themcfreak's 85g upgrade

themcfreak

A Surfing Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All! Excited to say that I am in the process of preparing for an upgrade from my current 42 gallon Planet Aquarium rimless to a brand new 85 gallon Planet Aquarium rimless with ghost overflow! It will be a process, but the biggest first step has been taken, and tank is ordered!

Attaching a few pics of my current build. 42g with standard Durso overflow. 1 Ecotech Radion XR30 pro, 2 BRS reactors for GFO and Carbon, Cor-20 return, 2 Vortech MP10wQD, Bubble Magus C3.5 skimmer, Jager Ehaim heater, and Tunze Osmolator. Also have a cheap fan in case it gets too warm under the cabinet.

Have a new Apex with WMX module for Radion and Vortech control, FMM meters on return and reactors, 2 DOS, one for calcium/alkalinity coming out of a DDR, and one for automatic water changes being fed by and drained into 2 Trigger 10 gallon reservoirs. Use a 3rd Trigger reservoir for the actual ATO supply.

Most of the electrical is in a cabinet next to the tank. I moved recently so haven't cleaned up the wires, but it will all get mounted and cleaned during the new build. Next post or 2 will be about some of the hardware changes I am making, probably ask some advice also.

2ajUn50HRECScw7Vegturw.jpg

fTwETQWeQOmpNXiKQTN1ug.jpg

GS0VqCUcRkCWwuEX2wVTFQ.jpg

NSlLnxsaR%+dYoK6YcLYaA.jpg

iFBegdz8TA+PL4pRfj8%OA.jpg

OP
OP
themcfreak

themcfreak

A Surfing Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In those pictures I posted, a couple of notes. My War Coral and Birdsnest look a little rough. Had a cyano outbreak a few weeks ago, and they haven't fully recovered. War Coral is already looking much better on top, Birdsnest is still iffy.

Paper towels around plumbing were to absorb a couple of tiny leaks right after I moved some plumbing when putting the new Cor-20 in. They have stopped, but I haven't removed the towels. I wouldn't have put the Cor-20 in when I received it, but at the time I didn't realize I was about to order a new tank. It was semi-impulsive, but new tanks are great, and I'm doubling volume and space underneath! SO EXCITED!

OP
OP
themcfreak

themcfreak

A Surfing Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, just mounted all my RO/DI equipment in a cleaner way. Used to be on a rolling little cart that I could move around, but I have a larger laundry room after moving here a few months ago, that I could permanently hook into the water line, so wanted a cleaner mount that I could see everything at one glance (before, I had to turn the entire cart around to check the DI resin and make sure it wasn't exhausted). Have some more RO tubing ordered to clean up the tubes hanging out, but its much cleaner, and was super easy. Just 1 screw at the top of a 1x14 board (that is sitting on the ground) into a stud in the wall, and that thing isn't budging.

Qx5eHvMMR62SyKJqOtpq+g.jpg

OP
OP
themcfreak

themcfreak

A Surfing Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little bit about me before we get into new tank: been reefing for about 6-7 years now. Started with a 3 gallon tank with some softies and 1-2 small fish. It was fun, but the top off. So much top off without an easy automated way to do it.. (At the time, I rented a bedroom at a friend's house). It didn't last long before I had a 20 gallon standard tank from Petsmart and moved everything over. It lasted a little longer, but I longed for more. I had a friend selling their JBJ 28g nano-cube, so I bought it, and moved on up a little bit again. It lasted me a few years. It has compact fluorescent lighting, and filtration was always a little nightmarish, but it worked. It moved with me into an apartment, where I eventually removed the lid and put a HD Prime light on it. However, I wanted a bigger tank again, with a sump for equipment. I hated the cords and stuff sticking up behind the tank.

Then I got my current 42 gallon system. Just under a year ago. It had a sump, room for plumbing, an overflow, and everything a reefer could ever dream of! I got a better skimmer (my current), better light (my current), better everything! I could have more fish, my rocks for my corals, bigger everything! I got an APEX to watch every little detail, starting dosing calcium/alkalinity, started testing stuff on my own and not relying on the fish store to do it all every time! IT WAS GREAT! In all honesty, this tank really brought me in tune with what my reef aquarium was. I began to understand how everything worked, why certain things were needed. Why some things were bad. I started making my own saltwater, rather than buying at the store. I started reading Randy Holmes-Farley's articles in depth (although a lot of the chemistry is beyond me, I understood why stuff was affecting my tank). By no means did I (or have I) become a pro, but I definitely matured a ton. And then got envious of bigger builds. And wanted bigger. And wanted more. So here I am, ready to start my journey on a new tank, set it up from the get go how I want (obviously to change it all again in 6 months, but shh). I hope you enjoy this build thread with me, I know it will be fun to post. Never done anything like this. Sorry for this long winded (busy finger-typed?) post. I promise they won't all be emotional and wordy. Enjoy!

OP
OP
themcfreak

themcfreak

A Surfing Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
themcfreak

themcfreak

A Surfing Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have already ordered my new sump. I didn't like the Trigger crystal that would have come with the Planet Aquarium by default, so ordered the Trigger Sapphire Sump 39. I know it is a little bigger than necessary, but it will fit under the cabinet with about 6" left on the side, and I like the idea of more water volume. Also, setting up the refugium for the first time ever is exciting. Can't wait to grow some chaeto and breed a pod population.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/sapphire-sump-39-trigger-systems.html

OP
OP
themcfreak

themcfreak

A Surfing Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Input requested: Refugium.

Going to have a refugium for the first time, and wanted to get some ideas. Planning on running Chaeto. Was going to throw some MarinePure in, but @Randy Holmes-Farley articles and posts made me rethink that. So what are people doing? Mud, sand, nothing as a base in fuge? I plan on having copepods and such, so figured some kind of substrate was good, but what kind, if any?

