The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

EugeneVan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favour wrasse is the harlequin tuskfish. I think it belongs to the wrasse family. I have it in my reef tank for almost 2 years. Never touch any snails or the tuxedo urchins in my tank. Very peacefully to other fish too.

Attachments

• harlequin-tuskfish1.jpg
    harlequin-tuskfish1.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 30

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favour wrasse is the harlequin tuskfish. I think it belongs to the wrasse family. I have it in my reef tank for almost 2 years. Never touch any snails or the tuxedo urchins in my tank. Very peacefully to other fish too.

You should see @OrionN baby tusks.

c_healy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's this wrasse doing? Any new pics?
Unfortunately, no. Lost her after the tank started leaking and had to move them to a holding tank. She really wasn’t ready to be released from my acclimation chamber but I couldn’t feed her in it, while in the tub.
I just got the new tank setup and I’m on the hunt for a few new wrasses.

bjmartie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple answer;
The Sixline will murder all of them. Not one of them (even if added in larger) will survive the six. Sixlines are known as the devil for a reason.

Hard answer;
They could work out depending on your rockscape, however the best bet is to remove the Sixline and the ‘Clouded Wrasse’ I have never heard of that common name however I believe you have Halichoeres margaritaceus or Nebulosus. Without a photo I cant say which you have 100% as both look very similar with minor differences as juveniles. Assuming you have a Margaritaceus you will also want to rehome him as these get 6” and can be nasty.

In short;
Your only real way to get away with the new introductions is rehoming the sixline, a photo of your ‘Clouded’ Wrasse will also help as you may have to rehome that specimen as well.
I'm pretty positive its the Halichoeres Nebulosus, but will take and sense a pic once I get home

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should see @OrionN baby tusks.
Somebody mention my Baby Tusk?
He is growing so fast. From 12/30/22 to today he already grows 1/4 inches. He started out much smaller than the Yellowtail damsels, now he is longer than the largest of the three damsels. I imagine in another 2 weeks he will be larger than the Sixline wrasse.
9712F435-55A5-4117-8B34-5B3F4EF3787D.jpeg
6C028BDE-F05C-4823-BF18-5DCA04783A25.jpeg

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the Indoneisha Turkish and not the Australian tuskfish. The last one I had was orange
There is only a few minor differences between the variants, of which we can only really tell through seeing the tail.
Assuming you mean @OrionN Tusk, we can’t fully tell unless we know the origin of the parents (or collection) as they’re still juveniles.
And as with any variant, the juveniles look almost identical.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what other wrasses would y'all consider for a 100 gallon (60"L x 19"W x 20.5"H)? I scored a free tank and stand today and I'm going to upgrade my 75 gallon.

Current wrasses include:
Cirrhilabrus brunneus
Cirrhilabrus chaliasi
Cirrhilabrus isosceles
Cirrhilabrus labouti
Halichoeres iridis
Halichoeres timorensis

I'm currently considering the following (obviously not all of them, but probably 3 or 4):
Cirrhilabrus briangreenei
Cirrhilabrus lubbocki (Indo) - if I can find a healthy one...
Cirrhilabrus rhomboidalis
Cirrhilabrus rubeus
Halichoeres chrysus
Macropharyngodon bipartitus
Macropharyngodon meleagris
Macropharyngodon negrosensis
Pseudojuloides severnsi

20230124_175716.jpg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How to tell an Australian vs Indo-pacific Tusks?
Indo Tusks have darker face with more black areas, specifically the 2nd and 3rd Orange stripes. More menacing and meaner looking fish. Body orange stripes are thinner in Australian Tusks. While coloration most of the time is brighter in Australian Tusk, this depends so much on the health of the fish, it makes using these criteria unreliable.

Australian
HarlequinTusk2016010601cheek.jpg

Indo-pacific
HarlequinTuskLA Indo4 1.4 inches2cheek.jpg

Indopacific
HarlequinTuskLA Indo5.75inches1.jpg

Australian
HarlequinTuskLAAustralia6inches1.jpg

Last edited:

bjmartie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple answer;
The Sixline will murder all of them. Not one of them (even if added in larger) will survive the six. Sixlines are known as the devil for a reason.

Hard answer;
They could work out depending on your rockscape, however the best bet is to remove the Sixline and the ‘Clouded Wrasse’ I have never heard of that common name however I believe you have Halichoeres margaritaceus or Nebulosus. Without a photo I cant say which you have 100% as both look very similar with minor differences as juveniles. Assuming you have a Margaritaceus you will also want to rehome him as these get 6” and can be nasty.

In short;
Your only real way to get away with the new introductions is rehoming the sixline, a photo of your ‘Clouded’ Wrasse will also help as you may have to rehome that specimen as well.
There he is!

Attachments

• 20230124_211410.jpg
    20230124_211410.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 27

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what other wrasses would y'all consider for a 100 gallon (60"L x 19"W x 20.5"H)? I scored a free tank and stand today and I'm going to upgrade my 75 gallon.

Current wrasses include:
Cirrhilabrus brunneus
Cirrhilabrus chaliasi
Cirrhilabrus isosceles
Cirrhilabrus labouti
Halichoeres iridis
Halichoeres timorensis

I'm currently considering the following (obviously not all of them, but probably 3 or 4):
Cirrhilabrus briangreenei
Cirrhilabrus lubbocki (Indo) - if I can find a healthy one...
Cirrhilabrus rhomboidalis
Cirrhilabrus rubeus
Halichoeres chrysus
Macropharyngodon bipartitus
Macropharyngodon meleagris
Macropharyngodon negrosensis
Pseudojuloides severnsi

20230124_175716.jpg
I’m thinking about a rubeus too! Also love the rhomboidalis and briangreenei too though.
As for the leopards my bipartitus (marisrubri) is transitioning from a beautiful female so I’d maybe get one of the others that has a prettier male form for the inevitable switch. Of course I’d get one of the rarer leopards or a pencil wrasse if I could.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 78 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 30 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back