The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Being upside down is odd, but wedging/hiding while sleeping is normal. Probably still stressed and adjusting to environment as well as light schedule.

Only fish in QT? Mine have faired better with a companion.

ARCkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Being upside down is odd, but wedging/hiding while sleeping is normal. Probably still stressed and adjusting to environment as well as light schedule.

Only fish in QT? Mine have faired better with a companion.
I got the wrasse on the 14th, along with a Rainford's goby, a segmented sailfin blenny and three Springer's damsels. They are in an established 50 long that I had been using as a frag tank. With the anticipated increase in bio load I moved the frags and added some ammonium chloride for the bacteria. NH3 went from .05 to undetectable in three days. I also added Fritzyme to the tank the evening I added the fish.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im looking at McCosker wrasses, a vendor has them listed from both asia and africa. the african fish are more expensive. do the african varities color up more or something? i see LA offers the same too. any thoughts on either an african or asian mccosker flasher wrasse?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am posting this picture because it has simply become my favorite fish overnight. When you see the list of fish I added Friday you will under stand. I added a Gem tang, Purple tang, D. Sailfin tang, Blonde Naso tang, Orange Back Fairy wrasse, and a Eightline Flasher wrasse this Friday, and I question whether or not @tsmaquatics sent me a Supermale. The picture below, and it will never do it justice, is of my Eighltline Flasher wrasse. It has quickly become my favorite. I may need to buy a Canon T6 or higher to take pictures that will do it justice. It has quickly become my favorite. The colors are beyond stunning to say the least. Truly a underrated wrasse when compared to a Supermale Lineatus or Rhomboid wrasse, IMO!!!

20210723_173623.jpg
20210723_173625.jpg

Trust me when I say the fish looks 100x's better in real life than in this picture.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse photo bomb

20210724_102751.jpg

In the picture are a Pintail Fairy wrasse, behind it is the Eightline Flasher wrasse, in the background is my Blue Star Leopard wrasse, and my close second beloved wrasse is my Orange Back Fairy wrasse. The only wrasse I have left that didn't want to take a photo is my Yellow Flanked Fairy wrasse.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse photo bomb

20210724_102751.jpg

In the picture are a Pintail Fairy wrasse, behind it is the Eightline Flasher wrasse, in the background is my Blue Star Leopard wrasse, and my close second beloved wrasse is my Orange Back Fairy wrasse. The only wrasse I have left that didn't want to take a photo is my Yellow Flanked Fairy wrasse.
Very nice wrasse collection!!

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am posting this picture because it has simply become my favorite fish overnight. When you see the list of fish I added Friday you will under stand. I added a Gem tang, Purple tang, D. Sailfin tang, Blonde Naso tang, Orange Back Fairy wrasse, and a Eightline Flasher wrasse this Friday, and I question whether or not @tsmaquatics sent me a Supermale. The picture below, and it will never do it justice, is of my Eighltline Flasher wrasse. It has quickly become my favorite. I may need to buy a Canon T6 or higher to take pictures that will do it justice. It has quickly become my favorite. The colors are beyond stunning to say the least. Truly a underrated wrasse when compared to a Supermale Lineatus or Rhomboid wrasse, IMO!!!

20210723_173623.jpg
20210723_173625.jpg

Trust me when I say the fish looks 100x's better in real life than in this picture.

I saw that wrasse on their site and thought more than once about pulling the trigger. I'm glad someone picked it up. Very nice.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a wrasse from my LFS that was sold to me as a Carpenter wrasse. Took it home and put it in a QT tank for observation. It's been there 4 days now, and doing fine. Eating like a pig and getting along with his new tankmates. I just noticed last night when I saw it flash for the first time, that it only has a single elongated dorsal fin, not 3 of them....
most pics of carpenter wrasses shows 3 long dorsal fins, but mine only has one.... If the long fins have been damaged or broken, will they grow back? or is it more likely that this isn't a Carpenter and might me a McCosker instead? As I understand they look pretty similar but the McCosker only has a single elongated dorsal fin.

Unfortunately, my QT tank has poor lighting and getting good pics of him flashing has proven to be impossible so far.
If I can get a good pic, I'll post it, but I'll be heading out of town for a week, so it might not happen until I get back.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a wrasse from my LFS that was sold to me as a Carpenter wrasse. Took it home and put it in a QT tank for observation. It's been there 4 days now, and doing fine. Eating like a pig and getting along with his new tankmates. I just noticed last night when I saw it flash for the first time, that it only has a single elongated dorsal fin, not 3 of them....
most pics of carpenter wrasses shows 3 long dorsal fins, but mine only has one.... If the long fins have been damaged or broken, will they grow back? or is it more likely that this isn't a Carpenter and might me a McCosker instead? As I understand they look pretty similar but the McCosker only has a single elongated dorsal fin.

