The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, the lubbock is a rather aggressive wrasse so I’d personally add the Lubbocki with the Melanurus instead.
"Aggressive" is a strong word to call Lubbocki lol they can get a little pushy as mature males, but so can Exquisitus.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our new Christmas wrasse (about 5.5" in length, so more or less an adult). Came to us via a shutdown tank. We've named him "Wash".

3DD2922C-1E44-424B-8018-3D242866E4D8.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Aggressive" is a strong word to call Lubbocki lol they can get a little pushy as mature males, but so can Exquisitus.
True, although I’d say mine are on the rougher end of pushy… Still won’t get the dang flasher to display though will they. They get the others to display some great colours but the flasher is apparently below their standards.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True, although I’d say mine are on the rougher end of pushy… Still won’t get the dang flasher to display though will they. They get the others to display some great colours but the flasher is apparently below their standards.
I think of aggression as causing harm. Displaying and occasional chasing is just wrasses doing what wrasses do :)

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think of aggression as causing harm. Displaying and occasional chasing is just wrasses doing what wrasses do :)
Ok thanks for that info on the wrasse I was wondering same this with a couple of mine. Then Blue Tang tells everyone to knock it off

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely agree, just wish they would get the flasher to display without needing to drag the naoko in (Although, it’s a stunning show when all 4 are going at eachother)

OscarHaglund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats a perfect tank size as you could have some of the larger wrasses such as an Attenuatus Flasher Wrasse or some of the larger Anampses such as neoguinaicus.
I have been on the lookout for a Attenuatus for my 65g because LA claimed a minimum tank size of 55g. You seem like you know what you are talking about. How come you would only recommend one for such a much larger tank?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been on the lookout for a Attenuatus for my 65g because LA claimed a minimum tank size of 55g. You seem like you know what you are talking about. How come you would only recommend one for such a much larger tank?
The activity in these wrasses causes them to be a bad move in smaller tanks.
Could you elaborate a bit on this? As a beginner I would have assumed that flashers would be more suitable in general than fairies because they are smaller
Many assume this, the reason they’re less suitable it due to their name of “Flasher” Wrasses. This is given to them because of their displaying. When a Paracheilinus species displays the male will make quick, exaggerated moves whilst showing some extravagant colours that aren’t seen in the resting colours. The quick moves can be a risk in a tank less than 4’ due to them potentially running into rocks and other things such as coral.

When we compare this to Fairy Wrasses of the Genus Cirrhilabrus, there is a much more obvious difference. Yes the same behaviour is shown however the display doesn’t happen as often in captivity and when it does it isn’t in short spurts and instead the fish can swim round (yes at some speed) and be weary of when they may potentially swim into something.
Also, a Fairy Wrasse may not display when kept alone and instead may display when kept with similar bodied fairy wrasses or if a flasher wrasse was to display.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful! Which flasher is this?
Thank you! P. Attenuatus aka Diamond tail flasher.

By far he's my favorite flasher that I've ever kept. He puts on a show every evening.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! P. Attenuatus aka Diamond tail flasher.

By far he's my favorite flasher that I've ever kept. He puts on a show every evening.
I’ve been meaning to ask this however, do you own Fairies yourself or is it just flashers?

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been meaning to ask this however, do you own Fairies yourself or is it just flashers?
Sure do! I've kept many fairy wrasses over the years, but currently I have these two:

C. Johnsoni
02022022.jpg

C. Nahackyi
010420221.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure do! I've kept many fairy wrasses over the years, but currently I have these two:

C. Johnsoni
02022022.jpg

C. Nahackyi
010420221.jpg
I forgot about those two haha, theyre stunners for sure. Have you ever caught the Nahacky in display?

Might need to hunt down an unusual Fairy for the 3’x16”.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot about those two haha, theyre stunners for sure. Have you ever caught the Nahacky in display?
No, I've not seen him display yet. My Johnson's and Diamond tail do their best to keep him submissive.

OscarHaglund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The activity in these wrasses causes them to be a bad move in smaller tanks.

Many assume this, the reason they’re less suitable it due to their name of “Flasher” Wrasses. This is given to them because of their displaying. When a Paracheilinus species displays the male will make quick, exaggerated moves whilst showing some extravagant colours that aren’t seen in the resting colours. The quick moves can be a risk in a tank less than 4’ due to them potentially running into rocks and other things such as coral.

When we compare this to Fairy Wrasses of the Genus Cirrhilabrus, there is a much more obvious difference. Yes the same behaviour is shown however the display doesn’t happen as often in captivity and when it does it isn’t in short spurts and instead the fish can swim round (yes at some speed) and be weary of when they may potentially swim into something.
Also, a Fairy Wrasse may not display when kept alone and instead may display when kept with similar bodied fairy wrasses or if a flasher wrasse was to display.
Thanks for the explanation. You think you have done your research before buying but I find I am always ending up finding out new things. I have similar tank dimensions and have a recently aquired carpenteri. So far i have not seen him be close to darting into a rock wall but he is constantly flashing for the juvenile foxface and I am a bit worried that he is going to end up running face first into those spines

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the explanation. You think you have done your research before buying but I find I am always ending up finding out new things. I have similar tank dimensions and have a recently aquired carpenteri. So far i have not seen him be close to darting into a rock wall but he is constantly flashing for the juvenile foxface and I am a bit worried that he is going to end up running face first into those spines
This is what makes me jealous! Everyone talking about their flashers displaying daily. My guy just sits there and goes “You’re all childish” I’ve only ever seen a display from him once.
5F8DA420-CCED-4BB1-85D1-BFA30EE3C1CE.jpeg

P.S. That once has been in the month or so I’ve owned him… I believe I brought him home in July.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently been thinking of wrasses to put in my 3'x16" tank as you guys know, now I own species from Halcihoeres, Cirrhilabrus, Paracheilinus and Macropharyngodon. One of my thoughs has been;
instead of a trio of Pseudocheilinops ataenia, go for a pair and find a species of Pseudojuloides to replace the third ataenia then top it off with another species from a genus I don't own or an uncommon/rare Fairy Wrasse.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently been thinking of wrasses to put in my 3'x16" tank as you guys know, now I own species from Halcihoeres, Cirrhilabrus, Paracheilinus and Macropharyngodon. One of my thoughs has been;
instead of a trio of Pseudocheilinops ataenia, go for a pair and find a species of Pseudojuloides to replace the third ataenia then top it off with another species from a genus I don't own or an uncommon/rare Fairy Wrasse.
Isn't your new tank only 13" in height?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't your new tank only 13" in height?
Unfortunately it is so I doubt I'll be doing a Cirrhilabrus

I do plan for an angel (Venusta or Multicolor) to be the tall fish so I may leave the tank with 4 wrasses and then go for a couple fillers - Most likely gobies.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back