in the sump of my RSMN. Moved some of the main rocks around (Leaving the rocks that only the griessinger goby could fit under). Still absolutely no sign of an alive pink streak.I did something different last time but can’t figure out what it was.
That really sucks. Fingers crossed

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know which wrasses can prey on Berghia Nudibranchs? I was planning on ordering a colony of them but wanted to be sure I wasn't throwing my money away if my blue star leopard wrasse was going to make a meal of them

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know which wrasses can prey on Berghia Nudibranchs? I was planning on ordering a colony of them but wanted to be sure I wasn't throwing my money away if my blue star leopard wrasse was going to make a meal of them
I was thinking the same thing. Any of the cirrhilabrus or Vivien?

@SaltyT
@Crabby48
@i cant think
@eatbreakfast

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking the same thing. Any of the cirrhilabrus or Vivien?

@SaltyT
@Crabby48
@i cant think
@eatbreakfast
Your best bet will be a Halichoeres. I had some absolutely nasty flatworms. If I recall, Salty did mention that the Black Leopard they have is a great eater when it comes to pests. I personally don’t know if my blue star is eating pests as I have so far been lucky as to not see any in my nano. I know for a fact my chloropterus loved hunting the flatties. Later I tested with nudi’s and both my iridis and chloropterus went after them (Yes, I willingly put Nudi’s into my display tank).

I have found that one half of Halichoeres prefers the worms and the other half prefers the “bugs”. Whilst some are inbetween and don’t really care. For example, I have found that Leucoxanthus doesn’t really care what pest it is. Same thing with Chloropterus and Iridis.

Macropharyngodon seems to be iffy with wether they eat pests or not as I mentioned however some species do appear to eat pests.

Last edited:

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your best bet will be a Halichoeres. I had some absolutely nasty flatworms. If I recall, Salty did mention that the Black Leopard they have is a great eater when it comes to pests. I personally don’t know if my blue star is eating pests as I have so far been lucky as to not see any in my nano. I know for a fact my chloropterus loved hunting the flatties. Later I tested with nudi’s and both my iridis and chloropterus went after them (Yes, I willingly put Nudi’s into my display tank).

I have found that one half of Halichoeres prefers the worms and the other half prefers the “bugs”. Whilst some are inbetween and don’t really care. For example, I have found that Leucoxanthus doesn’t really care what pest it is. Same thing with Chloropterus and Iridis.
I would also like to add that I know for a fact that 6 line wrasses will go after burghia nudi’s.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also like to add that I know for a fact that 6 line wrasses will go after burghia nudi’s.
I avoided that mention due to aggression they hold however yes, they’re excellent at pest eating. I loved my old guy for it. As I’m unsure if I have a photo of my 3rd attempt with a six line (all 3 attempts went great until I added a fairy wrasse)
62D4A003-AD4A-455D-B8E1-38D79F1844EB.jpeg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 27 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.1%
Back