Unfortunately, my QT tank has poor lighting and getting good pics of him flashing has proven to be impossible so far.
If I can get a good pic, I'll post it, but I'll be heading out of town for a week, so it might not happen until I get back.
Mccoskers are so beautiful

BelieveInBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She will grow! Post up a pic when you can.
She's finally settled in enough to be out and about.

Here's a pic at the store that I took to send to evolved for ID:
IMG_2365[1].JPG

And here she is about 2 weeks later, still a little shy around the phone, but has no issues swimming around out in the open otherwise.

She's starting to transition nicely and is eating both frozen and dried foods voraciously.

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure on this wrasse ID? Larger one is a flasher wrasse. Smaller one I got from LFS but it wasn't labeled.

Attachments

• 20210714_155439.jpg
    20210714_155439.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 20210714_015825.jpg
    20210714_015825.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 20210714_015826.jpg
    20210714_015826.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 48

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on this wrasse ID? Larger one is a flasher wrasse. Smaller one I got from LFS but it wasn't labeled.
Pics are dark and a bit fuzzy, but looks like C. filamentosus (whip-fin fairy). The other one is a Carpenter's flasher wrasse.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Finally got a few pics of the new wrasse, although I can't get any of him flashing, so not sure how good these will be for ID purposes.... What do you think? Carpenter or McCosker? (was labeled carpenter, but only has a single elongated dorsal ray, not 2 or 3 of them)

Attachments

• 20210729_233158.jpg
    20210729_233158.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 20210729_233150.jpg
    20210729_233150.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 32

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Finally got a few pics of the new wrasse, although I can't get any of him flashing, so not sure how good these will be for ID purposes.... What do you think? Carpenter or McCosker? (was labeled carpenter, but only has a single elongated dorsal ray, not 2 or 3 of them)
McCosker? I got my flasher from live aquaria. If you go in their website I noticed a major difference was the black or yellow tail. My flasher has a blacktail.

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pics are dark and a bit fuzzy, but looks like C. filamentosus (whip-fin fairy). The other one is a Carpenter's flasher wrasse.
Thank you. I'll keep an eye in it as it matures to see if it develops any traits to differentiate it... yeah the larger one I got from. Live aquaria.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mccoskers

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, this seems to be my best bet on chaot's wrasse acclimation.

The wrasse is established. It's been in a tank for two years already. I've added a large section of sand about 4" deep against my back wall (tank was barebottom) for it to sleep. Just FYI, this is temporary until my tank upgrade that's due to arrive in september. That will be full sand.

So, normally all fish go in acclimation/socialization box for a few day in my tanks. Even with this guy being established I really don't want to stress him out not being able to dwell in sand.

Fish list:

Wrasse:
Pintail - Boss
flasher submissive
Others:
Powder brown tang - newly introduced from QT and mellow
Scopas tang - Newly introduced at same time
very small sailfin, pretty mellow
very small tomini kinda a punk to select fish - main reason I acclimate new additions in a box
bangaii not horrible
2 clowns
1.3 sunset anthias.

The tomini is my only concern but I intentionally added a much larger powder brown and scopas in hopes of a new more peaceful hierarchy and so far aggression has dropped WAY down with the tomini.

He's already shown interest when I feed and looks extremely healhty and fat.

What will be more stressful, the box/ not having sand dwelling? Or being the fresh meat lights on tomorrow? I know my previous blue star wouldnt take any umph from anyone and this fellas about the same size. I think he may be male already around 3-3.5"

Thanks,

Matt

BelieveInBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, this seems to be my best bet on chaot's wrasse acclimation.

The wrasse is established. It's been in a tank for two years already. I've added a large section of sand about 4" deep against my back wall (tank was barebottom) for it to sleep. Just FYI, this is temporary until my tank upgrade that's due to arrive in september. That will be full sand.

So, normally all fish go in acclimation/socialization box for a few day in my tanks. Even with this guy being established I really don't want to stress him out not being able to dwell in sand.

Fish list:

Wrasse:
Pintail - Boss
flasher submissive
Others:
Powder brown tang - newly introduced from QT and mellow
Scopas tang - Newly introduced at same time
very small sailfin, pretty mellow
very small tomini kinda a punk to select fish - main reason I acclimate new additions in a box
bangaii not horrible
2 clowns
1.3 sunset anthias.

The tomini is my only concern but I intentionally added a much larger powder brown and scopas in hopes of a new more peaceful hierarchy and so far aggression has dropped WAY down with the tomini.

He's already shown interest when I feed and looks extremely healhty and fat.

What will be more stressful, the box/ not having sand dwelling? Or being the fresh meat lights on tomorrow? I know my previous blue star wouldnt take any umph from anyone and this fellas about the same size. I think he may be male already around 3-3.5"

Thanks,

Matt

I have a squaretail bristletooth who's about 2 inches and a complete jerk to new fish. I find that turning off the lights for the day seems to work pretty well. Turn the light off about 2 hours before introducing the fish, so that everything retreats into the rocks, then add the fish and leave the lights off until the next day. There might still be a little bit of chasing, but it goes away completely after a couple days.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back