The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to keeping wrasses. Just got a pintail fairy about a week ago and was considering adding this red head solon that my LFS has. Will these two be aggressive towards one another?
According to the chart I always follow, it maybe a problem. The pintail my favorite is the most docile wrasse there is, add another pintail if you want, that is how docile they are.
WRASSE.png
(full link here: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/cirrhilabrus-complexes-inferiority-need-not-apply-1st-revision.352/)
It's an iffy bet, depending on the size of the tank.
Do wrasses eat micro brittle stars or are they so efficient at eating and so quick that the micro starfish starve out? I transferred everything from my 180 last Sunday into my new 310 and there was not one micro brittle star or bristle worm. I have kept micro brittle stars in all my tanks for 15 years. They seem to be missing in my office tank also? The only wrasse before a year ago was a cleaner.
Genus dependent. Halichoeres, Coris, Macropharyngodon (to some extent), Anampses (to some extent as well), & Pseudojuloides will. Other genera won't effect them much if at all.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which wrasses are best for bare bottom reef?
There are ten(ish) genera of wrasses which are considered to be reef safe and are commonly available in the trade. They are: Anampses, Cirrhilabrus, Halichoeres, Labroides, Macropharyngodon, Paracheilinus, Pseudocheilinus, Pseudocheilinops, Pseudojuloides, and Wetmorella.
Some genera sleep or seek refuge in the sand. These genera require a sand bed in the tank of at least 1” in depth. Also, the sand does not need to be sugar-fine, but should not be as coarse as crushed coral – this can lead to abrasions and bacterial infections for the sand-sleepers. Sand 2-4mm in grain size is suitable. Only these genera require sand; other genera sleep in a mucus cocoon in the rockwork or crevices: Anampses, Halichoeres, Macropharyngodon, and Pseudojuloides.
Beyond that; "best" is subjective. What are your goals? Tank size?

KPersico

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Beyond that; "best" is subjective. What are your goals? Tank size?

510g (130 x 25 1/2 x 36 1/2 tall)

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which wrasses are best for bare bottom reef?

I've got a 45G tank that's bare bottom, and am considering breaking my captive bred fish only rule for a Pink Streaked Wrasse or Possum Wrasse. Thanks for asking the question!

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
510g (130 x 25 1/2 x 36 1/2 tall)
Well, that's still pretty limited information; the best I can say is pick from the following genera:
Cirrhilabrus, Paracheilinus, Pseudocheilinops, and Wetmorella.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evolved not sure if I ever thanked you for putting out that chart, so thank you! I follow it 100%, every time I think about getting a wrasse I bring that chart up which sits on my desk top for Compatibility.
Wow, thanks much! It's not infallible, but I am glad people find it useful.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, thanks much! It's not infallible, but I am glad people find it useful.

maybe not quite infallible, but without your wrasse threads on here, i'd be rolling around with h. ornatassimus, c. filamentosus, and a sixline probably. oh and probably a scotts. all of which i've had LFS try to send my way.. certain for impending disaster

i also very much appreciate the effort you put forth on the lovely missile shaped fish

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excited to say I'll be joining the wrasse lovers club. Just placed an order for my first wrasse other than a 6-line.
Starting with these 3.
C. Jordani
C. Isosceles
P. Carpenteri

I'm irrationally excited about it. Hopefully this isn't a bad starting point for someone new to these little guys.

Jcarvallo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excited to say I'll be joining the wrasse lovers club. Just placed an order for my first wrasse other than a 6-line.
Starting with these 3.
C. Jordani
C. Isosceles
P. Carpenteri

I'm irrationally excited about it. Hopefully this isn't a bad starting point for someone new to these little guys.
Will those 3 be in the same tank than the sixline?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will those 3 be in the same tank than the sixline?
After 3 years the sixline has passed on. Smart fish and couldn't catch him so I gave up on my dream of other wrasses. He was full grown when I got him so no idea how old he was. Now that he is gone the door is open to more options.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting with these 3.
C. Jordani
C. Isosceles
P. Carpenteri

Great choices Brew!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great choices Brew!
Thanks! Evolved's chart is incredibly useful. I was going to ask him for advice on how to stock it but knowing his taste I would have had to mortgage my house! :p

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Evolved's chart is incredibly useful. I was going to ask him for advice on how to stock it but knowing his taste I would have had to mortgage my house! :p
Some of heard this before, but I don't like to give people specific suggestions. Beyond the compatibility choices, it's a personal choice based on what visually appeals to you, what you want to spend, and what you can actually find for purchase.
Plus, if I gave recommendations then everyone would just have my favorites, and that's no fun or uniqueness in that! :)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus, if I gave recommendations then everyone would just have my favorites, and that's no fun or uniqueness in that! :)
I actually had fun with picking out the ones I wanted. It was like a puzzle. Find which colors were available in each peaceful category and then figuring out how to piece it together to get the best variety.
and what you can actually find for purchase.
Speaking of availability. I haven't seen a Beau's wrasse for sale since I started looking. I thought they were fairly common. Did something change?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of availability. I haven't seen a Beau's wrasse for sale since I started looking. I thought they were fairly common. Did something change?
Pretty seasonal, actually. But, also a species that holds color poorly.
This is my female ornate leopard wrasse, thought she wasnt going to make it but seems to be pulling through :)
I just learned how to color correct a bit and hope to get better.

(she looks angry all the time, which makes me laugh, its her eyes ;Wacky)
ornate leopard wrasse.png
ornate leopard wrasse 2.png
"She" is well on the way to full male, already as a transitional male. ;)

Back