The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I finally stumbled across my dream wrasse. Halichoeres garnoti, they look stunning even as adults. It seems I have a liking for the larger Halichoeres that aren’t quite so common in tanks.
Here’s two photos I took of the juvenile I almost came home with.
6BCD2FE5-80E7-47C5-AA53-DEDD8C11C709.jpeg
A6740323-456B-4A12-8D70-DE9BBEDF5F2A.jpeg
I’m pretty sure in the top photo her thoughts were “Come at me”

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what did you come home with ?
Unfortunately nothing, but I’m now figuring out whether to go back and grab that juvenile next week.

Crabby, Salty any ideas on the garnoti’s aggression/behaviour?

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I finally stumbled across my dream wrasse. Halichoeres garnoti, they look stunning even as adults. It seems I have a liking for the larger Halichoeres that aren’t quite so common in tanks.
Here’s two photos I took of the juvenile I almost came home with.
6BCD2FE5-80E7-47C5-AA53-DEDD8C11C709.jpeg
A6740323-456B-4A12-8D70-DE9BBEDF5F2A.jpeg
That’s hard one to pass up. I was going to ask you about size and aggression.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s hard one to pass up. I was going to ask you about size and aggression.
I read about them getting to 7 inch but thinking of the growth of my Jade which supposedly gets to a similar size, I’d think they get to around 5.5 inch. As for aggression, I have absolutely no clue. I think if I ever get one it’ll come with an upgrade.
This specimen was a 1.5/2 inch juvenile and stunning. The activity of this species is so calming aswell, nothing like the iridis and chloropterus, it was like this species is a slower swimmer to the two I have currently.

Another issue I came across was as I don’t know how aggressive this species is (Knowing it’s a Halichoeres I figured it had some form of aggression but maybe not enough) I didn’t want to risk it with the chloropterus. Although the more I think of it the more I think that it would’ve been alright as both my iridis and chloropterus were much larger than this guy.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read about them getting to 7 inch but thinking of the growth of my Jade which supposedly gets to a similar size, I’d think they get to around 5.5 inch. As for aggression, I have absolutely no clue. I think if I ever get one it’ll come with an upgrade.
This specimen was a 1.5/2 inch juvenile and stunning. The activity of this species is so calming aswell, nothing like the iridis and chloropterus, it was like this species is a slower swimmer to the two I have currently.
As males they have a look of I’ll tear your tank apart but doubt that.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
regarding aggression they generally play well with other fish. but are quite territorial to other members of the halichoeres especially at their terminal stages.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As males they have a look of I’ll tear your tank apart but doubt that.
That’s one of the things that attracted me to it more than the others. Was that much more obvious change of maturity. Wonder if I did get it what it would do once it reached the age of maturity. Would it become a male like the other two or stay female and submissive.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
regarding aggression they generally play well with other fish. but are quite territorial to other members of the halichoeres especially at their terminal stages.
Yeah, so extremely close in behaviour to chloropterus. The new question to pop up is how much would that aggression change my hierarchy.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant really give you an definite answer on whether to go ahead and pull the trigger or to avoid it. but generally speaking all my wrasse purchases are impulse buys and had no problems (not saying its a good thing). the one I researched was an exquisite wrasse and is a devil.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, so extremely close in behaviour to chloropterus. The new question to pop up is how much would that aggression change my hierarchy.
I really do think it would take some time for the hierarchy to change, maybe once it reaches its terminal stages.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m actually surprised lapillus isn’t more sought after as its pretty much an easier leopard wrasse.
Yes i am think of taking one but also wonder how my leopard and melenarus will react
I don’t think they would react too badly as they’re peaceful species. You may see some aggression at first but that’ll most likely be due to them settling in.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back