The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting. Setting up a 230g and looking for some good wrasses. I do like the sand burying ones like leopards etc. Wondering if a "sandbox" is a good idea or if I should just do some other wrasses dont need sand. Thoughts?
I assume you plan BB tank? If so and you want leopards etc just add some sand under the rock structure or a sandbox hidden under the rock or in the back of the tank. i think I have seen rock looking sandboxes you could add.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you have a layer of sand, Leopard and other sand bed wrasse would be fine. I would guess at least 1.5 inches from the behavior of my wrasse. Of course larger wrasse may require deeper sand

Diddle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you plan BB tank? If so and you want leopards etc just add some sand under the rock structure or a sandbox hidden under the rock or in the back of the tank. i think I have seen rock looking sandboxes you could add.

So yeah BB tank and as of now im planning a "sandbox" designed by AquaRocks to look more realistic. Was planning to have about 2" of sand and be about 8 x 8 roughly. So now my next question if thats the sandbox I have would multiple Wrasses burrow in there or would it need to be bigger or is it just going to be one wrasse or wrasses of the same type IE Leopard etc.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd have two if possible....maybe one on each end of the tank. With it 8x8 it might work for multiple sand sleepers but the extra one would be ideal.

Diddle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd have two if possible....maybe one on each end of the tank. With it 8x8 it might work for multiple sand sleepers but the extra one would be ideal.

Thank you for the advice. Appreciate it.

KylerMT98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a black leopard wrasse to my 180g a while back and now want to add another wrasse or two. Any suggestions?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 180 you can add almost anything you want. What other fish in it?
Can add several of almost any of the Flasher or Fairy (not of the same species or closely related). I assume it have a sand bed.
Another one or two Black Leopard is an option.
Or how about a Harlequin Tusk. Here is my juvenile HT. He even color up even more when he get larger.
You may want to look at Hunter's write up on Fairy wrasses and of wrasses in general on top of this forum.
harlequintusk2018120601-jpg.910118

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got two male Isosceles Fairy wrasse. Both are healthy, eating well and grow some. They don't react much to mirror so I put them in my 320 DT together. They have been together for about 2 weeks. No problem, no fighting. They sleep fairly close to each other also. I don't think they want to hang out together or anything like that, but they don't seem to be territorial. I guess some of the fairy are territorial, but Pintail is not one of these species, at least in my case.
How they react to image of themselves is a good indication, IME.
IsoscelesFairy2019091201.jpg

KylerMT98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 180 you can add almost anything you want. What other fish in it?
Can add several of almost any of the Flasher or Fairy (not of the same species or closely related). I assume it have a sand bed.
Another one or two Black Leopard is an option.
Or how about a Harlequin Tusk. Here is my juvenile HT. He even color up even more when he get larger.
You may want to look at Hunter's write up on Fairy wrasses and of wrasses in general on top of this forum.
harlequintusk2018120601-jpg.910118

Here's my current tank stocking:

6" Chocolate Tang
6" Blonde Naso Tang
6" Magnificent Foxface
4.5" Chevron Tang
4" Desjardini Sailfin Tang
3.5" Yellow Tang
3" Mandarin Goby
2x 3" Ocellaris Clowns
3" Bicolor Blenny
3" Black Leopard Wrasse

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
current at situation right now as of Wednesday. Had to put a emergency divider. Poor hooded was getting picked on by the exquisite fairy. And occasionally the pink margin would follow along. So he got divided. And carpenter was added to hooded which seem to be peaceful.

The exquisite is chasing the pink now if lights are on. So I open window for lighting to feed. But window stays closed to cause them to hit the deck and stay put for safety. Kind of bummed out as I thought the exquisite is suppose to be nice. I'm hoping ita justbqt in 20g and he doesnt maul any of the wrasses in the 100g tank with 120lbs rock. Hoping they can find piece.

I bought a eshoppes acclimation box in cause I have to split up the margin and exquisite while in qt. But no chunks taken out of pink yet. Just harassment with chasing.
547981224.jpg
917447304.jpg
535002204.jpg
-53991578.jpg

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My exquisite is a jerk but my larger flame and lineatus keep him under control.
jeez. i thought i read they were chill.. im hoping it calms down in QT otherwise ill be adding another divider and dividing the QT tank in 3 sections.. and for sure. hooded/carpenter are going in after the 30 day QT first.. then pink margin couple days later and exquisite will be in acclimation box for like a week in display as a lesson and hoping others get a grasp on territory lol.

after these i have a yellow eye kole and blue tang... maybe they will punk the exquisite and i wont feel bad one bit?

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lineatus is a jerk he beat up a male rhomboid and chases others including Midas Blenny.

That's actually very predictable. They are in the same complex and rhomboid is one of the most mild mannered Cirrhilabrus while Lineatus is a little on the aggressive side.

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got the eshoppes acclimation box today but im hesitant to use it in QT because once its in QT i wont be able to use it for display cause of copper.. its going to be on hold until i think i absolutely have to if hereally nips at pink margin. but just chasing. or i just splurge and buy another medium box! ughh$$ lol

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use it in the DT after using it in a copper containing QT as long as you clean it thoroughly. Acrylic doesn't absorb copper as far as I know.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just love my Naoko Fairy wrasse, but it is soooo hard to take good picture of him.
Finally got him into my DT. Model citizen but is the smallest of my wrasses. He was emaciated when I got him from Petco, but is fat and healthy now.
NaokoFairy2019091701.jpg

NaokoFairy2019091702.jpg

NaokoFairy2019091703.jpg

Initial picture at Petco the day I got him
NaokoFairy2019080201.jpg

Overboard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just love my Naoko Fairy wrasse, but it is soooo hard to take good picture of him.
Finally got him into my DT. Model citizen but is the smallest of my wrasses. He was emaciated when I got him from Petco, but is fat and healthy now.
NaokoFairy2019091701.jpg

NaokoFairy2019091702.jpg

NaokoFairy2019091703.jpg

Initial picture at Petco the day I got him
NaokoFairy2019080201.jpg

He is beautiful! Is he aggressive towards your other fairy wrasses?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back