The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have settled with melanarus, yellow corris, excuisite, lubbocks, and carpenter. Thinking of adding all at once. Other tank mates will be 2 black ice clowns, Tomani tang, and exquisite firefish. Sorry I am terrible with the wrasse scientific names.
Don’t worry! Everyone’s bad at scientific names in the start. I’m sure if you just give it time you can learn the scientific names :)
I personally started with memorising the ones I currently own (I usually get bored so often times I end up writing down every scientific name I can remember - usually resulting in about 5 pages of just scientific names).

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trio of pink streaks have all found eachother and they seem to group together quite often. It definitely occurs more than I see groups of Macropharyngodon and Anampses grouping together.
Will be trying to get a photo of all 3 together however they love the caves as juveniles.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy got brave - I’ve been watching the tank for the past 5 hours and just seeing how brave they’re getting is so fun. It’s a feeling that’s hard to explain.
Also, for size comparison that Monti spongoides (I need to clean it up a bit I know) behind the wrasse is I believe under an inch but I could be wrong.
D7685E12-D70F-4DFE-B58F-DCE7CFE7848F.jpeg

This photo was too adorable not to leave out of this thread.
6BC0AAC0-D47F-4F9B-B246-94435F40D2F4.jpeg

Last edited:

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a couple new beauties today. Grabbed a royal flasher (P. angulatus) and a Brunneus Fairy (C. brunneus). Gorgeous fish at an amazing price! Going to see if I can convince my wife to go back for a couple other wrasses they had as well, including Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura, Paracheilinus carpenteri, and Halichoeres chrysus.

On a side note, has anyone ever kept Pseudocoris yamashiroi? I have the opportunity to grab a female, labeled as a torpedo wrasse. Just wondering about behavior in captivity, as I don't want to go down the same road I did with my old Stethojulis balteata never settling into captivity.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a couple new beauties today. Grabbed a royal flasher (P. angulatus) and a Brunneus Fairy (C. brunneus). Gorgeous fish at an amazing price! Going to see if I can convince my wife to go back for a couple other wrasses they had as well, including Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura, Paracheilinus carpenteri, and Halichoeres chrysus.

On a side note, has anyone ever kept Pseudocoris yamashiroi? I have the opportunity to grab a female, labeled as a torpedo wrasse. Just wondering about behavior in captivity, as I don't want to go down the same road I did with my old Stethojulis balteata never settling into captivity.
I personally haven’t had experience with this species (Never really even heard it mentioned about in captivity). I assume they are similar to Anampses and Macropharyngodon in terms of difficulty and then Coris in terms of aggression.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I once asked eatbreakfast about the suitability of Pseudocoris Heteroptera (another torpedo wrasse) for a large reef aquarium. He said they are a good, peaceful choice but suited for experienced aquarists due to their feeding requirements. (High energy, high metabolism requiring multiple feedings per day.) Also requiring a minimum 8 foot tank due to their fast, high energy swimming. Another wrasse that should not be kept with others of the same species as all will turn male and fight each other.

Not Pseudocoris Yamashiroi, I know, but maybe the closest to relevant information you might find as Pseudocoris are not often kept.

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My little yellow coris wrasse, Banana Boy. This guy survived being beat up so badly that he will never fully regrow all his fins. He’s now housed in his own tank and after going through months of intensive treatment he is totally tame and comes up to say hi. He eats from my hands and allows me to touch him! I love this little fighter so much!
5D857324-05E1-47E4-BDB0-375A7C422138.jpeg

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone got experience with Thalassoma pavo? saw one at Lisbon aquarium and want one unbelievably badly now

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone got experience with Thalassoma pavo? saw one at Lisbon aquarium and want one unbelievably badly now
I’ve had experience with close relatives… They’re notoriously aggressive and as they age they can become destructive. They don’t sleep in the sand bed but often become highly active.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had experience with close relatives… They’re notoriously aggressive and as they age they can become destructive. They don’t sleep in the sand bed but often become highly active.
I kept considering giving one of the Thalassoma another shot. They have some gorgeous adult bluehead (bifasciatum) at one LFS and another LFS has some juvenile Hardwick's, but after my previous experiences with T. lunare, T. amblycephalum, and T. bifasciatum, I don't think I'll do it.

On a different note, I did score a gorgeous male Paracheilinus carpenteri for the 47 gallon today, and closely related to wrasses, picked up an adorable baby (maybe 2") bicolor parrotfish (Cetoscarus bicolor) for the FOWLR.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recommendations for halicores wrasses that are peaceful and are unlikely to eat your snails and hermits? Chrysus seems obvious, but im looking to see what the other options are
Halichoeres iridis
Halichoeres timorensis
Halichoeres leucoxanthus
Halichoeres biocellatus
Halichoeres cosmetus
Halichoeres ornatissimus

This is just a small list of ones I could think of from the top of my head :)

OscarHaglund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Halichoeres iridis
Halichoeres timorensis
Halichoeres leucoxanthus
Halichoeres biocellatus
Halichoeres cosmetus
Halichoeres ornatissimus

This is just a small list of ones I could think of from the top of my head :)
The biocellatus looks like it could be a nice fit. Any recommendations in general for a Cirrhilabrus to go with it and my Carpenteri in a 250l/65g display?

Rhomboidalis looks gorgeous but is both a bit expensive and maybe difficult to get hold of

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biocellatus looks like it could be a nice fit. Any recommendations in general for a Cirrhilabrus to go with it and my Carpenteri in a 250l/65g display?

Rhomboidalis looks gorgeous but is both a bit expensive and maybe difficult to get hold of
Almost any Cirrhilabrus can mix with them IME.
But, this is someone with a wrasse gang that makes no sense.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back