The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had experience with close relatives… They’re notoriously aggressive and as they age they can become destructive. They don’t sleep in the sand bed but often become highly active.
:(
are there any thalassoma that are nice or nicer than others lol

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this is the correct place to post, I have a 105g system (80 gallon display) and was thinking of getting 4 wrasses. I was looking into the Paracheilinus carpenteri (carpenters flasher wrasse) Halichoeres melanurus (melanurus wrasse) Christmas wrasse, Macropharyngodon meleagris (leopard wrasse). Currently in the tank there is 2 clowns and a one spot foxface. I plan on getting the wrasses then possible a flame hawk fish and finally a tang of some sort. Are these 4 wrasses good together? And will they get along with other tank mates? If they aren’t compatible which other wrasses should I get? I’m looking for wrasses that will eat pests such as bristle worms and flatworms if I ever get those in my tank. Any help is greatly appreciated!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a halichoeres claudia correct? Could I add it to a tank with a melanurus, yellow coris, fairy wrasse, and Firefish?

20220904_183229.jpg

20220904_183227.jpg
That is a Claudia and you may be able to mix it with the trio you have however expect aggression from the other two hali's whilst they sort out a Hierarchy change.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this is the correct place to post, I have a 105g system (80 gallon display) and was thinking of getting 4 wrasses. I was looking into the Paracheilinus carpenteri (carpenters flasher wrasse) Halichoeres melanurus (melanurus wrasse) Christmas wrasse, Macropharyngodon meleagris (leopard wrasse). Currently in the tank there is 2 clowns and a one spot foxface. I plan on getting the wrasses then possible a flame hawk fish and finally a tang of some sort. Are these 4 wrasses good together? And will they get along with other tank mates? If they aren’t compatible which other wrasses should I get? I’m looking for wrasses that will eat pests such as bristle worms and flatworms if I ever get those in my tank. Any help is greatly appreciated!
which christmas wrasse are you after? theres I believe 4 species that go under that name (2 of them being Halichoeres wrasses)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Halichoeres claudia looks the nicest to me personally. But I can’t seem to find the other species
The other two I know of that get labelled as Christmas Wrasse are Halichoeres ornatissimus and Halichoeres biocellatus. The third is one of the Thalassomas but I dont remember which one.

OscarHaglund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone with experience using tank transfer method on halichores wrasses? Putting a tray of sand is a given. But i have read a lot about them often hiding in the sand for several days when first introduced to a system. If i keep transfering them and having to dig them out I am worried that they will be too stressed and just hide instead of eating.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to update everyone on the pinkies :)

The trio are doing great. Fattening up nicely (I have one that I looked at tonight and the belly was nice and plump) and settling in perfectly as well.
They eat pretty much everything (A list of what I feed over both tanks is below). I think I’ll see some size coming on the trio soon - Still not seen any signs of issues. Unfortunately, I can’t get a photo of all three out at the same time as when I do try to, Atleast one of them (if not two) will go into the caves.

1 Cube of Frozen Mysis
1 Cube of Frozen Krill
1 Cube of Frozen Bloodworms
1 Cube of Frozen Mix
1 Cube of Brine
2 pinches of a mix of basically every nutritional pellets/flake I can try get hold of.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The three musketeers are still all together. No aggression has been seen still, they all swim together quite happily and even come out to swim as a trio. You’ll have to take my word for it as they love the tank but hate me. I’ll be trying to get a photo of the three together today. As for Quarantine, they were fresh out of the supplier. My LFS don’t quarantine this species due to sensitivity (I personally prefer that as it means I don’t risk a copper burned or weakened fish). Yes I’m aware of the risks however I have never QTed and it works for me.
P.S. Still hunting for a pair of Wetmorella tanakai for that red colour I may not get in SPS.

OscarHaglund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have taken water over my head here but i just bought 2 juvenile M. bipartitus that have been at the lfs for about two weeks. They are eating well and are active.
Now im wondering how to quarantine? I don’t have access to copper so my alternatives are essentially either tank transfer or molly qt. Thoughts?

OscarHaglund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a mistake to add sand to the leopards tank using tank transfer? I am worried that when they bury in the sand they might not get enough to eat and i may also have to go dig them out when its time to transfer

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back