OP
OP
themcfreak

themcfreak

A Surfing Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some boxes today!!! Got my Trigger Sump 39 and stocked up on some media!

I want so bad to take the sump out of the box, but I don't have the tank yet, so going to leave it in for now to keep clean.

92wbT7FCROyst34PBThzMw.jpg

y99JjZqoQzeGMVyDs8GjGw.jpg

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have already ordered my new sump. I didn't like the Trigger crystal that would have come with the Planet Aquarium by default, so ordered the Trigger Sapphire Sump 39. I know it is a little bigger than necessary, but it will fit under the cabinet with about 6" left on the side, and I like the idea of more water volume. Also, setting up the refugium for the first time ever is exciting. Can't wait to grow some chaeto and breed a pod population.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/sapphire-sump-39-trigger-systems.html
great choice, i just got the 72" sump for my new 300 build. i start putting it together when i start putting it together as soon as my house is done in 30 days...cant wait

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little bit about me before we get into new tank: been reefing for about 6-7 years now. Started with a 3 gallon tank with some softies and 1-2 small fish. It was fun, but the top off. So much top off without an easy automated way to do it.. (At the time, I rented a bedroom at a friend's house). It didn't last long before I had a 20 gallon standard tank from Petsmart and moved everything over. It lasted a little longer, but I longed for more. I had a friend selling their JBJ 28g nano-cube, so I bought it, and moved on up a little bit again. It lasted me a few years. It has compact fluorescent lighting, and filtration was always a little nightmarish, but it worked. It moved with me into an apartment, where I eventually removed the lid and put a HD Prime light on it. However, I wanted a bigger tank again, with a sump for equipment. I hated the cords and stuff sticking up behind the tank.

Then I got my current 42 gallon system. Just under a year ago. It had a sump, room for plumbing, an overflow, and everything a reefer could ever dream of! I got a better skimmer (my current), better light (my current), better everything! I could have more fish, my rocks for my corals, bigger everything! I got an APEX to watch every little detail, starting dosing calcium/alkalinity, started testing stuff on my own and not relying on the fish store to do it all every time! IT WAS GREAT! In all honesty, this tank really brought me in tune with what my reef aquarium was. I began to understand how everything worked, why certain things were needed. Why some things were bad. I started making my own saltwater, rather than buying at the store. I started reading Randy Holmes-Farley's articles in depth (although a lot of the chemistry is beyond me, I understood why stuff was affecting my tank). By no means did I (or have I) become a pro, but I definitely matured a ton. And then got envious of bigger builds. And wanted bigger. And wanted more. So here I am, ready to start my journey on a new tank, set it up from the get go how I want (obviously to change it all again in 6 months, but shh). I hope you enjoy this build thread with me, I know it will be fun to post. Never done anything like this. Sorry for this long winded (busy finger-typed?) post. I promise they won't all be emotional and wordy. Enjoy!
watching and following along, good luck with the new tank

OP
OP
themcfreak

themcfreak

A Surfing Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Placed my next big order. Another light (1 Radion isn't enough for new tank, so ordered a second), MP40, cable to connect new skimmer to APEX, went ahead and ordered a Hanna Alk monitor (heard so much good about it), and new carbon for my RO/DI system. Can't wait for it to come in, along with another order I placed on Tuesday (will arrive Wednesday). After this, all I have left to buy is plumbing!!! and for the tank itself to arrive.. lol

OP
OP
themcfreak

themcfreak

A Surfing Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More boxes!!!! 2 more orders coming in after this one, and I should have everything, except for the tank!

Got 1 of the MP40s, my Reef Octopus 150 skimmer, some misc supplies, a RO tank to hook up to my system, an Aquariclip, Neptune BOB for lighting under the cabinet and some automated switches for feeding and such! Can't wait for the rest!

vWBkjYLRQjWcCc408dxV+g.jpg

8DtnIJzQRsWWaJKHNe1iCw.jpg

2G5raniOQDqJWs7rTr6TTA.jpg

B4t0uvXlQZuO7j%qd9vx3Q.jpg

5a6vEbLqT0+RsfGymqf5Hg.jpg

OP
OP
themcfreak

themcfreak

A Surfing Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Y3WviX2hRcGVypJDwZFQ8g.jpg
Another box, more stuff for my upgrade! Almost have it all! In this shipment: a 2nd Ecotech Radion XR30 and mount, a 2nd MP40, a Hanna Alk tester, cord to plug my Reef Octopus 150int (Varios) into Apex for controllability, BRS towel, BRS chair (free!), FMK for Apex (2nd one for more pipes), and some carbon blocks for RO system. All thats left is plumbing supplies and the actual aquarium!!

OP
OP
themcfreak

themcfreak

A Surfing Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ITS HERE!!!!! MY TANK HAS ARRIVED. now if only I had already ordered the plumbing supplies I needed, but was hesitant because I wasn't sure exactly how it would all fit. So Tank is here, plumbing is ordered. Plan is for it to come in by Tuesday or so, plumb Wed/Thu night, test Friday with fresh, and start migrating Saturday!

afnmH7nAT1uW8YhFfn6Q6Q.jpg

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ITS HERE!!!!! MY TANK HAS ARRIVED. now if only I had already ordered the plumbing supplies I needed, but was hesitant because I wasn't sure exactly how it would all fit. So Tank is here, plumbing is ordered. Plan is for it to come in by Tuesday or so, plumb Wed/Thu night, test Friday with fresh, and start migrating Saturday!

That is awesome!!! Like Christmas morning, I cannot wait to get to the point of boxes and boxes of fun stuff.. lol

Tim Olson

Love to Learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That looks like a nice tank and a good size too.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back