The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone tell me what kind of wrasse this is (scientific name and common name)? The LFS called it a orange stripe pencil wrasse, but I can't find any info on it. It's beautiful. White with orange stripes with a little yellow at the back.

And just as important, how reef safe are these and would it do okay with a Melanurus, Black Leopard, and Pintail? Bad pic, sorry.
PXL_20211124_212236193.PORTRAIT.jpg

Thanks!
--Kyle

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone tell me what kind of wrasse this is (scientific name and common name)? The LFS called it a orange stripe pencil wrasse, but I can't find any info on it. It's beautiful. White with orange stripes with a little yellow at the back.

And just as important, how reef safe are these and would it do okay with a Melanurus, Black Leopard, and Pintail? Bad pic, sorry.

Thanks!
--Kyle
It’s a Hologymnosus wrasse, pretty sure it’s a hologymnosus rhodonotus. They can get over 12’’ and will end up eating any fish and invert that will fit in their mouth.

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a Hologymnosus wrasse, pretty sure it’s a hologymnosus rhodonotus. They can get over 12’’ and will end up eating any fish and invert that will fit in their mouth.

12"? Dang, probably not a fit for my tank (although I don't have any small fish - and no small shrimp). Thank you,
--Kyle

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!
--Kyle
Looks to me like a red stripe hog of some sort but they aren’t unknown to reach larger sizes than most of the wrasses we know.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe this one was either transitioning or full out male, looked almost exactly like this:
1637484063291.png

Most of them look a bit meh on google images, but I was really impressed seeing one in real. Time for another tank upgrade I guess..... My wish list keeps growing.

This is what they look like as mature males (they are still beautiful).

Redline raw.jpg

This was him a few years earlier in QT with my puppy dog purple tang.

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what they look like as mature males (they are still beautiful).

Redline raw.jpg

This was him a few years earlier in QT with my puppy dog purple tang.
So it’s very similar in looks to the melanurus but has the clear differences that separate the two then? I may just have to get one if I have room after these next 3 fish. I’ve never personally liked the melanurus but that’s because of how hard to get they are over here, many of the wrasses I like are uncommon-kind of common, the melanurus’ pop up like once every year where as the reds I’ve seen appear spread throughout the year.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS had a blue spotted tamarin not too long ago but gets way too big for my tank.

Was happy to find this gal this week… during the black friday sales no less.

Letting it settle in a 10g with some rock before I attempt to QT. On day two… won’t eat from water column but eating pods and masstick.

22472531-52FD-4EE7-B550-E3BC1D3753B3.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS had a blue spotted tamarin not too long ago but gets way too big for my tank.

Was happy to find this gal this week… during the black friday sales no less.

Letting it settle in a 10g with some rock before I attempt to QT. On day two… won’t eat from water column but eating pods and masstick.

22472531-52FD-4EE7-B550-E3BC1D3753B3.jpeg
My LFS had a blue spotted tamarin last week and it was about 0.5” so I dread to think how fast they can grow. your yellow tail tamarin must be small if that’s only a part of the 10g tank! I think that might be the best way of going through QT with a more sensitive fish, getting it established in a smaller tank that’s more like a reef then putting it through qt.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS had a blue spotted tamarin last week and it was about 0.5” so I dread to think how fast they can grow. your yellow tail tamarin must be small if that’s only a part of the 10g tank! I think that might be the best way of going through QT with a more sensitive fish, getting it established in a smaller tank that’s more like a reef then putting it through qt.

Shes maybe 2.5 inches from tip to tip of tail. Not too small.

Idk I have been burned before by acclimating in a conditioning tank too. Fish looks great and is eating, then suddenly velvet or something sets in and they are dead in 12-24 hours. I am more or less hoping since it is a wrasse that it will be a bit resistant to disease.

I picked up a royal gramma, this wrasse, and a diamond goby. They all looked great... the gramma and diamond went into a different tank. The goby was dead the same day by the time I got home from work. It was making a cave and acting normal at the LFS. Looks like something rapidly deteriorated it's fins (no CUC in the tank it is in so not that). The royal gramma still looks ok in that tank.

Mean Girls Idk GIF by filmeditor

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep catching my Cebu lubbock flashing now! I hope I can eventually get a photo of both Lubbock’s flashing at the same time, they truly do show opposite colours while also show the same colours at the same time! These fish truly are spectacular, but I think it takes the right eye to appreciate them.

TDEcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions on who to buy flasher and/or fairy wrasses from? So far I've been keeping my eyes on TSM Aquatics and Divers Den, but I've had bad luck with LiveAquaria so I'm not sure I'd risk ordering from them again. Seems like the selection at most places has been lacking, which I'm assuming is related to covid.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions on who to buy flasher and/or fairy wrasses from? So far I've been keeping my eyes on TSM Aquatics and Divers Den, but I've had bad luck with LiveAquaria so I'm not sure I'd risk ordering from them again. Seems like the selection at most places has been lacking, which I'm assuming is related to covid.
ReefProstore.com They have a Red Sea 8-line flasher for sale. I've been eying it. Buy it before I do.

TDEcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ReefProstore.com They have a Red Sea 8-line flasher for sale. I've been eying it. Buy it before I do.
Wow I'd never heard of them, but they have a nice selection and the prices aren't bad either. I also really like that they quarantine their fish too [edit: I see now that they say they don't sell fully quarantine fish]. I might have to place an order if their shipping is reasonable. Looks like they only have a DOA policy though, rather than a guarantee of a couple days or whatever. Any thoughts on NY Aquatic?

Last edited:

Haacheew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could someone identify the name of my wrasse please. Is it male or female? I am not sure it is a Vrolik Wrasse or not because it does show a special glowing "golden line" only under the right viewing (lighting) angles. Here are some photos.

010.JPG

020.JPG

030.JPG

040.JPG

050.JPG

Attachments

• 060.JPG
    060.JPG
    261.2 KB · Views: 30

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could someone identify the name of my wrasse please. Is it male or female? I am not sure it is a Vrolik Wrasse or not because it does show a special glowing "golden line" only under the right viewing (lighting) angles. Here are some photos.

010.JPG

020.JPG

030.JPG

040.JPG

050.JPG
You have a beautiful male halichoeres biocellatus.

websurfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
Since this is all about Wrasse I thought this would be the best place to ask.
I have been reading a lot on this and I cant find a good answer. I recently was giving a whole thank setup and One of the fish that I really like is the Blue Star Leopard wrasse.

The pervious owner has had it for about 6 months now its fully healthy with no issues at the moment.

Now my question is this i really want to get the male. However Im not sure if i can buy to females and one will turn or if i have to by juvenile's and if so how do you no if they are not sexed yet.

here is the shot of my current which I believe is a girl but have no clue.

IMG_2149.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
Since this is all about Wrasse I thought this would be the best place to ask.
I have been reading a lot on this and I cant find a good answer. I recently was giving a whole thank setup and One of the fish that I really like is the Blue Star Leopard wrasse.

The pervious owner has had it for about 6 months now its fully healthy with no issues at the moment.

Now my question is this i really want to get the male. However Im not sure if i can buy to females and one will turn or if i have to by juvenile's and if so how do you no if they are not sexed yet.

here is the shot of my current which I believe is a girl but have no clue.

IMG_2149.jpg
You can buy another female however with wrasse it’s more recommended to have 3 females so one will become male and the other two will stay female and the male has a choice over pestering one female constantly.
Also yes yours is a Beautiful female M. bipartitus, makes look completely different in colour (Body shapes are very similar).

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back